Nothing says “romance” like a glass of fine wine. Sonoma County and Napa Valley, CA form the epicenter of the verdant wine-lover’s dreamland known as California wine country. This is one of the best growing regions in the world for wine grapes, resulting in dozens of vineyards and a seemingly endless array of vintages.
Add in their variety of luxurious spas, and it becomes clearer than ever that Sonoma and Napa Valley are the perfect place to unwind. From a Cedar Enzyme Bath at the Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary to a Rose Petal Body Polish at the award-winning McArthur Place Hotel & Spa, California wine country is your oyster for romantic pampering and invigorating treatments.
Prefer something a little more fast-paced? Active couples can pedal through the region’s rolling hills and quaint country roads on a bike tour. Take to the skies into a hot air balloon for stunning views of the gorgeous California landscape. Get the most of the pleasant, sunny weather with world-class golf courses. Flirt beneath ancient Redwoods in the Armstrong Reserve. Glide through warm-water bays on kayaks, laze along rivers on a canoe, or go white-knuckle and take to the rapids on a rafting expedition.
Whether you’re more spa nut, wine enthusiast, adrenaline junkie, or a bit of all three, California wine country gives the best of all worlds.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of California Wine Country
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- Getting There: Sonoma County has its own small airport with regional flights. Most travelers will make a connection in Portland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, or other nearby cities for a local flight to wine country.
- Rent a Car: Attractions and activities are spread out, so rent a car to make everything you want to see and do easy to access.
- Wine & Driving Don’t Mix: To get the most out of California’s world-class wine country safely, book a tour that provides transportation. No one should have to be the designated driver for their own honeymoon!
- When to Visit: While beautiful year-round, rainfall is highest during the winter months. May through October are most popular, though frugal honeymooners might snag discounts during the off-peak season.
- Shop for Packages: Streamline planning and get all the best California wine country has to offer by shopping for inclusive honeymoon packages. These can get you wine tours, spa days, outdoor activities, and a hotel stay for one price, potentially more affordably than if you booked them all separately.
- Wine Time: You’ve arrived in one of the wine capitals of the world, so let loose your inner sommelier and sample the region’s finest.
- Dine ‘Till You Drop: California wine country’s dining scene is known for uber-fresh produce, seafood, and other ingredients harvested from local farms and waterways. Although other honeymoon destinations have now begun incorporating a “Farm to Table” philosophy, it was already the standard for many Sonoma County and Napa Valley restaurants.
- Quarryhill Botanical Garden: Enjoy 25 acres’ worth of rare Asian plants and along with waterfalls, tranquil pathways, and stunning overlooks of the valley that feel like something from a fairy tale, all right in Sonoma County.
- Vineyards on Two Wheels: Exploring Sonoma’s gorgeous vineyards and rugged coastline by bicycle lets you get up-close and personal with wine country. Just don’t drink and ride!
- Go Sky-High: Float above wine country’s vineyards and valleys in a hot air balloon, and get a breathtaking bird’s eye view.
- Market Mornings: Check out local farmer’s markets for farm-fresh produce, artisan cheeses, and more.