The low-key, relaxed, and undeniably happy city of San Luis Obispo lies between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and offers a quiet side of life with more than enough charm to go around. Combining a southwestern cowboy aesthetic with plenty of California cool, couples here can explore pygmy forests, tour California wineries, wander through a colonial Spanish mission, and laze by the beach -- all in the same honeymoon.
Oh, and the dining in this city is top-notch! Add in the perfect, Mediterranean-style California weather, and you have the perfect place for a honeymoon that's equal parts fun, sun, charm, and peace and quiet. When it comes to destination weddings, San Luis Obispo is also picture-perfect.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of San Luis Obispo
- GO ON A MISSION: The Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is a must-visit site. Founded in 1772, this Spanish church has its own history museum and is set upon beautiful gardens that are perfect for a sunny stroll.
- TAKE A BEACH DAY: San Luis Obispo is the perfect place to enjoy California beaches. Head to Pismo Beach and laze on the sand, or for something a bit more active, hop into some kayaks and take a guided tour along the stunning Cali coast. When you're done, hit up Splash Cafe for some killer seafood. Avila Beach is another great option for relaxation or, to get on the water, to rent some stand-up paddle boards.
- SMOOCH AT THE DRIVE-IN: The Sunset Drive-In movie theater will make you feel like teenagers in love. Founded in the 1950s, the theater plays mainstream releases in a format that, though once was quintissentially American, is getting harder and harder to find. This place will take you back in time in more ways than one!
- ZOOM THE DUNES: ATV rentals allow you to zoom across the sand dunes in nearby Oceano. It's the only park in the state where this adrenaline-pumping activity is legal, so if you feel the need for speed, be sure to take advantage!
- GET ARTSY: Head downtown and check out the small-yet-mighty San Luis Obispo Museum of Art. Then check out Harmony Glassworks to be mesmerized by the skill of the area's best local glass blowers. You can even take a glassblowing class together, and make yourselves a honeymoon souvenir together!
- DINE THE DAYS AWAY: Charming, friendly, and gosh darn delicious, the dining options in San Luis Obispo and surrounding towns are fantastic. From sweet little cafes to amazing seafood, casual bites to fancy feasts, the area offers an array of honeymoon-perfect dining options to discover.