The Maldives were created for island lovers. Couples who love the barefoot life, who love being together where the only footprints in the sand are their own, who love to relax on magical beaches, who love to do water sports by day and luxuriate in the ultimate creature comforts by night will truly enjoy honeymooning here.
It’s like living an island dream. Your room may be on stilts above the water. You’ll be surrounded by swaying palms and a turquoise sea. Tranquility reigns. It’s never crowded or noisy as this is Asia’s smallest nation. Male, the capital is only 1.24 miles long and less than a mile wide. Divers and snorkelers love it here because of the warm water temperatures, abundant marine life and high visibility. Unspoiled natural beauty abounds in the water as well as on land…
The country is comprised of 1,200 islands floating in the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean, just off the southern tip of India 400 miles from Sri Lanka. Only 200 of the islands are inhabited, and a typical honeymoon will take you to more than one of them. You can make a pristine island “your own” for a day then return to the comfort of your romantic hotel at night to enjoy a spa treatment, linger over a delicious dinner, listen to the waves and stargaze to your heart’s content.
This is the kind of serene honeymoon haven where magical memories are made every day. Come to the Maldives and let some of them be your own!
Activities center around the water. The country is known for excellent sailing, snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing and fishing. In the capital, you can visit the National Museum and stroll through beautiful Sultan Park. Cruises will take you to see other islands.
Here are a few of the most popular things to do:
- GO ISLAND HOPPING: Take a boat ride or a cruise to see other islands. It’s pure pleasure in the Maldives. Your concierge can arrange it.
- SEE THE RICH MARINE LIFE: Coral reefs, exotic tropical fish and other amazing underwater sights can be seen on boat rides or dive excursions.
- SWIM WITH THE SHARKS: This is an exciting way to spend a day! Docile whale sharks populate the area. You don’t have to worry about being attacked.
- TAKE A NIGHTIME FISHING TRIP: This is an experience you won’t forget! Moonlight shimmers on the water. Bright stars glitter in velvet skies. Romance is rampant. You might even catch a fish!
- VENTURE INTO A QUIET VILLAGE: Stroll the sandy streets of a quiet village hand in hand. Visit local craft workshops and watch the day’s catch being unloaded on the dock. You’ll discover the “real” Maldives!
- PAMPER YOURSELVES AT A SPA: Luxuriate with a spa treatment for two. You’ll love it!
- WORK ON YOUR SHORT GAME: Golf is a special treat in this country where land is at a premium. The Par 3 course at the Kuredu Resort offers 6 holes with an average length of 55 yards.
- TRY A LOCAL BEER: It’s non-alcoholic!
- DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY: There is some nightlife in this quiet place! Dance till dawn in your hotel disco or at one of the island bars. Sometimes, you’ll be dancing under the stars.
- SHOP IN THE CAPITAL: You’ll get a good view of daily life. Souvenir shops line the two major streets, Chaandee Magu and Majeedhee Magu. The local fish market is as photogenic as they come.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODE: 960
- LANGUAGE: Dhivehi. English is widely spoken.
- CURRENCY: Rufiyaa
- ELECTRICITY: 230 volts, 50 Hz
- TEMPERATURE: Average year round temperature is 86 degrees F.
- RELIGION: Sunni Islam.
- WHEN TO GO: Peak season is December-April. Off Season is May-November.
- GETTING AROUND: Seaplanes are Maldives’ taxis. The most popular way to get around is by boats called “dhonis” or “vedis.” There is ferry service from the airport island to Male, the capital.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- BRING YOUR FLIP FLOPS: High heels don’t work here. Sand is everywhere. There are few paved walks or streets.
- PACK YOUR SUNSCREEN: The sun is strong and toiletries are epensive here.
- OBSERVE LOCAL CUSTOMS: During the religious festival of Ramadan, eating in public during daylight hours is not acceptable. Visitors can eat at any hour inside resorts.
Save on a summer wedding at Marco Beach Ocean Resort on Florida's Paradise Coast with this 2015 wedding special. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm87°/80°
Chance of a Thunderstorm87°/80°