Arenal with its iconic volcano and lake is the perfect destination for adventure-loving couples, with watersports, hiking and rainforest exploration. It’s also the perfect destination if you’re seeking relaxation: there are hot springs, spas, and little towns full of color where you can kick back and watch the world go by. In fact, your Arenal honeymoon can be the perfect mixture of excitement and relaxation, as you explore this beautiful world together.
The Arenal volcano forms a perfect cone and was active until 2010. You can no longer see the lava flowing down its sides, but you can hike around the mountain, go bird watching and rappel down a waterfall. Lake Arenal, located just below the volcano, is entirely manmade and supplies hydroelectric power to the entire country. Altogether, the volcano, lake and the surrounding rivers and rolling hills provide the perfect setting for an adventure vacation.
The lake is also a popular spot for sport fishing, particularly the healthy rainbow bass. You can enjoy water sports, hike in the tropical forests surrounding the lake, and enjoy sailing trips and romantic sunset cruises. Remember to make time for wellness treatments, at hot springs and spas in the area, to help you relax and get ready for the next adventure.
The nearby town of La Fortuna has plenty of accommodations, catering to different tastes and budgets. There are luxury hotels, eco-lodges, and spa resorts built on the hot springs. Whichever you chose, you’ll have amazing views and tropical natural beauty in every direction.
You can visit Arenal any time of the year and find plenty to do. Even though it’s one of the most popular destinations in Costa Rica, it remains beautiful and unspoiled due to the emphasis on ecotourism. Your Arenal honeymoon will take you to a magical world where you can reconnect with nature and with each other.
At a Glance
- Arenal is one of the most accessible and beautiful destinations in Costa Rica, and a must-see for all visitors to the country.
- A trip to the Arenal Volcano National Park is an unforgettable experience. The 30,000 acres of the park are home to geological marvels and biodiversity, with the perfectly shaped cone of the mountain rising above it all.
- Lake Arenal is the largest lake in Costa Rica, and offers plenty of opportunities for watersports and rainforest exploration in the rolling hills all around.
- When you’re feeling adventurous, you can go white-water rafting on the Sarapiqui River. Try rappelling down a waterfall, ziplining above the forest canopy, or just float down the river in a tube.
- If you want to get closer to the rainforest, take a guided hike or horseback ride. There’s plenty of wildlife in the forests surrounding the lake, including colorful birds, sloths, tapir and even jaguars.
- The small town of La Fortuna de San Carlos is just about five miles from the Arenal volcano and has plenty of amenities, with hotels, spas and restaurants. It’s also a convenient location to visit the cloud forests of Monteverde.
- Nueva Arenal is a small town on the northeastern side of the lake. It was built in 1973 when the old town of Arenal went under the waters of the lake. Experience small town charm and the local nightlife.
- Stay at a romantic casita in the rainforest with a view of the volcano, surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature.
- Lake Arenal is perfect for kayaking, windsurfing and paddle boarding. For a quieter time, take a sunset cruise on the lake and plan your future together.
- Make time for a trip to the hot springs at Tabacon. The natural mineral hot springs are the largest in Costa Rica, and will leave you feeling refreshed and renewed.
- Whatever activities you choose, you’ll have some amazing pictures from your Arenal honeymoon, with a backdrop of the lake, volcano and lush green hills.
- GETTING THERE:The nearest airport is Liberia International Airport. You can get a private transfer or shared shuttle to bring you to Lake Arenal, or rent a car. If renting a car, four wheel drive is helpful in the rainy season.
- GETTING AROUND: You can hire a car and driver, of join in tour groups that offer comprehensive volcano, forest and adventure experiences. A rental car is useful for getting around, but driving in Costa Rica can be challenging.
- WEATHER: You can visit Arenal any time of the year, but the popular season is from December to April. This is the winter season there, but still warm and with less rainfall. August to October is the rainy season.
- WHEN TO GO: Any time of the year is a good time to visit Arenal, but make your reservations early, especially if you want accommodations with a lake or volcano view. Strong winds during the rainy season from August to October create ideal conditions for windsurfing on the lake.