Warm white sands surrounded by turquoise seas, sunny vistas, peaceful days and friendly, smiling people who make you feel like their island home is yours to enjoy: This is the island of Mauritius, a world where the stress of the mainland melts away into newlywed bliss.
Mauritius is a melting pot of cultures old and new, with a population of mainly Hindu, Chinese, Creole and European people all blending together to create a diverse and unique blend of people. This blend brings an incredible range of cuisines to the island, from simple grilled fish to international Muslim, Chinese and Creole specialties.
A honeymoon in Mauritius means delivering yourselves to pure tropical beauty. Clink glasses on a sunset cruise, adventure through the jungle, catch a fish in the turquoise seas, trek across tropical mountains, enjoy the views from a world-class golf course or just snuggle up on the beach.
Of course, couples seeking the bustle of a modern city won’t be disappointed either. The Mauritian capital of Port Louis boasts high-rise buildings and a hip nightlife district where pubs, discos and romantic restaurants galore can be discovered all along the city streets.
The world-class hotels will pamper you with luxurious hospitality while the island wraps you up in a sweet tropical embrace. A Mauritius honeymoon is the full package: Warmth, fun and romance all wrapped into one delightful little island.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Mauritius
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- CLIMATE: Mauritius has two main seasons: a warm summer from November to April and a relatively cool, dry winter from May to October. The warmest months are January and February.
- WHEN TO GO: About May to December has the coolest, driest weather. Avoid January and February if you're a watersports enthusiast. These are the peak cyclone months and while not dangerous, they may upset your water activity.
- LANGUAGE: Though Mauritius is unique in that it has no official language, most Mauritians are fluent in English, and French and Mauritian Creole is also spoken.
- SILLY AS A DODO: Mauritius is the only place in the world that can claim to have had the now-extinct dodo birds once alive and roaming their island.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON (ON THE BEACH): Public nudism and topless sunbathing are frowned upon.
- DRIVING: Mauritians drive on the left side of the road and yield to the right. If you have a valid license from your own country, you are allowed to drive.
- KEEPING THEM HONEST: Taxi drivers can get kickbacks for driving couples to certain restaurants, stores or even hotels. Make a point of repeating where you want to go if they first say it's expensive or has closed down, as they may just be trying to push you to a place that gives them a little something extra for bringing clients their way.
- (FREE) FALL INTO LOVE: Feel like you’re floating on air with a tandem skydive from any of three different heights at Skydive Mauritius. Book in advance, as they quickly fill up!
- BEACH TOWN FUN: Flic en Flac in the Riviere Noire District not only has a gorgeous public beach, but also romantic restaurants, great shopping, fun pubs, and even a casino.
- GET BOTANICAL: Visit the Pamplemousse Botanical Gardens near Port Louis, home to the oldest botanical garden in the southern hemisphere and the former chateau of Pierre Poivre.
- ZOO CRAZY: Visit the Casela Nature & Leisure Park on one of their two seater buggies and observe exotic birds, zebras, lions, cheetahs, and tigers in their natural habitat.
- GLASS BOTTOM BLISS: Enjoy the clearest waters in Mauritius at Blue Bay in a boat with a glass bottom so you can see all the coral and fish as you cruise along.
- MANSION 'MOON: History buff couples who want to learn more about Mauritius’s colonial history will want to visit the preserved mansion, and now museum, Eureka. Follow the trail in the back for 15 minutes and you'll reach the Ravin waterfall, a truly lovely site even for couples who haven't been bitten by the history bug.
- GET DEEP WITH IT: If you love diving and exploring marine life, visit Diver's Ocean to get personalized attention from professionals who will cater your trip under sea to your experience level. Newcomers welcome.
- CRIKEY!: Visit La Vanille Crocodile Park to meet frisky monkeys and giant tortoises and even hold a baby crocodile.