Writer Rupert Brooke claimed that in the South Pacific Seas, “the Creator seems to have laid himself out to show what He can do”. Indeed, upon your arrival at Fiji’s 322 islands, you too will be convinced you have reached Earth’s Eden. One look at the sun drenched beaches, the swaying palm trees, and the rugged cliffs plunging into the cerulean lagoons and the two of you will redefine paradise.
Unleash your adventurous spirit and explore. A honeymoon in Fiji offers it all — from snorkeling and scuba diving across its reef-strewn waters, to windsurfing and white water rafting. Or you can stray from the coast and wander the mountainous terrain of Fiji’s rainforests. Rest assured, your efforts will be well rewarded. You may reach your destination to discover the steaming, secluded natural hot springs that are the result of Fiji’s volcanic craters. For those looking for a more refreshing reward for their exertions, choose a trail where you’ll unearth one of Fiji’s waterfall-filled lagoons.
Don’t feel like packing your hiking boots? We’ll agree it’s hard to tear yourself from the feeling of warm, white sand between your toes. Head for the hammock underneath the palms, where you may find that watching the last rays of a setting sun playing upon the water’s surface is all the entertainment you’ll need. Whether you’re stealing away to your own private beach, or watching the full moon rise from your overwater bungalow, Fiji provides a honeymoon that is quite simply unforgettable.
- TAKE TO THE SKIES: Rough seas be damned! Take to the skies and peer down at the tropical beauty of Fiji soaring overhead in a seaplane. Design a sightseeing tour with Turtle Airways and get the convenience of hourly flights and resort transfers. Call them at +679 6721 888 and take your honeymoon in Fiji to new heights.
- Watch the sea come to life on Fiji's barrier reefs: Almost all of Fiji's hotels and resorts will provide snorkeling equipment with which to explore their local lagoons. You’ll find some of the best diving and snorkeling at the Great Astrolabe Reef, where bright corals and sea life abound. Visit Manta Pass to get up close and personal with Fiji's manta rays.
- White Water Rafting on the Navua River-Viti Levu: Take a ride down the "Grand Canyon of Fiji", the Upper Navua River Gorge with Rivers Fiji. In between the rapids, you’ll stop for dips in some of Fiji's most picturesque waterfalls. For a calmer ride through the lowlands, ask for a bilibili raft, made of bamboo poles lashed together.Phone number for Rivers Fiji: (800) 446-2411
Email: [email protected] (when emailing outside of Fiji)
- Take a sunset sail on the Seahawk v- SavuSavu: Cruise around the South Pacific Seas and toast your new life together as the sun's last rays transform the horizon.Phone number for Seahawk Yacht Charters: (679) 8850-787
Email: [email protected]
- Bouma Falls National Park-Taveuni: Discover Fiji's mountainous terrain with several different waterfall strewn hikes catered to all level of explorers. A flat, 15 minutes' walk leads to an impressive 160 foot cascade. For the more adventurous, a 30 minute climb reveals another hidden waterfall.
Phone: (679) 888-0390
Email: [email protected]
- Zip Line through the Fijian Rainforest Canopy-Pacific Harbour: Swing through the trees and experience the rainforest with a bird's eye view. Safely strapped into your harness, you’ll feel exhilarated as you fly from one canopy platform to another at up to 30 miles per hour.
- Take a helicopter ride over Fiji’s mountains and open waters: Or arrange for a helicopter transfer from the airport to your island hotel for an aerial introduction to Fiji.
Phone for Island Hoppers: (679) 6720-410
Email: [email protected]
Tips and Advice
- WHEN TO VISIT: The best time to visit is during the "dry season," from May to October, which consequently has the highest airfare and accommodation rates. For better deals, avoid the peak months of June through August.Also check out a lunar calendar when choosing the time of your visit. The full moon over the water can be breathtakingly beautiful. The sun's setting rays seem to hit the water just right during the solstice times of September and the end of March.
- AVERAGE TEMPERATURE: 83°F June-September (dry season)
88°F December-March (rainy season)
Evenings are a comfortable 70-82°F year round
- LANGUAGE: Impress the locals with your effort to learn the language. Here are some Fijian basics:Hello | Bula | (boo-lah)
Goodbye | Moce | (mo-thay)
Yes | Io | (ee-oh)
No | Sega | (san-gah)
Thank you | Vinaka | (vee-nah-ka)
Bathroom | Valelailai | (vah-lay-lie-lie)
You're welcome | Siga na lega | (sing-a nah leng-ah)
House/Bungalow | Bure | (boo-ray)
- STAYING CONNECTED: Local Time: When in Fiji, you're a day ahead of the folks back home. The time difference is 17 hours between New York and Fiji; 20 hours between Los Angeles and Fiji.To call Fiji:From the US: 011 + country code 679 + local number
From the UK and Ireland: 00 + country code 679 + local numberTo call home from Fiji:
To the US: 001 + area code and number
To the UK: 0044 + area code and number
Cellphones in Fiji:
Only T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless use a wireless technology compatible with Fiji's. Call to find out if your account can be activated for international roaming. If you wish to stay connected, you can also buy or rent cell phones from Mobal (www.mobal.com).
- CURRENCY: Fiji Dollar, equivalent to approximately US$.52. Withdraw local currency upon arrival at the 24 hour ANZ Bank ATM at the Nadi airport international arrivals terminal. All you will need is a MasterCard or Visa debit or credit card. If you can, ask for some smaller bills, which come in handy for taxis and transportation. Drivers seem to have small change in low supply.American Express, MasterCard and Visa are widely accepted throughout Fiji, but don't count on using either a Diners Club card or Discover. Many businesses in Fiji will add a 3-5% charge on your bill for the use of a credit card, and may dole out a similar discount with the use of cash. Before you pay, ask if there is a charge, or a discount for using cash.At the end of your stay, put your leftover currency toward paying the hotel bill. That will save the time and money of exchanging it at the airport.
- TRANSPORTATION: Fiji's location in the South Pacific makes it a true paradise escape from the world, however, it also means an 11 hour flight from Los Angeles. Consider splurging on a seat with extra legroom, or stay comfortable by getting up and stretching your legs every 60-90 minutes. To help combat jet lag, drink lots of water before, during and after your flight, and reset your watch to your destination time before boarding the plane.Driving is on the left hand side throughout Fiji. Speed limits are 80 kmph on highways and 50kmph in the towns. Seat belts are required and talking on cell phones while driving is illegal. Driving under the influence is a punishable offense, and roadblocks with breathalyzers aren't uncommon. If you're going out, consider a cab.Not all taxis have meters, and many drivers in Nadi are paid on a salary basis, as opposed to per fare, so try settling on a fare to your destination before setting out.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- It's a running joke that the country runs on "Fiji Time", which may move at a slightly slower pace than you are accustomed to. Just sit back and relax; it's your honeymoon!
- Be on the look-out for signs proclaiming "Tourist Information Center" as it is most likely a tourist operator interested in pushing its own services. The official non-profit tourist centers are operated by the Fiji Visitors Bureau, with locations in Nadi and Suva.
- Tipping is generally discouraged in Fiji, and not required except for exceptional service. However, many Fijians have come to realize that Americans are accustomed to tipping.
- Wines and liquor tend to be slightly more expensive on the islands due to import duties. Consider stocking up on your two allotted bottles at the airport's duty-free shops. Fiji does brew its own beer. Choose from the Fiji Bitter beer, or Fiji Gold, a lighter option. Almost as popular as the local beer is yaqona or "grog", a national, slightly narcotic drink usually served in coconut shells. Its active ingredient is now being marketed as a remedy for stress relief and insomnia in the US, so give it a try!
- Fiji's coffee is grown locally, and its flavorful beans will be sure to satisfy your coffee cravings. Those of you who have mastered the Starbucks language will have a new coffee lingo to pick up in Fiji.
- A short black- an espresso
- A long black- two shots of espresso with extra hot water
- A flat white- a latte (espresso and steamed milk)
- A trimmed flat white- a latte with skim milk
- Beware of Fiji's infamous sword sellers who will strike up a friendly conversation, ask your name, and expect you to purchase a wooden sword once they have hastily carved your name on it. The sword salesmen are prevalent in the cities of Nadi and Suva, so don't provide your name if you see them coming.
- Don't Forget:
- Sunscreen and raincoat for the tropical climate
- Reef shoes/sturdy sandals to protect your feet while snorkeling
- Insect repellant (It is often found just in the city pharmacies)
- Reading materials. Bookstores are rare outside of the cities
- An underwater camera to capture the colorful coral scenes playing out under the waves
- If you're prone to seasickness, prepare with either a pill, patch or wristband because you're bound to take a couple of boat rides during your stay in the islands.
BOOK NOW! This flash sale for a Cook Islands getaway includes round trip airfare for a cheap honeymoon package that doesn't skimp on fun, relaxation and pure seclusion in an island paradise. Just $1949 per person until April 30th! MORE
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
WEBSITE We've partnered with WedPics, a free app that gives you a place to get all your wedding photos in one place without digging through social media profiles after the wedding! Organize, download and even order prints right from the app, and don't spend even one minute scouring the web for friend's photos and videos. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm84°/73°
Chance of a Thunderstorm84°/75°