Negril, on Jamaica's West Coast, may be one of the most laid back places on this planet! It is nestled in a breathtaking landscape of pristine beaches, towering cliffs and lush jungle foliage, offering honeymooners who seek relaxed, natural settings a bohemian, yet sophisticated lifestyle with a young look and feel. The look is rustic but all of the comforts of home - and more - are here, and informal fun is guaranteed to run around the clock if you let it.
By day, couples can experience the area's natural beauty and picture-postcard weather. Gallop through the island interior on horseback, ride through the jungle on an ATV, sail through the sky behind a speedboat, play with turtles and colorful fish on a snorkeling trip, duck through caves, splash under waterfalls, tube down rivers, or just lie back on the sand with a cold Red Strip beer and a fine Cuban cigar.
By night, take a mellow sunset cruise or explore romantic dining options on the beach or atop a cliff, both with incredible panoramic views that inspire romance. Or,you can r grab your friends and book a boozy party boat to party hearty and dance and drink all night. This beautiful area, once the island center for flower children, has grown into a sophisticated destination that more than meets world class standards and still maintains a carefree lifestyle that delights all comers. This is the perfect place for young-at-heart couples who want to combine total tranquility with heart-pumping fun and excitement.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Negril
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- GETTING THERE: A shuttle service can take you to Negril from Sangster International Airport in 1-1/2 hours, depending on the traffic and the number of stops. Or, you can book a private airport transfer just for the two of you with a trustworthy tour operator like Paradise Palms or Clive's.
- GETTING AROUND: If you're not renting a car, many couples charter all transport on the island through their hotel. Rates charged are more expensive than street taxis, but these cars are safer and more reliable. Jamaica also has "Route Taxis" in the street that are a fine option, but other passengers will be picked up and dropped off along the way. Route Taxis have red plates which show that the car is an official Jamaican taxi.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- SAFETY: Negril is generally a safe city but keep your belongings and your wits close, especially after dark. Locals will approach to "help" you find or do something, but anyone who approaches should be turned away with a simple "No, thank you." These people just want to find any "service" they can perform for money. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings. Turning these people off right is the best thing to do. It is best to book any tours or services through your hotel.
- NUDITY: Some adults-only hotels have nude beaches, but topless sunbathers are a common sight on public beaches.
- SEVEN MILE BEACH: This is Negril's most famous stretch of sand. Modern development has brought a large number of hotels, restaurants, bars and clubs to the shoreline which is also known as Negril Beach and Long Beach. However, this hasn't stopped sunbathers from around the world from flocking here to enjoy the warm sun, soft sand and perfect aquamarine waters.
- LONG BAY: Another of Negril's most famous beaches, Long Bay is a favorite for its funky scene, white sand and evening dance parties that pump out tunes from nearby nightclubs along the shore.
- NEGRIL CLIFFS: One of the area's most famous features, these seaside cliffs are a fantastic place to stay, swim, grab a bit or watch cliff divers leap from the highest points of a 100 ft. high precipice.
- RICK'S CAFE: This is one of Negril's sights to see. It has been the place to be for locals and visitors since the 1970's and has won international awards for being one of the world's Ten Best Bars, the Best Life Reggae Bar, and one of the best places in the Caribbean to watch the sunset. It is also listed in the popular book "1,000 Places To See Before You Die," so you won't want to miss it. A party atmosphere reigns day into night at the restaurant, which is located atop a cliff. Revelers drink, party, hang out at the pool, and watch divers leap off the cliff into the water all day long. Don't be tempted to enjoy a few cocktails then jump yourselves. It is far more dangerous than it looks, so just watch others. It's not worth the risk of spoiling your honeymoon! After a breathtaking sunset, Rick's gets fancier. You can enjoy fine dining on Cliffside tables with warm mood lighting that makes the whole scene glow like a starry sky. Rick's is a honeymoon day that you'll never forget.