Barbados is tailor made for newlyweds. It serves up a spectacular honeymoon for couples who crave the classic combo of romance and relaxation, but it also offers an unusually wide variety of activities to share. It often surpasses its island neighbors with its white sand beaches, coral reefs and dramatic sunsets. Yet what distinguishes it most is how its rich British colonial heritage and vibrant West Indian cultures have set the stage for a decidedly upscale destination full of history and authentic island flavor.
History buffs will enjoy visiting the well preserved plantation houses as well as the Parliament House in Bridgetown. Couples seeking more active pursuits on their Caribbean honeymoon can golf, hike, snorkel, sail, fish, ride horseback or scuba dive with sea turtles. No matter which you choose, be sure to save some energy for a long, lovely romantic dinner at one of the Zagat-rated restaurants where the cuisine is only matched by the chic décor and breathtaking views.
Divided into 11 “parishes” the island is easy and exciting to explore. A variety of comfortable accommodations offer beautiful settings that range from totally tranquil to surprisingly action packed.
Whether you’re swinging a club at one of the legendary golf courses or swinging your hips to the “Bajan” beat at a Friday night Fish Fry, you’ll find plenty to do together. Or, you can just soak up the sun in the shade of a palm tree on a white sand beach and stroll along the shore to see the stars in each other’s eyes.
You won’t run out of ways to make honeymoon memories that last a lifetime in Barbados!
Barbados is an excellent choice for active couples who want to do more on their Caribbean honeymoon than just lie on the beach. Go on a rum tour one day and meander through historic plantation houses the next. Search for sea turtles hatching on the sand or put on snorkel gear and find them in the sea. Play a round on the golf course where Tiger Woods got married. Dive, sail, windsurf, play tennis, visit a museum, see the sights and much more. It will be time to return home long before you run out of things to do!
- SEE THE SEA TURTLES. Sea turtles love Barbados as much as newlyweds do. You can also book a snorkeling tour to swim with the turtles in Paynes Bay as well as other spots around the island where turtles lay their eggs which hatch 30 days later. If your timing is right, you may see hundreds of baby turtles scrambling toward the sea. These adorable creatures may inspire you to do some nesting of your own!
- PLAY GOLF. The lush, hilly interior provides perfect terrain for world class golf courses. You don’t have to stay at Sandy Lane to play the incredible Tom Fazio courses, one of which, the Green Monkey, is carved out of an old limestone quarry. Also, check out other par 72 courses like Barbados Golf Club designed by Ron Kirby and the Royal Westmoreland designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr.
- TRY A LOCAL DRINK. Mount Gay is one of the world’s best rums. Banks is the local beer. Nonalcoholic Mauby is a tasty local drink made of bark and spices.
- TAKE A RUM TOUR. Rum was invented here in the 17th Century. Get tipsy with your sweetheart over a history lesson at the atmospheric 300 year old Mount Gay Rum distillery in Bridgetown.
- WATCH A GAME OF CRICKET OR POLO. These British sports never fail to be exciting!
- STEAL A KISS IN THE FLOWER FOREST, St. Joseph. It sounds like something out of a fairytale and looks like it too! The 50 acre Flower Forest on a former sugar plantation in the Scotland District is very real. Enjoy breathtaking views as you walk along shady paths or get cozy on the strategically placed benches. You might even spot a green monkey!
- COOL OFF IN A CAVE, St. Thomas. Take a break from the sun at Harrison’s Cave, a top tourist attraction. Hold hands as you ride in a trolley through the dark along this limestone cavern, admiring the stalactites, stalagmites and a 40 ft. waterfall!
- PARTY, PARTY AT A FISH FRY, Christ Church. On Friday nights, the small fishing village of Oistin turns into one big street party and visitors are more than welcome. It’s the perfect place to mingle with the locals, who come for the delicious chicken and fish, cooked and eaten outside. Prepare to dance the night away with your honey as you experience one of the most treasured island traditions.
- HAVE TEA ON THE TERRACE AT ST. NICHOLAS ABBEY. This isn’t a church but a former sugar plantation with a beautiful Jacobean mansion built in 1660. It’s a very romantic place to spend an afternoon, and the Terrace Café is open for lunch.
Tips and Advice
- AIRPORT CODE: BGI
- AREA CODE: 246
- CAPITAL: Bridgetown
- CURRENCY: The Barbados dollar, but U.S. currency is accepted almost everywhere
- DEPARTURE TAX: There is a Departure Tax of approximately 55 Barbadian dollars (about $27.50 US). Check to make sure that your airline ticket includes it.
- ELECTRICITY: 110 volts, 50 cycles, same as USA.
- LANGUAGE: The official language is English but expect to hear “Bajan” dialect too.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- DRIVING: Drive on the left.
- DRESS CODE: The island dress code is slightly formal so you’ll want to dress in pretty resort wear when you dine or go out at night. Jeans, shorts and tee shirts should not be worn to dinner in most places. At the best restaurants, jackets and ties are required, British style. Also, note that it is against the law to wear camouflage or carry camouflage accessories.
- TAKE PLENTY OF SUNBLOCK and wear it throughout the day.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
WEBSITE We've partnered with WedPics, a free app that gives you a place to get all your wedding photos in one place without digging through social media profiles after the wedding! Organize, download and even order prints right from the app, and don't spend even one minute scouring the web for friend's photos and videos. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm84°/79°
Chance of a Thunderstorm86°/79°