Montego Bay Overview
Montego Bay is one of the most popular and colorful resort areas on the island. Its sprawling white sand beaches are a worldwide draw with planes and cruise ships unloading visitors, sunscreen in hand, all year round. Both Jamaica’s major international air gateway and the leading port for cruise ships are conveniently near the downtown area.
Water and land activities, an eclectic variety of nightlife and even a few historic colonial sites are easy to find and enjoy. Most visitors come through Montego Bay, making it well worth exploring before heading off to your final Jamaican honeymoon destination.
Nature loving couples are right at home here with jungles, rivers, beaches, lush green hills and turquoise harbors nearby. Plenty of couples decide to spend their whole honeymoon here when they fall in love with the gorgeous beaches and the fun and funky dining and nightlife scene.
There is an exceptionally wide variety of places to stay. An especially large number of all-inclusive properties (World famous Sandals resorts and Super Clubs were founded here). Check it out for yourselves and find out of Montego Bay is a perfect honeymoon getaway for the two of you.
- DOCTOR'S CAVE BEACH: Golden sand, translucent blue waters and a gentle surf make Doctor's Cave the most popular beach in Montego Bay. Excellent amenities such as beach chair and umbrella rentals, bathrooms, gift shops and even a cyber cafe make it well worth the entry fee of $12 per couple. Stretch out on the warm sand and watch the world go by or get in the mood of the beach party atmosphere. Find this place between the Hip Strip and the Montego Bay Marine Park, and you'll experience the true definition of "A Day at the Beach!" Website: www.doctorscavebathingclub.com Email: [email protected] Phone: 876-952-2566
- CORNWALL BEACH: This is a relatively new two acre wonderland for fun and sun that has become popular with visitors. Available amenities include snorkel gear, chair and umbrella rentals, a restaurant, a gift shopk lockers and live music. Every honeymoon should include at least a few hours here! There is a small entry fee of $300 to $500 Jamaican ($3-$5 USD) to enter. Website: www.cornwallbeachja.com E-mail: [email protected] Phone: 876-979-2566
- ROSE HALL BEACH CLUB: Couples who seek the utmost in privacy and luxury on the beach can spend a day at the private and secluded Rose Hall Beach Club ll miles out of town. Stake out a spot just for the two of you on the half mile long stretch of white sand bordered by crystal clear water and be as lively or as lazy as you like. A restaurant, a bar, hammocks, showers and a watersports program are just part of the attraction. The entry fee is $65 per person but it can be a beach day that you'll never forget. Phone: 876-953- 2650
- GLOUCESTER AVENUE: The heart of Montego Bay is action packed. It is choc-a-block with hotels, restaurants, shops, hair braiders, and just about everything else under the sun.
- OLD FORT CRAFT PARK: If you're not shoppers but still want to pick up small gifts for the folks back home, this is the place to come! Straw items, sculptures, wood carvings and other souvenirs can be found at the myriad of stands. Bargaining is part of the scene, but vendors are licensed by the Jamaican Tourist Board.
Tips and Advice
- GETTING THERE: Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay is one of the leading entry points to the island. This airport can be congested, so it's a good idea to arrive extra early for departing flights and keep your eye on your luggage at all times! Montego Bay is a great place to spend a few days before taking off to other Jamaican destinations. Getting fro the airport to your hotel can be a breeze if you make arrangements for an airport pickup in advance.
- AIRPORT CODE: MBJ is the code for Sangster International Airport.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- KEEPING IT REAL: The "Hip Strip" of Montego Bay is a ton of fun, but, as in any foreign city, keep your wits about you, especially after a cocktail or two!!!! The Strip is THE place to be after dark, but the same safety tips apply as in almost any "big city" nightlife area around the world: Aggressive street vendors, drunk drivers and petty criminals are always something to be aware of.
- TRY THE LOCAL STREET FOOD! Snacks from stands along the Hip Strip can be delicious! Authentic jerk pork or grilled spareribs with hot sauce are inexpensive treats.
- MONEY MATTERS: Exchange rates will be more favorable at the airport, banks or your hotel rather than in shops or restaurants or on the street.
- INSIDERS' TIPS: Many restaurant bills include service charges of 10-15%. It is not necessary to leave more unless the service has been spectacular!
- MONEY SAVING DRINKS: Imported drinks such as Vodka and Scotch can be expensive. Save money for more fun by enjoying a cool Rum Punch or a local beer instead.
Save on a summer wedding at Marco Beach Ocean Resort on Florida's Paradise Coast with this 2015 wedding special. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm92°/80°