Smallest but most popular of the ABC trio of Dutch Islands, Aruba is ringed with powdery white beaches, blessed with great year round weather, gentle tropical breezes and non-stop adventures to share. You can find everything from an ostrich farm to a great place to windsurf. Distinctive Divi Divi trees whose flattened branches go in the wind’s direction are trademarks of this island where you’ll feel at home right away and find more to do than you can fit in to one visit.
- Take a trip to the deep together in the Atlantis Submarine. It takes 48 passengers 95-150 ft. below the sea. There are more than enough portholes for everyone to get a close up glimpse of colorful marine life. Reservations must be made a day in advance: 011 297 583-6090
- Rent a kayak from Aruba Kayak Adventure for a memorable half a day that starts with a lesson and then leaves you alone together to paddle along to discover mangroves and caves. You can stop for lunch at De Palm Island where you can borrow snorkel gear to watch tropical fish. (297) 587 7722.
- Enjoy a sunset happy hour with live music in the background at MooMBA on Palm Beach.
- Try your newlywed luck at one of the lively casinos.
Tips and Advice
- GETTING THERE: Major flights arrive at Queen Beatrix International Airport, with non-stop and one-stop flights from cities all over the world. Expect a four-hour flight from NYC and just 2.5 hours from Miami.
- GETTING AROUND: Taxis are easy to find (Look for TX on the license plate) but set the fare before entering.
- CLIMATE: Average year round temperature is 82 degrees F.
- AREA CODE: 297
- A BIG BONUS: Upon departure, American citizens clear customs in Aruba, which means there are no more customs or immigration formalities when you land.
- BOOK IN ADVANCE: Aruba is a very popular island for honeymooners. Book your room at least 6 months in advance.
- HUNT FOR SPECIALS: Some local businesses give honeymooners special discounts. Look for the "One Cool Honeymoon" program.
- LANGUAGE: The local language is a melodic mix of Dutch, Spanish and English called Papiamento but everyone speaks English.
- CURRENCY: The official currency is the Aruban Florin, which is tied to the US dollar, so US currency is accepted everywhere, but change might be given in Florins.
- TIPPING: If a Service Charge is not included, a 10% tip is customary.
Chance of Rain52°/46°
Chance of Rain70°/45°