A Dutch island nestled in the southern reaches of the bright blue Caribbean, Aruba is ringed with powdery white beaches, blessed with great year round weather, kissed by gentle tropical breezes, and filled with non-stop adventures. You can find everything from an ostrich farm to a snorkeling spot to a great place to windsurf, all in the same day. Distinctive Divi Divi trees pepper the island, their flattened branches sweeping toward the direction of the wind giving Aruba's peaceful, beachy landscapes their own trademark look.
Ride across the beach on horseback, soak and flirt in the privacy of rocks in an enchanting natural pool, or for a physical challenge with an amazing reward, climb the 600-plus steps to the top of Hooiberg, the highest point on Aruba, for tremendously stunning panoramic island views. Whether you're sipping drinks at a beachside bar or ripping through the dunes on an ATV, every hour is "happy" on this dream-like slice of paradise.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Aruba
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- GETTING THERE: Major flights arrive at Queen Beatrix International Airport, with non-stop and one-stop flights from cities all over the world. Expect a four-hour flight from NYC and just 2.5 hours from Miami.
- GETTING AROUND: Taxis are easy to find (Look for TX on the license plate) but set the fare before entering.
- CLIMATE: Average year round temperature is 82°.
- A BIG BONUS: Upon departure, American citizens clear customs in Aruba, which means there are no more customs or immigration formalities when you land.
- LANGUAGE: The local language is a melodic mix of Dutch, Spanish and English called Papiamento but everyone speaks English.
- CURRENCY: The official currency is the Aruban Florin, which is tied to the US dollar, so US currency is accepted everywhere, but change might be given in Florins.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- TIPPING: If a Service Charge is not included, a 10% tip is customary.
- BOOK IN ADVANCE: Aruba is a very popular island for honeymooners. Book your room at least 6 months in advance.
- HUNT FOR SPECIALS: Some local businesses give honeymooners special discounts. Look for the "One Cool Honeymoon" program.
- TAKE THE DIVE: Take a trip to the deep together in the Atlantis Submarine. It takes 48 passengers 95-150 ft. below the sea. There are more than enough portholes for everyone to get a close up glimpse of colorful marine life. Reservations must be made a day in advance.
- PADDLE AWAY: Rent a kayak from Aruba Kayak Adventure for a memorable half a day that starts with a lesson and then leaves you alone together to paddle along to discover mangroves and caves. You can stop for lunch at De Palm Island where you can borrow snorkel gear to watch tropical fish. (297) 587 7722.
- GET HAPPY: Enjoy a sunset happy hour with live music in the background at MooMBA on Palm Beach.
- TAKE A CHANCE: Try your newlywed luck at one of the island's lively casinos.