Home to historic mansions, beautiful gardens, scenic beaches and unforgettable attractions, Mississippi is a beautiful state to discover on your honeymoon or just a romantic weekend getaway. Head to the country where you can unwind in acres of wilderness or hit up the city to explore museums, restaurants and music. With luxurious resorts and spas, historic mansions and sun-drenched beaches, Mississippi provides newlyweds a romantic experience that makes one extraordinary honeymoon.
For nature lovers, Mississippi is a little slice of heaven on earth. The temperate climate, plentiful waterways, rich wildlife and stunning natural beauty make the state the perfect place to appreciate the great outdoors year round. Grad your paddles and float down scenic streams, tour a working farm or fish the Gulf Coast – there is no limit to the exploring the outdoors in Mississippi.
Sing praise for Mississippi - there is most definitely something magical about Mississippi. Known as the “Birthplace of America’s Music,” Mississippi has shaped the course of modern music with contributions to blues, jazz, rock, country and gospel. The writers in Mississippi helped define 20th century literature, and even today, the people of Mississippi continue to have a meaningful impact on the performing arts. Whether a die-hard blues fan or a casual concert-goer in search of entertainment, you'll discover a whole new world of music in Mississippi.
No matter where you travel in Mississippi, you will be able to find accommodations that suit your taste and budget. Hoping to spend the day on the water? Look into a lakefront property or Gulf Coast hotel. Want to hit the links in the afternoon? Book a golf and hotel package, and partake in all the amenities. Need some rest and relaxation, check into some world-class accommodations to help you rejuvenate your mind, body and soul at a luxurious spa. Want a more rustic vibe? Mississippi has its fair share of cabins and lodges amidst some of the region’s most breathtaking natural backdrops. Our recommendation – make sure to stay at a bed and breakfast. Grab some sweet tea and indulge your senses while you take in the state from the porch swing. No matter the choice, all are waiting to welcome you with open arms on your honeymoon.
From catfish to tamales to traditional Southern sweets, Mississippi's culinary heritage has food to please every palate. Mississippi restaurants have a reputation for down-home Southern cooking, fine dining and everything in between. Home to award-winning chefs and national food writers, as well as some of the best home cooks and out-of-the way diners to be found anywhere, Mississippi is a must-visit for foodies. The state believes they share their story through treasured recipes, family-owned restaurants and farm-to-table cuisine. Whether you are craving authentic hot tamales, some true Southern cuisine, or even want to sample Mississippi’s craft beers, your tummy will leave full and happy.
Whether dipping your toes in the Gulf of Mexico or tapping them to the beat of blues music, following the Freedom Trail or discovering the home of the King of Rock n’ Roll, Mississippi will feed your mind, body and soul with all it has to offer. Whether you’re looking to getaway for a week or a weekend, Mississippi is the perfect place for you.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Mississippi
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- CAPITAL: Jackson
- NICKNAME: Magnolia State
- AIRPORTS: Jackson (JAN), Gulfport-Bilogi (GPT)
- AREA CODE: There are four are codes used throughout Mississippi – 228 (Gulf Coast region), 662 (Northern Mississippi), and 601 or 769 (Jackson and Southern Mississippi)
- TIME ZONE: Central Time Zone
- GETTING AROUND: The easiest way to get around the state is by car. With four major interstate highways, Mississippi is a very drivable state.
- CELL PHONES: Cell phone coverage is good throughout most of the state, especially in tourist hotspots.
- BEST TIME TO VISIT: Peak season is May to September. Although the summer can be warm, it is a great time to enjoy festivals, concerts and the outdoors. Average temperatures are low 80’s.
- BLUE SUEDE SHOES: Put on your blue suede shoes and check out Elvis Presley’s birthplace. The house is part of the Elvis Presley Park, which includes a statue, church and museum.
- FOLLOW THE TRAIL: One of the most significant experiences in the state is the Freedom Trail. Markers throughout the state highlight people and places that played pivotal roles in the Civil Rights Movement.
- ART BUFFS: The Walter Anderson Museum of Art is dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the works of Walter, an American master whose depictions of plants, animals and people of the Gulf Coast have placed him among the notable of American painters.
- HEAD BACK IN TIME: With over 1,300 monuments and markers, reconstructed trenches and a cemetery, the Vicksburg National Military Park is a must-see for history lovers.
- BIRTHPLACE OF MUSIC: If you or your honey are music fanatics, you will love Mississippi. Make sure to add the Grammy Museum to your checklist. This interactive experience explore the past, present and future of music while celebrating the creativity and technology of the recording process.