Maryland, with its diverse offerings, provides a delightful honeymoon destination. Explore the romantic waterfront of historic Annapolis, where cobblestone streets lead to cozy cafes. Stroll hand in hand through the enchanting gardens of Brookside Gardens or along the sandy shores of Ocean City. Indulge in the vibrant culture of Baltimore, home to world-class museums and charming neighborhoods. Delight in Chesapeake Bay’s seafood, savoring crab feasts and enjoying sunset cruises. Whether it’s exploring the rich history of the state or relaxing on its picturesque coast, Maryland invites newlyweds to create cherished memories in a blend of urban charm and natural beauty.
The 13 Best Honeymoon Resorts in Maryland
Sagamore Pendry Baltimore
Nestled on Recreation Pier in the heart of Fell’s Point, Sagamore Pendry Baltimore is more than a hotel; it’s a symbol of the city’s rich past reimagined for the future. This luxurious retreat, meticulously renovated by Patrick Sutton Design, seamlessly blends the charm of Baltimore’s history with modern elegance. Vibrant…
Inn at Henderson’s Wharf
Discover an enchanting escape at the Inn at Henderson’s Wharf, Maryland, a historic boutique hotel nestled in the heart of Baltimore’s Fells Point neighborhood. Immerse yourself in the timeless charm of this secluded cobblestone street, where history meets romance. Intimate and Secluded: The Inn at Henderson’s Wharf beckons honeymooners with…
Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City Oceanfront
Nestled along the pristine 15th Street, the Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City Oceanfront, Maryland beckons honeymooners to experience the perfect coastal getaway. Immerse yourself in the beauty of Ocean City’s famed 3-mile Boardwalk, where each step brings you closer to breathtaking sunsets, sun-drenched afternoons, and an array of exciting nightlife…
Historic Inns of Annapolis
Step into a world where history meets modern luxury at the Historic Inns of Annapolis, a haven of Victorian character and contemporary amenities. Nestled within walking distance of the Chesapeake Bay & Beaches attractions, this iconic establishment is not just a hotel; it’s a celebration of 250 years of history…
Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland
Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland stands as a colossal gaming destination, boasting the distinction of being one of the largest casinos in the country. With a staggering 4,000 slot machines and an impressive array of 200 live-action table games, this gaming haven promises non-stop excitement and the potential for big…
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Nestled in the scenic beauty of Maryland, Rocky Gap Casino Resort emerges as a luxurious AAA 4 Diamond retreat, promising honeymooners an enchanting escape. This resort seamlessly combines the thrill of casino entertainment with the tranquility of nature, creating a haven for couples seeking a romantic getaway. Gaming Excitement: For…
Step into a world of timeless elegance and historical charm at the Tidewater Inn, a sanctuary for honeymooners nestled in the heart of downtown Easton. Boasting a newly restored lobby and premier guest rooms, this inn is a testament to luxury, with roots dating back to 1712. The Tidewater Inn…
For honeymooners seeking a quiet and comfortable retreat in the heart of Ocean City, the Grand Hotel & Spa emerges as the perfect choice. Nestled in a serene environment, this hotel offers a haven for relaxation alongside a host of amenities crafted to elevate your stay. Proximity to Ocean City’s…
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Nestled along the serene Choptank River, the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina beckons honeymooners to experience the epitome of pampering luxury. A premier AAA Four Diamond resort, this enchanting retreat spans over 342 acres, offering a picturesque landscape for a romantic escape. Recreation in Paradise: At…
Turf Valley Resort
Nestled in the heart of Ellicott City, Maryland, Turf Valley Resort sprawls across 1,000 acres of picturesque landscapes, creating an idyllic haven for romantic getaways. As you enter this oasis of tranquility, the beauty of the surroundings instantly captivates you, setting the stage for a memorable honeymoon experience. Championship Golf…
The Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
For honeymooners seeking the epitome of luxury in the heart of Baltimore, The Royal Sonesta Harbor Court stands as a beacon of indulgence. With 203 spacious guest rooms and suites, each tastefully appointed with world-class amenities, this hotel is a sanctuary of comfort and elegance. Thoughtful Touches: Every corner of…
Nestled in the heart of North Ocean City, the Fenwick Inn has undergone a breathtaking transformation, emerging as a coastal haven for honeymooners seeking a perfect blend of comfort and convenience. The entire hotel, from the lobby to the rooftop, has been thoughtfully renovated, creating an ambiance of renewed elegance…
Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City/Bayfront-Convention Center
Nestled on the serene Bayfront at 43rd Street, the Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City, MD Convention Center is a tranquil oasis that invites honeymooners to leave their worries behind. With a perfect blend of modern comfort and scenic beauty, this hotel offers an unforgettable retreat for couples seeking a…
Average Cost of a One Week Maryland Honeymoon
Estimating the average cost of a one-week honeymoon in Maryland involves considering various factors such as airfare, accommodations, and daily expenses. Keep in mind that these are general estimates, and costs can vary based on personal preferences and travel dates:
Depending on your departure location, round-trip flights to Maryland can vary widely. On average, the budget is approximately $300 to $800 per person for airfare. Booking in advance and being flexible with travel dates can help find more affordable fares.
Maryland offers a range of accommodation options, from boutique hotels to bed and breakfasts. On average, budget around $150 to $300 per night for lodging. The total cost for a week would be approximately $1,050 to $2,100.
Daily expenses can include meals, transportation, activities, and miscellaneous costs. Budget around $50 to $100 per person per day for meals, local transportation, and entertainment. For a week, this amounts to approximately $350 to $700 per person.
Average Total Cost
- Airfare: $300 – $800 per person
- Accommodations: $1,050 – $2,100 for a week
- Daily Expenses: $350 – $700 per person
Grand Total (Per Couple):
- Low End: $1,700 – $2,750
- Mid Range: $2,200 – $3,600
- High End: $2,700 – $4,500
These estimates provide a general guideline, and the actual costs may vary based on factors like travel dates, specific activities chosen, and the level of luxury for accommodations. It’s advisable to plan and book well in advance to secure the best deals, especially if your honeymoon coincides with peak travel seasons in Maryland. Additionally, consider any seasonal events or festivals that may impact prices.
Best Time to Visit Maryland
The best time to visit Maryland for your honeymoon depends on your preferences and the type of activities you enjoy. Maryland experiences distinct seasons, each offering unique attractions. Here’s a breakdown:
- Spring (March to May):
- Why: Mild temperatures, blooming flowers, and festivals make spring an attractive time to visit. Enjoy scenic gardens, outdoor activities, and waterfront strolls.
- Summer (June to August):
- Why: Warm weather provides ideal conditions for outdoor activities, beach visits, and exploring waterfront cities like Annapolis. Summer also offers various festivals and events.
- Fall (September to November):
- Why: Crisp fall foliage, harvest festivals, and pleasant temperatures make autumn a popular time. Explore charming towns, attend fall events, and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Winter (December to February):
- Why: Winter is a quieter season with fewer crowds. If you enjoy holiday festivities, visit in December. Explore museums, cozy up in historic inns, or take advantage of winter activities.
- Chesapeake Bay: If you plan to explore the Chesapeake Bay and coastal areas, late spring to early fall offers the best weather for beach activities and water sports.
- Historic Sites: Maryland’s historic sites, like Annapolis and Baltimore, can be enjoyed year-round. Spring and fall may be particularly pleasant for walking tours.
- Outdoor Activities: If you’re interested in hiking, biking, and outdoor adventures, late spring through early fall is optimal. Fall foliage is especially beautiful in the western parts of the state.
- Festivals and Events: Check the local calendar for events and festivals that might align with your interests. Maryland hosts various events throughout the year.
Ultimately, the best time depends on your preferences and the activities you have in mind. Whether you prefer the vibrant colors of fall, the warmth of summer, or the charm of spring, Maryland offers a diverse range of experiences for honeymooners. Be sure to check for any specific events or seasonal attractions that may enhance your honeymoon experience.
About Honeymooning in Maryland
Honeymooning in Maryland offers a rich blend of culture, diverse cuisine, and a mix of urban and natural attractions. Here’s what you should know about honeymooning in Maryland:
- Historical Significance: Maryland is steeped in history, with cities like Annapolis and Baltimore featuring historic districts, museums, and landmarks. Explore sites like the U.S. Naval Academy or Fort McHenry.
- Waterfront Lifestyle: Maryland’s proximity to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean influences a relaxed waterfront lifestyle. Enjoy romantic strolls along the harbors and scenic coastal areas.
- Arts and Entertainment: Baltimore is known for its arts and entertainment scene, featuring theaters, galleries, and live music venues. Check local schedules for performances and cultural events during your visit.
- U.S. Dollar (USD): Maryland, like the rest of the United States, uses the U.S. Dollar as its official currency. Credit cards are widely accepted, and ATMs are readily available.
- Blue Crab Delicacies: Maryland is famous for its blue crabs. Indulge in Maryland crab cakes, soft-shell crab sandwiches, and steamed blue crabs seasoned with Old Bay spice.
- Seafood Variety: Beyond crabs, Maryland offers a variety of seafood, including oysters, rockfish, and clams. Explore waterfront restaurants for fresh catches and scenic views.
- Southern Influences: Maryland cuisine is influenced by Southern flavors. Savor dishes like Maryland fried chicken, cornbread, and sweet tea.
- Old Bay Seasoning: Old Bay, a distinctive local spice blend, is a hallmark of Maryland cuisine. It’s used to season seafood, fries, and other local dishes.
- Craft Beer and Wine: Maryland has a growing craft beer scene, and the state’s wineries offer diverse selections. Take a tour of local breweries or explore wine trails in regions like the Chesapeake Wine Trail.
- Ethnic Diversity: Maryland’s cities, especially Baltimore, boast a diverse culinary scene with influences from various cultures. Enjoy international cuisines in the city’s neighborhoods.
- Historic Sites: Explore the rich history of Maryland by visiting colonial sites, museums, and landmarks. Annapolis, the state capital, is particularly known for its historic charm.
- Water Activities: Whether it’s sailing on the Chesapeake Bay or relaxing on the beaches of Ocean City, take advantage of Maryland’s water-centric activities for a romantic experience.
- Local Festivals: Check for local festivals and events happening during your visit. Maryland hosts events ranging from seafood festivals to cultural celebrations.
- Nature and Parks: Maryland offers scenic parks and natural attractions. Consider hiking in the state parks or exploring the Appalachian Trail for a romantic outdoor experience.
Honeymooning in Maryland allows you to experience a blend of history, coastal beauty, and diverse culinary delights. Embrace the local culture, enjoy waterfront activities, and savor the unique flavors that make Maryland a distinctive honeymoon destination.
Best Activities for a Maryland Honeymoon
Maryland offers a diverse range of activities for a romantic and memorable honeymoon. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor adventures, or culinary delights, Maryland has something to offer. Here are some of the best activities for a honeymoon in Maryland:
- Explore Annapolis:
- Wander through the historic streets of Annapolis, the state capital. Visit the U.S. Naval Academy, stroll along the waterfront, and enjoy a romantic dinner at one of the charming restaurants.
- Chesapeake Bay Cruise:
- Embark on a scenic cruise on the Chesapeake Bay. Choose a romantic sunset cruise to enjoy breathtaking views of the bay and its picturesque surroundings.
- Visit Baltimore’s Inner Harbor:
- Explore Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, home to the National Aquarium, historic ships, and waterfront attractions. Take a romantic boat tour or enjoy a waterfront meal.
- Assateague Island:
- Experience the unique beauty of Assateague Island, known for its wild horses. Enjoy a day at the beach, go hiking, and witness the sunset over the bay.
- Hiking in Patapsco Valley State Park:
- If you enjoy outdoor activities, hike the trails of Patapsco Valley State Park. The park offers scenic views, waterfalls, and a peaceful escape into nature.
- Wine Tasting in Maryland Wine Country:
- Explore Maryland’s wine country, particularly along the Chesapeake Wine Trail. Enjoy wine tastings at local vineyards and savor the scenic countryside.
- Romantic Dinners in Little Italy (Baltimore):
- Discover the charm of Little Italy in Baltimore. Enjoy a romantic dinner at one of the authentic Italian restaurants, offering a cozy and intimate atmosphere.
- Scenic Drives on the Eastern Shore:
- Take a scenic drive along the Eastern Shore. Explore charming towns like St. Michaels, known for its maritime history and waterfront beauty.
- Visit Historic St. Mary’s City:
- Immerse yourselves in history at St. Mary’s City, a living history museum. Walk through colonial-era buildings and learn about Maryland’s early days.
- Relax at Spa Resorts:
- Unwind and pamper yourselves at one of Maryland’s spa resorts. Enjoy couples’ massages, spa treatments, and a tranquil retreat.
- Attend a Local Festival or Event:
- Check for local festivals or events happening during your visit. Maryland hosts events ranging from seafood festivals to cultural celebrations.
- Kayaking on the Patuxent River:
- For a romantic water adventure, consider kayaking on the scenic Patuxent River. Enjoy the tranquility of the river and the surrounding nature.
- Bike the C&O Canal Towpath:
- If you both enjoy biking, explore the C&O Canal Towpath. This historic trail follows the canal and offers a peaceful journey through nature.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride:
- Take to the skies with a hot air balloon ride. Experience breathtaking views of Maryland’s landscapes, making for a truly romantic excursion.
- Savor Maryland Seafood:
- Indulge in Maryland’s famous seafood. Try crab cakes, steamed crabs, and other local seafood dishes at waterfront restaurants.
Whether you prefer cultural experiences, outdoor adventures, or simply relaxing by the water, Maryland provides a diverse array of activities to make your honeymoon special. Tailor your itinerary to match your interests and create lasting memories in this charming state.
Weather in Maryland
Maryland experiences a varied climate with four distinct seasons. The climate is influenced by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. Here’s a general overview of the weather in Maryland:
- Temperature: Spring temperatures range from around 40°F to 70°F (4°C to 21°C).
- Weather: Spring brings blooming flowers and milder temperatures. It’s a pleasant time for outdoor activities and exploring.
- Temperature: Summer temperatures typically range from 70°F to 90°F (21°C to 32°C), with occasional hotter days.
- Weather: Maryland summers are warm and humid. It’s a popular time for beach vacations, outdoor festivals, and water activities.
- Temperature: Fall temperatures range from around 50°F to 70°F (10°C to 21°C).
- Weather: Fall is characterized by crisp air and colorful foliage. It’s an excellent time for scenic drives, hiking, and enjoying fall festivals.
- Temperature: Winter temperatures range from around 30°F to 45°F (minus 1°C to 7°C).
- Weather: Winters in Maryland can vary, with occasional snowfall in some regions. It’s a quieter time for tourism, but indoor activities, holiday festivities, and winter sports are popular.
As weather conditions can vary, especially in the mountainous areas of western Maryland and the coastal regions, it’s advisable to check local forecasts closer to your travel dates for more accurate and detailed information.
Is Maryland Safe for a Honeymoon?
Maryland, like any destination, has areas with varying safety levels, but, in general, it is considered a safe state for tourism, including honeymoons. It’s important to keep in mind a few safety tips to ensure a secure and enjoyable experience:
- Urban Areas:
- Cities like Baltimore have neighborhoods with different safety profiles. Research and choose well-regarded areas for accommodation and activities. Stick to well-traveled and well-lit areas, especially at night.
- Natural Areas:
- When exploring natural areas, parks, or hiking trails, follow safety guidelines. Inform someone of your plans, carry essentials, and be aware of wildlife, especially in more remote locations.
- Use reputable transportation services and secure parking when necessary. If using public transportation, be aware of schedules and routes, especially in urban areas.
- Stay aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded or tourist-heavy areas. Keep valuables secure and be cautious in unfamiliar places.
- Emergency Contacts:
- Familiarize yourself with emergency contact information, including local law enforcement, medical facilities, and the contact information of your accommodation.
- COVID-19 Precautions:
- Be aware of any COVID-19 related guidelines or restrictions. Stay informed about the latest updates from health authorities and adhere to local regulations.
- Weather Preparedness:
- Depending on the season, be prepared for weather-related challenges. Check weather forecasts and be ready for any adverse conditions.
- Health and Safety Guidelines:
- Follow health and safety guidelines, especially if participating in activities that may have specific safety measures, such as water sports or outdoor adventures.
By taking common-sense precautions and staying informed, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable honeymoon experience in Maryland. Like any travel destination, it’s always a good idea to stay aware, plan ahead, and prioritize your safety and well-being.
Most Romantic Spots in Maryland
Maryland offers a variety of romantic locations for a memorable honeymoon, ranging from historic cities to scenic coastal areas. Here are some of the most romantic locations in Maryland:
- Explore the historic charm of Maryland’s capital, Annapolis. Stroll along brick-lined streets, visit the U.S. Naval Academy, and enjoy a romantic dinner at a waterfront restaurant.
- St. Michaels:
- This charming town on the Eastern Shore exudes romance. Enjoy a boat ride, explore historic sites, and indulge in a romantic stay at one of the town’s inns or bed and breakfasts.
- Chesapeake Bay Beaches:
- Relax on the sandy shores of Chesapeake Bay beaches. Destinations like Sandy Point State Park offer tranquil settings for a romantic beach day.
- Baltimore’s Inner Harbor:
- Baltimore’s Inner Harbor combines waterfront views with cultural attractions. Take a romantic stroll, visit the National Aquarium, and dine at one of the harborfront restaurants.
- Great Falls Park:
- Located on the Potomac River, Great Falls Park offers breathtaking views of cascading waterfalls. It’s a serene and romantic setting for nature-loving couples.
- Deep Creek Lake:
- Experience the romance of Maryland’s largest freshwater lake. Enjoy water activities, take a scenic boat ride, and cozy up in a cabin with lake views.
- Sotterley Plantation:
- For history-loving couples, Sotterley Plantation in Southern Maryland provides a historic backdrop with its 18th-century mansion and picturesque gardens.
- Lewes, Delaware (nearby destination):
- Just a short drive from Maryland, Lewes in Delaware offers a charming and romantic escape. Explore the historic district, stroll along the beach, and enjoy local cuisine.
- Assateague Island:
- Witness the wild beauty of Assateague Island, known for its wild horses. Enjoy a romantic beach day and catch a sunset over the bay.
- Talbot County Wine Trail:
- Indulge in the romance of Maryland’s wine country. Explore the Talbot County Wine Trail, featuring picturesque vineyards and wineries.
- The Inn at Perry Cabin (St. Michaels):
- Experience luxury and romance at The Inn at Perry Cabin. This waterfront inn in St. Michaels offers elegant accommodations and scenic views.
- Rocky Gap State Park:
- Nestled in the mountains, Rocky Gap State Park provides a tranquil setting for a romantic escape. Enjoy outdoor activities and unwind at the lakeside resort.
- Quiet Waters Park (Annapolis):
- A beautiful park in Annapolis, Quiet Waters Park features gardens, sculptures, and walking trails—a peaceful and romantic setting for couples.
- Cove Point Lighthouse:
- Stay in a charming lighthouse keeper’s cottage at Cove Point Lighthouse. Enjoy panoramic views of the Chesapeake Bay and a romantic coastal atmosphere.
These romantic locations offer a blend of history, natural beauty, and waterfront charm, providing the perfect backdrop for a romantic and memorable honeymoon in Maryland.