Stunning coasts. Charming towns. Rolling hillsides so romantic they provided inspiration to great master painters like Gaugin and van Gogh. This is the South of France, and it's one of the most romantic regions in the world to have an idyllic honeymoon.
Bask in the warm sun and pleasant Mediterranean climate while you take to the beaches of Cote d'Azur, amble through a rolling vineyard set above a quiet medieval village, or galavant through lavender fields in Provence breathing in the pungeant scent of one of the world's most celebrated therapeutic plants. From wine country to the Riviera, from casual bistros to five-star restaurants, the South of France is everything romantic getaways are made of.
Kick back and relax or hit up the beach for some watersports, the mountains for a hilly hike, a rocky ledge for some adrenaline-pumping parasailing, or a cobblestoned town for some bike riding. Active couples will have just as much to do here as those who want to quietly soak up the romance and let time stand still as the clouds pass through the blue skies above.
The Best Parts of the South of France
- RIVIERA RELAXATION: The South of France's Mediterranean coast, also known as the French Riviera, is the perfect place to kick back at posh beach resorts for some Riviera relaxation.
- MULTI-MOON TO THE ALPS: If snowy sports are your jam, head over during winter to see a different side of the South of France -- and take a few days inland to ski the French Alps while you're there. Deluxe mountain resorts and high-end lodges give you easy access to the slopes with a big dash of Euro mountain luxury.
- MEDIEVAL CLIFFSIDE VILLAGES: In medieval France, villages were built into craggy cliffsides and fortified with walls and guard towers to protect them from invaders and marauders, and you can visit ones that are abandoned or still populated by a small group of people to this very day. Pretend you're a princess and her prince as you explore the narrow streets peppered with art galleries, stay at centuries-old B & B's, and stumble upon aromatic gardens, just to name a few of the romantic treasures that await you.
- DIVINE BEACHES & BAYS: The Baie des Anges, or Bay of Angels, is an idyllic crescent bay in the Mediterranean with exquisite beaches and amazing hotels...and it's only one of many world-class beach areas in the South of France.
- MAKE FOR THE MARKETS: France is known for its colorful street markets, and the South of France is no exception. Wander amidst the pungeant flowers, pastries, and olive oils for a multi-sensory feast. Buy a bouquet for your new bride or groom, and enjoy some fresh-baked French bread. Just a warning...once you've tried real French bread, it might ruin the "French bread" availabile in American supermarkets for you forever.
- EXPLORE THE CALANQUES: These clear blue-water inlets are flanked by cluffs were formed millions of years ago, and are truly a sight to behold. Hiking, swimming, and boating through them is a great way to spend a day on your South of France honeymoon.