Puerto Rico Destinations
Puerto Rico Overview
Known as the “Isle of Enchantment,” Puerto Rico is the perfect honeymoon destination. Culturally diverse, easy to get to, with near perfect year-round weather, Puerto Rico offers extensive outdoor attractions, wonderful shopping, superb beaches and excellent accommodations.
Only 100 miles long and 35 miles wide, this small island is comprised of several distinct regions each one unique in its history and culture. In Porta de Sol deep sea fishing, golf, horseback riding as well as a variety of water sports awaits the adventuresome. Off to the east, newlyweds can experience some of the most luxurious resorts as well as boutique shopping. In the picturesque Central Region, you can explore places like the Carite National Forest where the island’s abundant natural wonders will make you feel as if you are in a tropical paradise.
The center of tourism and culture is the vibrant and bustling city of San Juan. Honeymooners are drawn to this capital city by the miles of exquisite beaches, great upscale resorts, as well as the romance and charm of Old San Juan. Shopping here is among the best in the Caribbean where everything from folk art to designer apparel can be purchased. Premier gaming establishments in San Juan also offers high-stakes gambling as well as exhilarating entertainment.
- Old San Juan: Here, you’ll step back in time to a place filled with narrow cobblestone streets and building dating back centuries to when Puerto Rico belonged to Spain.
- Nestled on a small island on the north coast of Puerto Rico, Old San Juan is dotted with plazas and churches along with museums, outdoor cafes and restaurants, art galleries and boutiques. An easy way to get a feel for Old San Juan is to board the free trolley. For the more adventuresome, take a guided Segway tour! www.segwaytourspr.com/.
- Centro de Bellas Artes Luis A. Ferre. An award-winning fine arts center located in San Juan. http://www.cba.gobierno.pr/
- El Yunque: Covering over 28,000 acres, but only 45 minutes from San Juan, you can hike the trails here though lush vegetation and experience a spectacular view of the north east corner of the island from atop an observation tower. www.fs.fed.us/r8/el_yunque/.
- The Plaza Las Americas: Known as the largest shopping center in the Caribbean, you’ll find over 300 stores here offering a varied array of merchandise including fine jewelry, pottery, and fashionable clothing. www.plazalasamericas.net.
- Caribbean School of Aquatics. Located in Villa Marina in Fujerdo, couples can sign-up for trips to secluded tropical cays for beachcombing, swimming, snorkeling as well as sunset sailing excursions. www.saildiveparty.com.
- Mona Island: For those looking for a more off-beat travel experience, Mona Island is hailed as the Galapagos of Puerto Rico. A pristine island located between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic; on Mona Island you will discover giant iguanas, endangered sea turtles, red footed boobies and other birds. You’ll also find some of the most breathtaking diving in all of Puerto Rico. With extensive reefs, underwater caverns and Spanish galleon shipwrecks, experienced divers won’t want to miss the chance to see everything from rays and barracuda to parrotfish and dolphins. Call Adventures Tourmarine for a roundtrip day adventure. Tel: (787) 255-2525.
- The Coastal Islands: For an adventure filled day at sea, travelers can charter a catamaran sailing trip out of the San Juan harbor and enjoy on-board refreshments in between anchored snorkeling spots. Some charters may also anchor at one of the beautiful coastal islands off the Fajardo coast to spend an afternoon on a private beach. For a sailing trip, call Traveler Catamaran/Fajardo Tours. Tel: (787) 863-2821.
- Dorado Beach Resort & Club: Golf aficionados may want to try their luck at the famous course, with breathtaking ocean views and a notoriously challenging course. Tel: (787) 796-8961.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODES: 787 and 939
- AIRPORT CODES: SJU -- Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in San Juan
- TIME: Puerto Rico observes Atlantic Standard Time year-round.
- PEAK TOURIST SEASON: Between December and April
- TRAVEL DOCUMENTS: There are no passports or visas necessary for U.S. citizens. However, bring an official photo I.D. such as a driver’s license.Visitors from other countries must follow the same requirements needed to enter the U.S.
- WEATHER: Puerto Rico has an average annual temperature of 80F (26C). August tends to be the hottest and wettest month, and travelers should be aware that hurricane season technically lasts from June-November.
- TIPPING: Expected throughout the island, much as you would in the United States. 15% percent is considered appropriate in restaurants, 10% in bars, 10-15% for taxi drivers, and $1 per bag for hotel porters.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- For those planning to marry as well as honeymoon in Puerto Rico, one of the most elegant places for the ceremony is located in beautiful Old San Juan. The Catedral de San Juan is one of the oldest churches in the Americas and continues to be an important place both spiritually and culturally. It is a church frequently selected to host some of the most elite weddings on the island.
- To schedule a wedding at the Cathedral call (787) 722-0861 at least 3 months in advance.
- To prepare for your trip to Puerto Rico – and to take with you when you go -- check-out www.gotopuertorico.com where you can download video travel guides to MP3 players that have video capabilities.
- DRIVING: You can drive around Puerto Rico in a day. If you rent a car to see the sites outside of your resort area, be sure to remember that the traffic signs will be in Spanish and expressed in miles per hour, but the distances will be posted in kilometers.
- SHOPPING: For avid shoppers, bear in mind that while normal business hours are 9am-6pm, most stores hold longer hours on Friday, when shops are typically open from 9am-9pm.
Ring in the new year in style with a glamorous party at Hilton Naples. MORE
Save on a summer wedding at Marco Beach Ocean Resort on Florida's Paradise Coast with this 2015 wedding special. MORE