Characterized by its exciting cities, majestic mountain ranges, tropical coastlines, and thrilling safari areas, a South African honeymoon has it all! Lovebirds come for the charm, natural beauty, exciting nightlife, world-class dining, safari adventures and romance that this beautiful country has to offer across its many unique destinations.
South Africa offers a range of exceptional choices from golden beaches to wilderness areas where the Big Five reign supreme with the finest hotels and lodges. Enjoy plunge pools, outdoor showers and private decks with spectacular views. The locations of hotels and lodges range from vibrant cities to untamed wilderness areas. Small, private lodges and intimate hotels are matched to the most idyllic settings. Do like the locals do and experience the rich culture through a bottle of South African wine, attend a braai (a South African barbecue), or cheer at a soccer, rugby or cricket game. Whatever activities make it on your itinerary, your South African hotel will provide a comfortable home away from home whether you prefer a cozy Bed and Breakfast or a chic boutique resort. In Cape Town, stay in the scenic green valleys and let the mountains watch over you. Choose a luxury boutique hotel by the lively Waterfront complete with shops, restaurants and must-see attractions. Whisk yourselves away to an intimate cottage in the countryside for hiking trails and breathtaking views of vineyards and mountains alike. Embark on a safari, where countless rustic yet sophisticated luxury game lodges are eager to host honeymooners for an unforgettable adventure.
In a land rich with human history, the hotels and resorts complement the rhythm of nature that governs each unique South African landscape. Unwind at a vineyard, get wild in the bush or spend some time in the sand, a honeymoon in South Africa provides intimacy and tranquility. Whether you and your sweetheart stay in an idyllic hideaway in the African bush, a charming cottage in the countryside, or a luxurious hotel in the city center, couples will fall in love with the ultimate honeymoon experience South Africa delivers.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of South Africa
Tips and advices
Tips and advices+
- CAPITAL: Cape Town
- LOCATION: Located at the southern tip of Africa, South Africa is bordered on three sides by coastline – the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. The country is also bordered by Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
- AREA CODE: +27
- TIME ZONE: GMT + two hours
- CURRENCY: The rand. It is recommended that when changing money, do so at a bank or ATM as rates are better there than at a hotel.
- ELECTRICITY: 220 volts.
- LANGUAGE: Though there are 11 official languages in South Africa, nearly everyone can speak English.
- GETTING THERE: The most convenient routes fly non-stop or through connections from New York, Atlanta or Washington. Flights from the East Coast to Johannesburg range from 15-17 hours. Flights from the West Coast typical take 20 hours.
- AIRPORTS: There are three major airports in South Africa: OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, Cape Town International Airport and King Shaka International Airport in Durban.
- GETTING AROUND: Transportation available within South Africa includes taxis, cars and flights. With taxis, it is recommended that one calls ahead rather than flag one down. When driving, cars must drive on the left. Gas cannot be purchased with a credit card so make sure you are carrying some cash when on the road. Roads are generally in good shape, but it is best to drive during the day. Also, be on the lookout for strolling animals and keep your eyes peeled for traffic lights as some can be located on the far side of the intersection.
- CLIMATE: Summer in South Africa, which is December through February, is ideal for beach time. Winter, June through August, is best for game viewing. Average temperatures in Cape Town range from 64 in winter to 80 in summer. Other regions can reach as high as 95 in the summer months.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS:
- ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: Check your passport before your honeymoon. It must be valid for at least 6 months AFTER your return date and have at least two blank facing pages. South Africa also requires a valid yellow fever certificate from those travelers coming from an infected area or have been in transit through infected areas.
- CELL PHONE SERVICE: South Africa has a number of cell-phone providers that provide national coverage.
- WHAT TO PACK: Bring plenty of sunscreen. Cover yourself and wear a broad brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- DRESS IN LAYERS: Temperatures can vary widely throughout the day. Be sure to take a sweater or jacket when doing outdoor activities.
- TIPPING: Small tips are expected, even at the gas station. 10% is a general rule for restaurants, guides and taxis.
- WATER: Make sure you take bottled water when travelling to remote areas and the bush.
Honeymooners can enjoy it all in South Africa: spectacular wildlife, stunning landscapes, tasty meals, incredible cultures and daring adventures. It is the ideal destination for newlyweds hoping to experience the perfect romantic honeymoon.
- ENJOY THE VIEW: Take a cable car to the top of Table Top Mountain, the breathtaking views are on the house! Enjoy scenic hiking trails, beautiful beaches and lovely forests. Whether you choose to stop for a picnic or toast a glass of wine at the top, Table Top Mountain National Park provides a perfect day of adventures.
- RASIE A GLASS: South Africa offers a beautiful wine region, which is a quick trip from Cape Town. The vineyards offer charming cellar tours and relaxing tastings. Raising a glass to your happily ever after is an enchanting experience to take on your honeymoon.
- HIT THE BEACH: Grab your towel and sunscreen and hit the beach. South Africa has a wide-range of beaches. Head to the rocky beaches of Camps Bay, discover the pristine sands of KwaZulu-Natal or follow the locals to the laid-back shores of the Garden Route.
- LOCK IT UP: If the two of you are really looking for a daring adventure, head to Cape Town and take a dip… with sharks. Get up close and personal below the water with a cage dive with South Africa’s famous great white sharks!
- UNWIND IN THE BUSH: Leave the stresses of life behind, with a couple’s massage in the bush. The tranquility of the bush mixed with the fresh air and magic fingers are what dreams are made of.
- GIVING BACK: Community tourism projects have become a big part of travellers’ trips in Africa. Fill the day making bricks, brewing beer, teaching children or spending the day with a family.
- THE VIEW FROM ABOVE: South Africa is a country with stunning scenery and wild landscapes. But imagine taking them in from above. Float above it all in a hot-air balloon ride.
- FEEL THE MUSIC: From hip-hop to jazz to Afro-pop, feel the rhythm of South Africa through their music.