Cape Town, South Africa, is a captivating honeymoon destination that seamlessly blends natural beauty, culture, and romance. Nestled between the iconic Table Mountain and the glistening Atlantic Ocean, Cape Town offers breathtaking vistas, pristine beaches, and lush vineyards. Stroll hand in hand along the historic V&A Waterfront, explore the vibrant neighborhoods, and savor world-class cuisine in trendy restaurants. Take a cable car ride to Table Mountain’s summit, visit Robben Island, or enjoy a wine tasting tour in the Cape Winelands. With its diverse attractions and warm hospitality, Cape Town provides a dreamy backdrop for an unforgettable honeymoon.
The 13 Best Honeymoon Resorts in Cape Town
In a city celebrated for its warm hospitality, Derwent House emerges as a shining star among Cape Town’s boutique guesthouses. Nestled in the heart of the vibrant Tamboerskloof/Gardens neighborhood, this intimate hotel effortlessly marries historic charm, contemporary Afro-chic style, and modern conveniences to offer couples a uniquely Capetonian experience filled…
One & Only Cape Town
Welcome to a paradise that harmoniously blends African aesthetics and contemporary elegance at the doorstep of Africa – the One&Only Cape Town. This is a destination that not only speaks to international travelers but also beckons discerning locals, creating an oasis where you and your beloved can experience the perfect…
Cape Heritage Hotel
Tucked away in the heart of Cape Town, on the charming Heritage Square, you’ll find the Cape Heritage Hotel, a boutique four-star gem that brilliantly fuses history and contemporary elegance, intimacy and liveliness, as well as style and coziness. It’s the perfect place for a romantic honeymoon getaway that combines…
Queen Victoria Hotel
What sets the Queen Victoria Hotel apart from other hotels at the world-renowned V&A Waterfront is undoubtedly its position. Located within a precinct of heritage buildings along Portswood Road – a main artery leading to and from the Waterfront – the Queen Victoria Hotel gives you a sense of being…
This five-star boutique hotel is nestled in the tranquil Constantia Valley, against the slopes of the Constantiaberg Mountain Range. The hotel buildings, dating back to 1682, were painstakingly restored and have been declared a National Monument (the Steenberg is the oldest farm in Constantia Valley). Here the legendary elegance and…
Nestled on the eastern slopes of the iconic Table Mountain, The Vineyard Hotel beckons as a preferred 4-star sanctuary for discerning Cape Town visitors, and it is a perfect haven for honeymooners seeking a blend of luxury and natural beauty. Luxury in Abundance: The Vineyard Hotel is home to 211…
Taj Cape Town
For honeymooners seeking an unforgettable blend of rich history and contemporary luxury, look no further than Taj Cape Town. Housed within the walls of the former South African Reserve Bank, Temple Chambers, and later the Board of Executors, this exceptional hotel seamlessly combines the allure of the past with the…
Victoria & Alfred Hotel
For honeymooners seeking a blend of history, luxury, and captivating views, the Victoria & Alfred Hotel in Cape Town is a dream come true. The rich tapestry of its history is woven seamlessly with modern comfort, making it an enchanting destination for couples embarking on their journey of love. An…
The Table Bay
Nestled in the vibrant Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, The Table Bay Hotel is a luxurious family-friendly haven that offers an unforgettable experience for honeymooners. Boasting a treasure trove of amenities, this hotel is the perfect place for couples to celebrate their love and embark on a journey filled with elegance,…
Atlanticview Cape Town
If you’re dreaming of a honeymoon destination that perfectly blends romance, elegance, and breathtaking natural beauty, then look no further than Atlanticview Cape Town Boutique Hotel. This 5-star graded boutique hotel is an oasis of luxury, set high atop the chic Camps Bay, offering honeymooners an unforgettable experience where every…
Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
If you’re looking for the perfect destination to relax, explore, and create cherished memories in Cape Town, The Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa is your answer. This intimate, chic, and tastefully styled hotel is more than just a place to stay; it’s an oasis of warmth and hospitality that’s ready…
The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa
For honeymooners seeking a destination that blends natural wonder, luxury, and romance, The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa offers an unparalleled five-star experience. Nestled in a captivating setting above the Atlantic Ocean, this exquisite hotel is enveloped by the natural beauty of the Twelve Apostles and Table Mountain. A Scenic…
The Bay Hotel
Nestled in the heart of glamorous Camps Bay, with the majestic Twelve Apostle mountain range as its backdrop and the shimmering Atlantic Ocean just steps away, The Bay Hotel is a haven for honeymooners seeking an unparalleled blend of luxury and natural beauty. A Scenic Oasis: With the awe-inspiring Twelve…
About Cape Town
Average Cost of a One Week Cape Tow Honeymoon
The cost of a one-week honeymoon in Cape Town can vary based on factors like your choice of accommodations, activities, and dining preferences. Here’s a general breakdown of costs for honeymooners:
The cost of airfare to Cape Town can vary significantly depending on your departure location, the time of booking, and airline choices. On average, expect to spend between $800 to $1,500 or more per person for a round-trip ticket.
Accommodation costs in Cape Town vary widely based on your choice:
- Budget: Budget-friendly guesthouses and hostels can cost between $30 to $100 per night.
- Mid-Range: Three-star or four-star hotels typically range from $100 to $250 per night.
- Luxury: High-end resorts and boutique hotels can exceed $250 per night or more.
Daily Expenses (Per Couple)
- Food: Dining costs vary but budget around $40 to $80 per day per person for meals at restaurants, cafes, and street food.
- Transportation: Public transport and taxis are affordable. Budget approximately $20 to $40 per day for local travel and activities.
- Activities: Plan to allocate $50 to $100 per day per person for tours, excursions, and entrance fees.
- Miscellaneous: Allow for $20 to $50 per day for incidentals and souvenirs.
Average Total Cost
In total, for a one-week honeymoon in Cape Town, the estimated cost per couple can range from $2,500 to $6,000 or more, depending on your choices, preferences, and activities. Keep in mind that specific accommodations, dining experiences, and luxury services can significantly impact the overall cost. Careful planning and research can help you manage your budget effectively.
Best Time to Visit Cape Town
The best time to visit Cape Town for your honeymoon is during the southern hemisphere’s summer and early autumn, which corresponds to the months of November to April. Here’s why:
- Warm and Sunny Weather: Cape Town experiences pleasant and warm weather during this period, with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F). This makes it perfect for outdoor activities and beach days.
- Beach Season: The summer months are ideal for enjoying Cape Town’s beautiful beaches, such as Camps Bay and Clifton. You can relax in the sun, swim, and partake in water sports.
- Wine Season: The Cape Winelands, including Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, are at their best during this time. You can go wine tasting amidst the lush vineyards.
- Wildlife Viewing: Visit nearby wildlife reserves like Aquila Private Game Reserve for a safari experience. You’ll have a better chance of spotting animals in the warmer months.
- Cultural and Festive Events: This season hosts various cultural events, outdoor festivals, and live music performances that add to the vibrant atmosphere.
- Sunset Views: Enjoy stunning sunsets from the top of Table Mountain, Signal Hill, or Lion’s Head.
- Cape Floral Kingdom: Spring (September to November) in Cape Town is a botanical wonder with the blooming of the unique fynbos flowers in the Cape Floral Kingdom.
Keep in mind that this is the peak tourist season, so it’s advisable to book accommodations and activities well in advance. If you prefer quieter and less crowded conditions, consider visiting in late November or early December before the peak holiday period begins.
About Honeymooning in Cape Town
Honeymooning in Cape Town is a delightful experience, offering a rich cultural tapestry, unique cuisine, and a vibrant atmosphere. Here’s what you should know about your Cape Town honeymoon:
- Cultural Diversity: Cape Town is a melting pot of cultures, including indigenous African, Dutch, British, Indian, and Cape Malay influences. Respect and appreciate the diverse cultural heritage.
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, and Xhosa are widely spoken. English is the primary language of communication for tourists.
- Greetings: A friendly greeting is a handshake and a smile. In more traditional settings, a slight nod of the head is respectful.
- Cultural Etiquette: When visiting cultural or religious sites, dress modestly and be respectful of local customs and traditions.
- South African Rand (ZAR): The official currency is the South African Rand. Credit cards are widely accepted, and ATMs are readily available throughout the city.
- Cape Malay Cuisine: Savor the unique flavors of Cape Malay cuisine, known for its fragrant spices and curries. Don’t miss dishes like bobotie and bredie.
- Seafood: Cape Town is famous for its fresh seafood. Enjoy a seafood feast with dishes like snoek, yellowtail, and kingklip.
- Braai (Barbecue): Experience a traditional South African braai, where meats like boerewors (sausages) and steaks are grilled to perfection.
- Wine: Cape Town is surrounded by renowned wine regions. Explore the Cape Winelands and sample award-winning South African wines.
- Local Markets: Visit local food markets like the Old Biscuit Mill and Hout Bay Market for a diverse range of street food and artisanal products.
- Desserts: Try local desserts like malva pudding and koeksisters, sweet treats that are sure to delight your taste buds.
- Craft Beer: Cape Town has a thriving craft beer scene, with numerous microbreweries offering unique beer selections.
- Coffee Culture: The city has a burgeoning coffee culture. Enjoy a cup of artisanal coffee in trendy cafes.
Embrace the cultural diversity, savor the unique flavors, and immerse yourself in the rich culinary scene of Cape Town. The city’s warm hospitality and vibrant atmosphere make it an ideal destination for a romantic honeymoon.
Best Activities for a Cape Town Honeymoon
Cape Town offers a plethora of activities for a memorable honeymoon. Here are some of the best activities to consider:
- Table Mountain: Take a cable car or hike to the top of Table Mountain for panoramic views of the city and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Beach Days: Spend leisurely days on the beautiful beaches of Clifton, Camps Bay, or Boulders Beach, where you can swim and sunbathe.
- Cape Winelands: Explore the Cape Winelands, visiting renowned vineyards in Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, and Paarl for wine tastings and scenic picnics.
- Cape Peninsula Tour: Drive along the stunning Cape Peninsula. Visit Hout Bay, Cape Point, and the adorable penguins at Boulders Beach.
- Robben Island: Take a boat to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. Learn about South Africa’s history and Mandela’s legacy.
- Chapman’s Peak Drive: Drive along this scenic coastal road, stopping for breathtaking views and photo opportunities.
- Cultural Exploration: Explore cultural attractions like the District Six Museum, Bo-Kaap neighborhood, and the South African National Gallery.
- Whale Watching: In the Hermanus area, go on a boat tour to spot southern right whales during the whale-watching season (July to November).
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens: Stroll through these beautiful gardens with a backdrop of Table Mountain.
- Adventurous Activities: For thrill-seekers, try paragliding off Signal Hill, shark cage diving, or hiking the Twelve Apostles.
- Romantic Sunset Cruises: Enjoy a sunset cruise from the V&A Waterfront or Hout Bay, offering stunning views of the city and coastline.
- Spa Retreats: Pamper yourselves with spa treatments and wellness retreats in luxury hotels and resorts.
- Nightlife: Experience Cape Town’s vibrant nightlife with trendy bars, live music, and fine dining.
- Art and Design: Explore the city’s art and design scene, visiting galleries, street art, and creative spaces like the Zeitz MOCAA.
- Lion’s Head Hike: Hike up Lion’s Head for panoramic views of the city and a memorable sunrise or sunset experience.
- Shopping: Shop for local crafts, art, and jewelry at markets like Greenmarket Square and the Old Biscuit Mill.
- Stellenbosch Village: Visit the charming town of Stellenbosch for its historic architecture, boutique shops, and cafe culture.
With its diverse landscapes, rich culture, and wide range of activities, Cape Town is an ideal destination for a romantic and adventurous honeymoon. Choose activities that match your interests and create a memorable experience together.
Weather in Cape Town
Cape Town experiences a Mediterranean climate with distinct seasons. Here’s an overview of the weather in Cape Town:
- Summer (December to February):
– Summer is the peak tourist season with warm and sunny weather.
– Average temperatures range from 15°C to 27°C (59°F to 81°F).
– This is the best time for outdoor activities, beach visits, and exploring the city.
- Autumn (March to May):
– Autumn offers mild and pleasant weather with fewer crowds.
– Average temperatures range from 12°C to 25°C (54°F to 77°F).
– It’s a great time for wine tasting, hiking, and enjoying cultural events.
- Winter (June to August):
– Winter in Cape Town is the rainy season, with occasional storms.
– Average temperatures range from 7°C to 18°C (45°F to 64°F).
– It’s a good time for indoor activities, visiting museums, and enjoying the city’s culinary scene.
- Spring (September to November):
– Spring is a delightful time with pleasant weather and blooming flowers.
– Average temperatures range from 10°C to 21°C (50°F to 70°F).
– It’s an excellent time for exploring gardens, hiking, and outdoor adventures.
Keep in mind that Cape Town’s weather can change quickly, so it’s a good idea to pack layers and be prepared for various conditions. The city is known for its iconic “Cape Doctor” wind, which can provide relief from hot summer days but can be strong, so be aware of weather conditions if you plan to hike or engage in outdoor activities.
Is Cape Town Safe for a Honeymoon?
Cape Town is generally safe for tourists, including honeymooners, but like any major city, it’s important to be aware of certain safety considerations and take precautions to ensure a trouble-free experience:
- Neighborhood Safety: While many areas of Cape Town are safe for tourists, there are neighborhoods with higher crime rates. It’s advisable to research the safety of your chosen accommodation and surrounding areas.
- Street Crime: Petty theft, pickpocketing, and bag snatching can occur, especially in crowded tourist areas. Be vigilant with your belongings and avoid displaying valuable items.
- Transport Safety: Use reputable taxi services and public transportation. Avoid unmarked or unofficial taxis. Be cautious when walking at night, especially in less well-lit areas.
- Beach Safety: Be cautious of strong currents and rough seas when swimming in the ocean. Only swim in designated areas with lifeguards present.
- Wildlife Safety: If you plan to explore natural areas or go on safaris, follow safety guidelines and respect wildlife from a safe distance.
- Hiking Safety: When hiking, it’s recommended to stick to well-marked trails, hike in groups, and carry essential supplies like water, a mobile phone, and a first-aid kit.
- Health Precautions: Be aware of health-related risks, such as sun exposure and mosquito-borne diseases. Use sunscreen, stay hydrated, and consider appropriate vaccinations or medications if needed.
- Local Advice: Seek advice from your accommodation or local authorities regarding safety in the specific areas you plan to visit.
Cape Town is a beautiful and vibrant city with much to offer, and with reasonable precautions and awareness, you can enjoy a safe and memorable honeymoon. It’s always a good idea to stay informed and stay in touch with local authorities for any safety concerns.
Most Romantic Spots in Cape Town
Cape Town offers a variety of romantic locations for your honeymoon. Here are some of the most enchanting places to consider:
- Table Mountain: Take a cable car ride to the top of Table Mountain for stunning panoramic views of the city, especially during sunrise or sunset.
- Camps Bay and Clifton Beaches: These pristine beaches offer beautiful sunsets, soft white sand, and clear waters, perfect for romantic walks and beachside picnics.
- Boulders Beach: Visit this idyllic beach to see the resident colony of African penguins and enjoy a unique beach experience.
- Chapman’s Peak Drive: Take a scenic drive along this coastal road that offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden: Stroll hand in hand through the beautifully landscaped gardens with the backdrop of Table Mountain.
- V&A Waterfront: Explore the vibrant waterfront with its shops, restaurants, and romantic sunset cruises departing from the harbor.
- Cape Winelands: The charming towns of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands are known for their wine estates and romantic vineyard settings.
- Constantia Wine Route: Discover the romantic charm of Constantia with its historic estates and lush gardens.
- Signal Hill: Enjoy a picnic or a glass of wine on Signal Hill while watching the sunset over the city.
- Babylonstoren: Visit this historic farm in the winelands and explore its beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Kalk Bay: This picturesque fishing village is perfect for a leisurely day of strolling, dining, and exploring art galleries.
- Spa Retreats: Treat yourselves to a day of relaxation and rejuvenation at one of Cape Town’s luxurious spas.
- Bo-Kaap: The colorful houses and vibrant atmosphere of Bo-Kaap provide an ideal backdrop for romantic walks.
- Sunset Cruises: Embark on a romantic sunset cruise from the V&A Waterfront or Hout Bay for a memorable evening on the water.
- Hout Bay: Explore the seaside charm of Hout Bay and enjoy fresh seafood at waterfront restaurants.
- Chardonnay Deli: This charming deli in Franschhoek offers a lovely setting for a relaxed breakfast or brunch.
Each of these locations offers its unique ambiance and experiences, making Cape Town a perfect destination for a romantic and unforgettable honeymoon.