From the first greeting of e komo mai, you know you are in for an exceptional getaway. Known as the Garden Isle, Kauai embraces you with grace, beauty and sheer emotional impact that are almost surreal in their loveliness. As Hawaii’s fourth largest island, your honeymoon on Kauai will set you in the center of intense natural brilliance with green valleys lined by jagged mountains, sprinkled with stunning tropical rainforests, wandering rivers and cascading waterfalls. Whether you want a romantic getaway that's relaxed or action packed, you'll get a Kauai honeymoon located in a true piece of heaven on earth.
Celebrating your honeymoon in Kauai will leave you with a surreal emotional connection with this startlingly untouched island, which is divided into five sections North Shore (Princeville), East Side (Coconut Coast), Lihue (Kalapaki), South Shore (Poipu) and West Side (Waimea). Whether soaring above the striking Napali Coast or hiking Waimea Canyon, Kauai offers you adventures in land, sea and sky rivaling any spectacle you’ve ever experienced.
However you choose to explore the island, be it kayaking the Wailua River, snorkeling at Poipu Beach, walking on Kokee State Park trails or zip lining through leafy valleys, you’ll feel the aloha spirit of the local charm of the land and people. Their ho’okipa, or hospitality, is as laid-back yet meaningful, sumptuous, and undeniably as alluring as Kauai. Also home to a variety of fun and interesting festivals throughout the year, honeymooners should check to see which celebrations you'd most like to join during your romantic rendezvous. From Hawaiian music and art exhibitions to coconut festivals honoring the island's native fruit, these fun-filled gatherings are a great way to get closer to Kauai's culture and history while also making for an unforgettable date!
The island offers a little bit of everything for everyone so start planning the best spot to say "I Do", book your honeymoon, check out some accommodation ideas and get some golf tips for ideas on getting a game or two into your honeymoon agenda. Couples of all types agree: honeymoons in Kauai are truly celebrations in paradise.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Kauai
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- WHEN TO VISIT: Kauai’s weather is ideal year-round. Daytime temperatures range from mid-70s to mid-80s, with trade winds providing a refreshing breeze. Rain showers fall predominately over the mountain ranges.
- GETTING THERE: Flights are usually 10-11 hours to Honolulu from New York City, or just 5 hours or so from Los Angeles. From Honolulu, you'll hop on a short flight to Lihue Airport on Kauai. Couples from the west coast of the US can even find direct flights to Lihue.
- GETTING AROUND: Ground transportation is plentiful including hotel shuttles, taxis and rental car companies. Bicycles are also a fun way to see the island up close! Buses go to major areas but won't go to more rural attractions. Several tour companies provide guided tours aboard motor coaches, mini-buses and vans.
- LANGUAGE: English and Hawaiian. The locals love peppering conversation with Hawaiian (especially greetings), and feel free to join them! Fear not, however - English is spoken everywhere.
- CLIMATE: Kauai is wonderful year-round, with temperatures usually from 70-85 Farenheit and in the 90s during summertime. Kauai gets the most rainfall and grayer skies from November to March.
- CURRENCY: As in all 50 US states, the US Dollar is the currency. The international airport at Honolulu has exchange windows for you to convert your cash.
- HOLLYWOOD: Kauai has been the location for many popular movies – Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, Tropic Thunder, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Descendants and Jurassic World.
- DRIVING TIPS: Some of the customs developed by Kauai residents include: Drive slowly; No tailgating; No honking. When approaching a single-lane bridge, yield to oncoming traffic. If you are the oncoming traffic and there is a line waiting on the other side, stop and let your neighbors cross – customarily five to seven cars at a time.
- SOAK UP THE SCENERY: Called the "Garden Island," Kauai's natural scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. Hiking, biking and horseback riding are some of the best ways to soak up the isle's most marvelous sights, but the island's golf courses are another route to experiencing the incredible vistas. From wildlife sanctuaries to crystal waterfalls and sparkling bays, the Kauai honeymoon views are as romantic as they come, no matter which activities you choose.
- DIVE IN: Couples choosing a honeymoon in Kauai will want to spend some time on the world-class beaches, but there's even more to see if you jump in the water! Snorkel, dive, swim, rent paddleboards or surfboards and experience the love of Kauai through the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean.
- PARTY DOWN: Hawaii is known for its Luaus, fun-filled Polynesian parties where you can feast around the tiki torches and dance your pants off with Hawaiian performers. For something more relaxed, have a romantic dinner during one of the island's legendary sunsets or, for the best of both, follow up your sunset dinner with a luau to romance and dance the night away!
- FLY THROUGH THE SKY: If love is in the air, why not take your honeymoon to the sky? Your romantic getaway to Kauai is a trip to a tropical wonderland, and seeing the island from a helicopter gives you a view you won't get anywhere else. Zoom over the green cliffs, white waterfalls and golden beaches and prepare to be left in absolute awe.
- SAIL THE SEAS: Get a different perspective on the islands from a chartered boat. You'll see different parts of the island in all their beauty, and all you have to do is kick back, hold your sweetheart and enjoy the ride.
- IT TAKES TWO: Rent a tandem kayak and experience Kauai's beauty as you share the experience of paddling together through paradise. Tandem ziplines can get you soaring through the forest with your honey strapped close, and sharing an ATV will get adrenaline flowing as you zoom along beautiful nature trails hugging your heartthrob. With so many activities to share, Kauai is truly a couples' paradise!
- FORE: Whether you pack your cubs or borrow some, Kauai is home to four of the top 15 golf courses in Hawaii so make sure you make some time to hit the links!