700 islands and inlets and 2,400 cays can be all yours to enjoy on a honeymoon in The Bahamas. Getting there couldn’t be easier, and from the moment you arrive you’ll be surrounded by splendid beaches and friendly people. The first of the island chain lies just 50 miles off the Southeastern coast of Florida. New Providence (Nassau and Paradise Island) and Grand Bahama (Freeport/Lucaya) are the largest and most sophisticated of the group.
You can soak up island flavor by day and try your newlywed luck at world-class casinos by night. The pace is slower and more picturesque in the romantic “Out Islands” such as Eleuthera, Harbour Island, the Abacos, Bimini and San Salvador, where you can relax on pristine, white sand beaches, gaze at the stars shining on the water, and savour the silence and and tranquility as you start your new lives together.
- NASSAU: Visit the bustling Straw Market to see plenty of local color and mountains of native handicrafts, then take a ride in a horsedrawn carriage to see the downtown sights.
Tips and Advice
- GETTING THERE: The largest airports are in of Nassau, Freeport and New Providence. Flights from NYC and Chicago take about 6 hours, and from LA about 8.25 hours.
- GETTING AROUND: Buses known as jitneys can take you all around Nassau and New Providence, and taxis are available on other major islands but are fairly expensive. The best way to shuttle between islands is by boat. Windward Islands is one of the premier yacht charters in the Bahamas.
- DUTY FREE: Tax-free goods can be found at 25-50% off US prices.To get real bargains, price items at home before you go so you know what your actual savings will be.
- TIPPING: Tip 10-15% of the bill, but first check to see if a Service Charge has already been included.
- WEATHER: Soft trade winds blow year round to produce a gentle, warm climate. Average year round temperature Sept.-May is 70-75 degrees F; 80-85 degrees F the rest of the year. May-Oct. is the rainy season but showers are usually short. Out Island temperatures are a bit hotter with high humidity in summer months.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- DRESS: Jackets are required in most good restaurants. Take a wrap or sweater for cool evenings. Beach clothes cannot be worn on the streets of larger towns.
- DRIVING: You can use your US drivers’ license but British rules apply. Drive on the left and look right before crossing the street.
- MONEY: Bahamian and US money are inter-changeable, but not all Out Islands have ATMs.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE