Puerto Vallarta, nestled along Mexico’s Pacific Coast, is the epitome of a dreamy honeymoon destination. This coastal gem offers a captivating blend of natural beauty, vibrant culture, and romantic charm. Couples can explore pristine beaches, take a sunset cruise on Banderas Bay, or wander the cobbled streets of the Old Town. The city’s warm hospitality and gourmet dining options set the stage for intimate moments. Whether it’s relaxing at a luxury resort, exploring lush jungles, or enjoying a lively mariachi serenade, Puerto Vallarta promises an unforgettable honeymoon filled with romance, adventure, and the magic of Mexico.
The 11 Best Honeymoon Resorts in Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai Puerto Vallarta
Tucked away in the sun-kissed paradise of Puerto Vallarta, Hotel Mousai stands as a testament to the marriage of flirtatious aesthetics and cutting-edge comfort. For honeymooners in pursuit of an unforgettable romantic escape, this resort in the heart of Jalisco is an opulent haven that promises to inspire you to…
Grand Miramar Resort
112 suites. Couples who like being “above it all” will love life in this tranquil resort. Perched atop a hill in Conchas Chinas, Puerto Vallarta’s posh residential section, it is the highest hotel in town. A nature preserve borders one side and a spectacular bay view is on the other…
Garlands del Rio
Located on the Rio Cuale, Garlands del Rio hotel is a majestic honeymoon wonderland. Its unique location makes you feel one with the jungle and babbling river as you kick back in luxuriously appointed, stylish-yet classic rooms with their own distinct Vallartan aesthetic. The small boutique hotel is intimate, and…
Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
The secluded Garza Blanca Puerto Vallarta is located between the Bay of Banderas and the vast, lush footfills of the Sierra Madre mountains. It captures the spirit of Mother Nature with an eco-friendly spirit, focusing on blending in with nature rather than imposing upon it. By preserving the beauty of…
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Look no further than the Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway in Puerto Vallarta for a haven of refinement and sophisticated luxury. This unique adult-only hideaway caters to individuals looking for a really unforgettable and intimate escape. It’s no surprise that this hotel has received international praise, given its…
Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa
For honeymooners seeking an exquisite blend of natural beauty and luxurious elegance, the Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta is nothing short of a dream come true. Nestled between the azure waters of the Pacific Ocean and the lush Sierra Madre mountains, this resort offers a spectacular…
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Infused with romance, Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta is an adults-only paradise. Situated on the golden sand beaches on the Pacific coast and located just minutes from the famous ‘El Malecón’ boardwalk, adults will enter a world of Unlimited-Luxury® with superior service, well-appointed suites and breathtaking views. Make your honeymoon…
Hilton Vallarta Riviera
Nestled in the enchanting embrace of a private cove at the foothills of the majestic Sierra Madre Mountains, the Hilton Vallarta Riviera All-Inclusive Resort is nothing short of a dream destination for honeymooners seeking a romantic and authentic experience in Puerto Vallarta. With its 444 oceanfront guest rooms and a…
Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Nestled along the serene shores of Banderas Bay, the Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta is a dreamy haven that captures the essence of a perfect honeymoon escape. As honeymooners, my partner and I had the pleasure of staying at this enchanting resort, and it exceeded…
Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta
Our recent honeymoon at Fiesta Americana Puerto Vallarta was an enchanting escape that we will treasure forever. This extraordinary resort, located in the heart of the captivating Banderas Bay, effortlessly combines the unique charm and warmth of Puerto Vallarta with the contemporary elegance of Mexican architecture, creating a haven that…
Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Whether you are planning your honeymoon, a big wedding party or an intimate ceremony and reception for just your family and closest friends, Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta is the perfect place for this memorable day. This all inclusive resort is located just 5 minutes from the International Airport and…
About Puerto Vallarta
Average Cost of a One Week Puerto Vallarta Honeymoon
The average cost of a one-week honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta can vary widely depending on your preferences, but here’s a general breakdown of expenses to help you plan:
Round-trip flights for two: Approximately $800 to $1,500 per person, depending on your departure location and the time of booking. This could total $1,600 to $3,000.
- Luxury resorts: If you’re looking for an upscale experience, you might spend around $300 to $600 per night. For a week, this could range from $2,100 to $4,200.
- Mid-range hotels or vacation rentals: You can find more affordable options, ranging from $100 to $250 per night, totaling $700 to $1,750 for the week.
- Meals: Budget approximately $50 to $100 per day per person for dining at restaurants. Over a week, this adds up to $700 to $1,400.
- Activities and excursions: Depending on your interests, plan for around $100 to $300 per person for various activities during the week, amounting to $200 to $600 for both.
- Local transportation and miscellaneous expenses: Budget an additional $100 to $200 per day for things like local transportation, shopping, and unexpected expenses. This would be $700 to $1,400 for the week.
Average Total Cost
In total, for a one-week honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta, the cost can range from approximately $4,300 to $8,350, or even more if you opt for luxury accommodations and exclusive experiences. Remember that these are rough estimates, and actual costs may vary based on your choices and how you manage your expenses during your trip. It’s essential to plan your budget according to your unique preferences and financial situation.
Best Time to Visit Puerto Vallarta
The best time to visit Puerto Vallarta for your honeymoon depends on your preferences and what kind of experience you’re looking for. Here’s a breakdown of different seasons to help you decide:
- High Season (Mid-December to April):
- Weather: This is the dry season with warm, sunny days and cooler nights. Perfect for beach activities and exploring.
- Ideal For: Couples who prefer stable weather and vibrant nightlife. Expect more crowds and higher prices during this time, especially around Christmas and New Year’s.
- Shoulder Season (May to June):
- Weather: Warm temperatures with occasional showers. It’s less crowded, and prices may be more reasonable.
- Ideal For: Those who want to avoid peak crowds but don’t mind a little rain. You can still enjoy outdoor activities.
- Rainy Season (July to September):
- Weather: Hot and humid with frequent rain showers, but the landscape is lush and green.
- Ideal For: Budget-conscious travelers who don’t mind the occasional rain and prefer more affordable rates. It’s great for indoor activities and relaxation.
- Fall Season (October to mid-December):
- Weather: The weather begins to improve with less rainfall. It’s a transitional period.
- Ideal For: Those who want to avoid both the rainy season and the peak season. You can enjoy pleasant weather without the high prices and crowds.
Ultimately, the best time for your honeymoon depends on your priorities. If you want great weather and vibrant nightlife, the high season may be best. If you’re looking for budget-friendly options and don’t mind some rain, consider the rainy season. For a balance of good weather and fewer crowds, the shoulder season is a great choice. Evaluate your preferences and plan accordingly to make your honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta a memorable experience.
About Honeymooning in Puerto Vallarta
Certainly, here’s what you should know about honeymooning in Puerto Vallarta in terms of culture, currency, and cuisine:
- Language: The primary language is Spanish, but many locals in tourist areas speak some English. Learning a few basic Spanish phrases can be helpful and appreciated.
- Friendly Locals: Puerto Vallarta is known for its warm and welcoming locals. Embrace the local culture and customs, and you’ll have a more enriching experience.
- Festivals: Check the local festival calendar. Puerto Vallarta hosts various festivals throughout the year, celebrating everything from food to art and culture. Participating in these events can be a memorable experience.
- Peso (MXN): The official currency is the Mexican Peso. While credit cards are widely accepted, it’s a good idea to carry some pesos for small purchases and in case you visit places that don’t accept cards.
- ATMs: ATMs are readily available in Puerto Vallarta, making it easy to withdraw pesos. However, be cautious about using ATMs in remote areas to avoid potential fraud.
- Mexican Delights: Mexican cuisine is diverse and delicious. Try local dishes like tacos, ceviche, tamales, and chiles en nogada. Don’t miss out on street food for an authentic culinary experience.
- Seafood: Being a coastal town, Puerto Vallarta is renowned for its fresh seafood. Enjoy dishes like grilled fish, shrimp cocktails, and seafood aguachile.
- Salsas and Spices: Mexican cuisine is known for its salsas and spices. Be prepared for flavorful and often spicy dishes. If you can’t handle spice, ask for milder versions.
- Tequila and Mezcal: Puerto Vallarta offers a chance to taste authentic tequila and mezcal. Take a tequila tasting tour to explore the different varieties.
- Tipping: It’s customary to leave a tip of around 10-15% at restaurants if service is not included. At all-inclusive resorts, tipping is less common but still appreciated for exceptional service.
- Food Allergies: If you have food allergies, communicate your dietary restrictions clearly. Many restaurants are accommodating, but it’s essential to ensure your safety.
Embrace the local culture, try the cuisine, and manage your currency wisely to fully enjoy your honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta. It’s a destination that offers a beautiful blend of traditions, flavors, and welcoming locals.
Best Activities for a Puerto Vallarta Honeymoon
A Puerto Vallarta honeymoon offers a diverse range of activities to make your trip memorable. Here are some of the best activities to consider:
1. Beach Days: Spend quality time relaxing on the pristine beaches. Whether it’s the bustling Playa Los Muertos or a secluded cove, the beaches are perfect for romantic walks, sunbathing, and water activities.
2. Sunset Cruise: Enjoy a romantic sunset cruise on Banderas Bay. Many tours offer live music, gourmet dinners, and the chance to watch dolphins and whales during the winter months.
3. Water Sports: Try water sports like snorkeling, paddleboarding, or kayaking. The crystal-clear waters and abundant marine life make for fantastic adventures.
4. Ziplining: Explore the lush Sierra Madre Mountains with a ziplining adventure. It’s an exhilarating way to experience the natural beauty of the region.
5. Botanical Gardens: Visit the Vallarta Botanical Gardens, a serene place with vibrant plant life, walking trails, and peaceful settings for couples.
6. El Malecón: Stroll along the Malecón, Puerto Vallarta’s iconic boardwalk. Enjoy street performances, art installations, and the scenic views of the Pacific Ocean.
7. Visit Old Town: Explore the historic Zona Romántica, characterized by its cobblestone streets, charming architecture, and vibrant art scene.
8. Fine Dining: Puerto Vallarta offers a wide range of dining experiences. Don’t miss the chance to savor authentic Mexican cuisine and fresh seafood.
9. Tequila Tasting: Learn about and savor Mexico’s national spirit with a tequila tasting tour. It’s an enjoyable way to delve into the country’s culture.
10. Spa Day: Treat yourselves to a couples’ spa day. Many resorts and independent spas offer a variety of pampering treatments in a tranquil setting.
11. Art Walk: If you’re into art, visit Puerto Vallarta’s Old Town Art Walk, where you can explore galleries showcasing local and international artists.
12. Day Trip to Sayulita: Take a day trip to the charming surf town of Sayulita. Explore its vibrant streets, enjoy beach activities, and savor delicious food.
13. Whale Watching: If you visit between December and March, consider a whale-watching tour to witness humpback whales and their calves in the bay.
14. Canopy Adventure: Embark on a canopy adventure through the jungle, featuring exhilarating zip lines and hanging bridges.
15. Marietas Islands: Go on a boat tour to the Marietas Islands to see hidden beaches and marine life in an ecologically protected area.
Customize your honeymoon with a mix of these activities to create unforgettable memories in Puerto Vallarta. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or cultural experiences, this destination has it all.
Weather in Puerto Vallarta
The weather in Puerto Vallarta is generally pleasant throughout the year, making it a great honeymoon destination. Here’s an overview of the climate:
1. Dry Season (Winter): The best time to visit Puerto Vallarta is during the dry season, which typically runs from November to April. During these months, you can expect warm, sunny days with little to no rainfall. The average temperatures range from the mid-70s to low 80s°F (24-29°C).
2. Rainy Season (Summer): The rainy season in Puerto Vallarta starts around late May and continues through October. During this period, you can expect occasional heavy rain showers, especially in the afternoons or evenings. The humidity levels are higher, and temperatures often range from the mid-80s to low 90s°F (29-35°C).
3. Hurricane Season: Puerto Vallarta is in the hurricane-prone area, with the official hurricane season spanning from June 1 to November 30. While hurricanes are relatively rare, it’s a good idea to stay informed and be prepared if traveling during this time.
4. Whale Watching Season: If you’re interested in whale watching, visit between December and March. Humpback whales migrate to Banderas Bay during these months, providing excellent opportunities for sightings.
Keep in mind that weather patterns can vary slightly from year to year. When planning your honeymoon, consider your weather preferences and the activities you’d like to enjoy in Puerto Vallarta.
Is Puerto Vallarta Safe for a Honeymoon?
Puerto Vallarta is generally considered a safe and popular destination for honeymooners and tourists. Like any travel destination, it’s essential to take some precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip:
- Safe Areas: Most of the popular tourist areas, such as the Zona Romantica, Marina Vallarta, and downtown Puerto Vallarta, are considered safe for travelers. Stick to well-traveled areas, especially at night.
- Use Reputable Accommodations: Choose well-established and reputable hotels or resorts for your stay. These properties often have security measures in place.
- Stay Informed: Keep informed about the local news and any travel advisories issued by your government. Check with local authorities or your accommodation for any safety tips.
- Health and Safety Precautions: Take basic health precautions such as staying hydrated, applying sunscreen, and being mindful of the local cuisine to prevent foodborne illnesses.
- Avoid Risky Activities: While enjoying adventure activities, like water sports or excursions, ensure you book with licensed and experienced providers. Always follow safety guidelines.
- Money and Valuables: Keep your money, passports, and valuables secure, either in a hotel safe or using travel security products like money belts.
- Transportation: Use reliable and licensed transportation services. It’s generally safe to use taxis and ride-sharing apps, but always double-check the driver’s credentials.
- Respect Local Customs: Be aware of local customs and traditions, and show respect for the local culture and people. This helps create a more positive and safe environment.
- Emergency Contact: Keep important contact information on hand, including your country’s embassy or consulate in Mexico.
While Puerto Vallarta is known for its hospitality and welcoming atmosphere, it’s wise to maintain a level of awareness and take basic safety precautions, as you would in any travel destination. By doing so, you can enjoy a safe and memorable honeymoon in this beautiful city.
Most Romantic Spots in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta offers numerous romantic locations and activities for honeymooners. Here are some of the most romantic spots and experiences:
- Las Caletas Beach Hideaway: Take a private boat to the secluded Las Caletas Beach, where you can enjoy a romantic dinner under the stars, stargazing, and even a nighttime bioluminescence experience.
- Zona Romantica: This charming neighborhood is known for its cobblestone streets, colorful buildings, and lively atmosphere. Enjoy a romantic stroll, explore art galleries, dine at exquisite restaurants, and savor the vibrant nightlife.
- Puerto Vallarta Botanical Gardens: Explore the lush and tranquil botanical gardens. Enjoy a romantic picnic, bird watching, and beautiful plant life in this serene setting.
- El Malecón: Take a leisurely walk along Puerto Vallarta’s oceanfront promenade. The Malecón is perfect for watching the sunset, enjoying street performances, and visiting art installations.
- Marietas Islands: Embark on a private tour to the hidden Marietas Islands. You can snorkel, explore caves, and enjoy the stunning beaches. It’s a secluded and romantic getaway.
- Yelapa: A boat trip to Yelapa is a peaceful escape from the bustling city. Explore waterfalls, swim in natural pools, and enjoy the village’s tranquility.
- Sunset Cruises: Enjoy a romantic sunset cruise, often complete with dinner, cocktails, and live music. Watch the sun dip below the horizon as you cruise along Banderas Bay.
- Romantic Dining: Puerto Vallarta offers a wealth of romantic dining options. Try oceanside dining at one of the many beachfront restaurants, or book a table at a gourmet restaurant with beautiful city or ocean views.
- Couples’ Spa Retreats: Book a couples’ spa day at one of Puerto Vallarta’s luxurious spas. Enjoy massages, hot tubs, and various wellness treatments together.
- Beachside Picnics: Many hotels and resorts offer beachside picnic experiences where you can enjoy a private meal and beautiful views.
These are just a few options for romantic experiences in Puerto Vallarta. The city’s natural beauty and charming atmosphere make it an ideal destination for a memorable and romantic honeymoon.