Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
The harmonious pairing of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin is perhaps the Caribbean’s most enduring love story, making it a fantasylike destination for honeymooning bliss. Between the Dutch Sint Maarten in the south and French Saint Martin in the north, the entire island encompasses just 34 square miles and carefully nurtures its hidden-gem vibe. Picture a tropical oasis surrounded by vibrant blue ocean waters and kissed by spectacular sunrises and sunsets.
There is a lifetime of things to see and do packed into the tiny island. Visitors are welcome (and encouraged!) to freely explore both Sint Maarten and St. Martin, providing honeymooners with the rare experience of having two distinct destinations to explore at their leisure. The freedom of movement extends far beyond the island, too, with the island earning the ‘Crossroads of the Caribbean’ moniker for its proximity to Anguilla, St. Barts, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Eustatius, and Saba.
Couples seeking luxury pampering will find five-star hotels and resorts that will bring any fantasy to life. And for those seeking something a little quieter, there are endless guesthouses, private residences, and timeshares to choose from. The island strives to match a Caribbean paradise with the warmth of home, and honeymooners will find the experience to be both comfortable and exotic.
From the energetic entertainment district of Maho Village to the panoramic views of Orient Beach, there’s always something new to discover on Sint Maarten/Saint Martin. Couples will fall head over heels for the laid-back Dutch attitude married with the French ‘je ne said quoi’. As a honeymoon destination for both the young and young at heart, Sint Maarten/Saint Martin is singular in its romantic offerings.
The 3 Best Honeymoon Resorts in Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
Grand Case Beach Club
Tucked along a quiet shoreline in St. Martin is the Grand Case Beach Club. It’s a peaceful beachside hideaway where serenity rules and incredible views abound. Boasting two private beaches and rooms with sunset views, it’s an intimate honeymoon heaven at the Grand Case Beach Club in St. Martin. Take…
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sint Maarten’s Maho Bay has long been considered one of the Caribbean’s most iconic gems, and Sonesta Ocean Point Resort is the ideal way to experience it. The all-inclusive, adults-only resort redefines honeymoon luxury with pristine pools, exemplary service, and exclusive dining options that are the height of romance. All…
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
As the sun begins to rise above the all-inclusive Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, couples will find themselves awakening in a stunning Caribbean setting where the sky is the limit. The resort’s dazzling ten-acre property is set along one of the premier stretches of Maho Bay, located just…
About Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
The Most Romantic Spot in Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
If there is a pinnacle of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin’s 37 beaches, the bright white sands and clear blue waters of Orient Beach might just be it. The beach is lined with a number of high-end restaurants serving gourmet cuisines with one of the most spectacular Caribbean backdrops you’re likely to find. By day, couples can enjoy ice-cold beers and cocktails out on the beach, and at sunset, the candlelit dining is the epitome of island romance.
For a bit of a unique experience, couples can head to the beach’s south end for a clothing-optional experience! Whether you’re looking to enjoy a refreshing swim, live entertainment, or simply one of the most romantic views on the island, Orient Beach is a sight that transcends even the most beautiful photographs.
More Romantic Things to Do in Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
A once-in-a-lifetime trip calls for some unique experiences you’ll always remember. Thankfully, Sint Maarten/Saint Martin is a small island with endless things for lovebirds to discover!
- The all-in-one destination of Maho Village is ideal for shopping excursions, romantic dining, and dancing the night away. It’s also home to the largest casino and theatre on the island, so there’s always something to enjoy no matter the time of day.
- Loterie Farm is a gorgeous tropical nature preserve that features 54 hectares of protected island beauty. Whether you’re looking for relaxation or adventure, you’ve come to the right place. Wade through the luxurious Jungle Pool, zip above the treetops on a forest canopy tour, or explore the preserve on a quiet hike.
- From Point Blanche to Big Momma, the island’s snorkeling and scuba diving spots are some of the Caribbean’s most stunning. Divers will have the opportunity to explore iconic shipwrecks, see tropical creatures up close, and take in magnificent coral reefs.
- Besides Orient Beach, couples have a phenomenal selection of other beaches to relax at. Great Bay Beach, Pinel Beach, Little Bay Beach, and Maho Beach are all excellent choices for both lazy beach days and fun watersports.
Activities and Attractions in Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
Looking to learn all about the centuries-old history of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin? Or how about an adrenaline-fueled adventure that will have you and your loved one cheering for more? The island has it all, and it’s up to you to decide how to take it all in!
- Bubbly sunset cruises, horseback riding on the beach, rum distillery tours, dune buggy experiences, and rainforest adventures simply scratch the surface of what Nexus Tours can provide you.
- Intimate music festivals are a signature of the small island, and visitors can take in the rhythms at events like the Our Roots Festival, the Moonlight Drum Festival, and the Oualichi Festival.
- Creative artwork abounds in the city of Phillipsburg, and what started with a dozen murals has now evolved into a thriving art scene with vibrant new pieces being added on a consistent basis.
- Adventurous couples will not want to miss “The Flying Dutchman” at Rockland Estate, which features the steepest drop of any zipline in the world. Plus, the 1,000ft+ Soualiga Sky Explorer ride up Sentry Hill offers some of the most astonishing views anywhere in the Caribbean.
Sint Maarten / Saint Martin Restaurants & Local Cuisine
Foodies will undoubtedly embrace the culinary capital of the region, with the island boasting a terrific array of international cuisines infused with elements of 120 nationalities. From French and Dutch to African and Latin American, a melting pot of flavors has been established to give Sint Maarten/Saint Martin a well-deserved status as the culinary capital of the Caribbean.
Count on indulging in locally grown fruits and vegetables, a fantastic assortment of spices and unique seasonings, fresh seafood, and premium meats. And you’ll definitely want to sample the famous Callaloo Soup in Saint Martin and Conch & Dumplings in Sint Maarten, but there are hundreds more dishes to try! In fact, with more than 300 restaurants to indulge in, you could stay for a year without visiting the same restaurant twice.
- At the Flavor Academy, couples can enjoy both romantic fine dining or interactive workshops at this unique husband-and-wife-owned cooking spot. The multi-course tasting menu is the perfect overview of the diverse flavors that the island is known for.
- The history that surrounds diners at Emilio’s is truly something special. A casual bistro experience during the day and offering fine dining after sunset, the cozy restaurant features mouthwatering Caribbean dishes and an extensive wine list.
- Premium cuts served within a delightfully intimate setting, JAX has risen to the top of steakhouses on the island with an incredible variety of steaks and other dishes.
- Bistrot Caraibes is Saint Martin’s home for French gourmet dining paired with a terrific wine list. The atmosphere is sophisticated and romantic, making it an excellent choice for that special honeymoon dinner.
For a quick bite, drink, or casual dinner, try these other great spots:
- There is no shortage of tasty food trucks to visit on the island, with Captain D’s BBQ, Cindy’s Roti Shack, and The Original Fat Boy Jimmy all being local favorites.
- Caribbean Brewing Company was recently established and already won the silver medal at the 2021 London Beer Competition. The brewery and beer garden are the perfect spots to enjoy some chilled brews while gazing out at Great Bay.
- Vegetarians, vegans, and plant-based enthusiasts will not want to miss Ras Bushman’s Ital Shack, which specializes in vegetarian patties and scrumptious porridges.
Sint Maarten / Saint Martin Culture & Considerations
You’ll find numerous languages spoken on the island, with English and Dutch being the official languages of Sint Maarten and French for Saint Martin. English is widely spoken, so international travelers will be able to communicate with ease.
Sint Maarten/Saint Martin is widely considered a safe honeymoon destination for soaking up the Caribbean sun. The general guidelines for visiting any destination apply, including being aware of your surroundings, keeping valuables locked up at your hotel, arranging nighttime transportation, and sticking predominantly to popular attractions.
Tipping on the island is dependent on which side you find yourself on. If you are dining at a restaurant in St. Maarten, the American system of tipping applies where a tip should be added on top of the total bill. The St. Martin side, however, follows the European model in which a service charge is included in the price of the meal, thus tipping is not required. Feel free to round up the change or leave a few dollars for great service.
Traveling to Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
Weather and When to Visit
The average temperature on the island is 80 degrees, so expect a warm tropical climate 365 days a year. December to April temperatures range from 68 to 90, though June through November can see temperatures well into the 90s. The dry season from January to June is the most popular for tourism, but the lush plants you’ll find during the summer months are truly a treat.
Flights to Sint Maarten / Saint Martin
Flying into Sint Maarten’s Princess Juliana International Airport is the easiest way to travel to the island. The island’s main airport is serviced by international flights from American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, United Airlines, and countless others. There are nonstop flights from New York, Miami, Charlotte, and plenty of additional cities/countries for a relaxed travel experience.
The island’s small size allows you to customize your honeymoon to your liking. Rent a car and explore at your leisure, or take a taxi or guided tour to visit anywhere you desire. There are also a number of privately-owned buses to travel to cities like Philipsburg and Maho.