St. Croix Overview
Tucked within the island of St. Croix, couples can find the old towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted, charming hideaways where foodie honeymooners can dine till they drop, bargain hunters can shop duty-free and cultural connoisseurs can explore colonial churches and history museums. Though it’s the largest of the three main islands, St. Croix is more rural than its sisters St. John and St. Thomas, lending it a special pastoral character that lends itself perfectly to romance.
Of course, honeymoons in St. Croix are sure to be filled with beach days as lazy or activity-filled as you desire. As quiet as lying on the beach or snorkeling the shallows, or as loud as ripping across the forest on an ATV, your St. Croix honeymoon can be whatever you want it to be.
See the gorgeous green and turquoise islands from above, buzzing through the skies in a Cessna. Or, if animals are your thing, saddle up and get personal with the tropical forests by exploring them on horseback. From all-inclusive to tailor made, the honeymoon options in the US Virgin Islands are nearly limitless. Some of the island’s best discoveries await when you book your honeymoon package in idyllic St. Croix.
Nature and history intertwine to bring honeymooners an unforgettably romantic experience when they travel to the island of St. Croix. Set amidst the U.S. Virgin Islands, this scenic location has fun activities for couples to enjoy year-round.
Relish in sweet sugar cane, warm summer breezes, boardwalks, and pastel colored homes dotting green hillsides. Whether you’d rather trot along the beach on horseback, discover historic relics on the coast, or hike through the tropical forest, you’ll have more than a few activites to scratch off your newlywed bucket list. You might even find yourselves booking an anniversary trip to St. Croix before you’ve even left the island!
- SNORKEL HEADS AND BEACH BUMS: Who could honeymoon on an island set along the Caribbean Sea and not take advantage of the open turquoise water and pearly white beaches? Wade in a secluded tidal pool at Chenay Bay and lounge on beaches like Annalu Bay. Saint Croix is home to great snorkeling and nature tours where you can view everything from huge schools of sparkling tropical fish to officially endangered species. Buck Island boasts national monuments that can only be viewed by diving through an underwater trail. The island boasts an eco-friendly attitude that's critical to preserving the rich diversity of marine life.
- A FOODIE'S PARADISE: Satisfy your craving for indulgence with some of the best Caribbean cuisine the islands have to offer. Fish, goat and pork are incorporated into many of their tastiest dishes. The melting pot of cultures comes to life in their food, where influences from Puerto Rico, Europe and Africa blend into unique culinary masterpieces!
- MANGO MADNESS: You can’t visit St. Croix without tasting the sweet nectar of their succulent mangos. In the summer months, you’ll find the staple fruit everywhere, including local fruit stands and food festivals.
- GO WINE-WILD: The biggest food celebration the island hosts is the St. Croix Food and Wine Experience. Each April, this weeklong festival takes over the island. The food is served in heaping portions and the wine is overflowing. Celebrity chefs, cooking show personalities and top winemakers from the United States and all of the Caribbean make appearances. The festival is so prominent, that many local hotels and restaurants participate, making it a no-brainer for couples with an appetite.
- HAVE ANOTHER ROUND: While cocktails and champagne are lovely, when in St. Croix, do like the Crucians! Rum is the drink of choice on this festive island. Take a scenic drive through the west end tropical forest and visit the Domino Club, a local dive that boasts the “World Famous Beer Drinking Pigs.” Come for the sideshow attraction and stay for the good drinks and cool vibes. Liquor is delightfully affordable in St. Croix. Tourists can take up to six bottles home, as long as one is made in the Virgin Islands.
- WHOPPING SHOPPING: Pack light when traveling to Saint Croix, because you’ll want to take advantage of all the beautiful handmade items you’ll find at a bargain price. St. Croix offers plenty of opportunities for couples to shop and bring home keepsakes to remember their first getaway to the Caribbean as newlyweds. Shop in the historic towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted, where you can find everything from the popular St. Croix hook bracelet to homemade skin care products.
- TOUR THE ISLAND: Whether onboard a Cessna overlooking the Caribbean or sailing in a catamaran, get out and explore St. Croix! Wade through waters in a see-through kayak. Get a tour of the jungle by way of an open-air Jeep. Where else can you traverse such a diverse terrain of braches, tropical forests and mountains? These tours allow couples to gain a new perspective of the island.
Tips and Advice
- GETTING THERE: If you are a U.S. Citizen, you don’t need a passport. From New York, a connected flight is 6-8 hours. Connecting flights from Los Angeles are approximately 10 hours.
- GETTING AROUND: Saint Croix is 22.7 miles long and 8 miles at its widest point. While your means of transportation depends on the length of your stay, a car rental is ideal for couples that want to explore the charming towns of the island on their own. (Keep in mind that driving is on the left side of the road.) Although taxis are available at almost every corner the costs can add up quickly. However, taking a taxi or van can be a good way to get a local’s perspective of St. Croix. There is also public transportation. If you have time to spare, for just a buck you can hop on a local bus to tour the island. With over 120 islands to explore in the territory, you can island hop with island air travel or a ferry service. A day trip to St. Thomas is only 42 miles away!
- TIME ZONE: St. Croix is in the Atlantic Time Zone.
- AREA CODE: St. Croix’s local area code is 340.
- CLIMATE: With an average variation of 18 degrees, it’s summer year round on the tropical island of St. Croix! However, the hottest months are June, July and August. While St. Croix does not have a rainy season, the rainiest months are September to November, August and May.
- ELECTRICITY: Voltage is the same as in the USA - 120V/60Hz.
- LANGUAGE: English is the official language at this tourist-friendly vacation spot.
- CURRENCY: As part of the Virgin Islands, St. Croix is a U.S. territory. The U.S. dollar is the common currency.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- WHAT TO WEAR: While the island of Saint Croix is laid back with a beachy vibe, visitors should leave swimming attire for the ocean. When perusing inland at shops or dining at restaurants, be sure to wear a cover up or tee shirt. Due to the hot, humid weather year round, light cotton or linen clothing is your best option. Hats and sunscreen are a definite must.
- UNCHARTED TERRITORY: Put away your technology and explore the island with your significant other the old-fashioned way. Pick up a map from a car rental service or a tourist office and get started. Although main roads and sites are highlighted, some secondary roads may be uncharted. Feel free to ask locals for directions.
- STAY SAFE: Use common sense. Avoid wandering the streets of St. Croix alone at night. If renting a car, hide your possessions and lock the doors when you park. Don’t leave valuables on the beach while you go swimming.
- KEEP COOL: Many shops and restaurants in St. Croix are not air-conditioned. Be sure to carry water with you as you walk through the towns and explore the island.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
Chance of Rain82°/74°