In many ways the tiny Caribbean island of St. Martin perfectly represents your honeymoon - the marriage of two unique peoples enjoying tropical bliss in harmony. Just 87 square kilometers in size and located about 300 kilometers east of Puerto Rico, the island of St. Martin is split down the middle between The Netherlands (Sint Maarten) and France (Collectivité de Saint-Martin) and has been shared by the two nations since 1648. For you, a honeymoon on St. Martin is the best of all worlds with wonderful French food, a laid-back Dutch attitude and the luxurious comforts and natural treasures of a Caribbean paradise.
Stay in St. Martin the way you desire. Spend evenings in a private Creole cottage or an extravagant beachside villa; then fill your days with snorkeling crystal clear waters or relaxing with exotic tropical cocktails on one of 37 sun-drenched beaches. In between, you can explore the old world Dutch city of Philipsburg or head up to the French side's Marigot with its beautiful harbor and hillside ruins. Pristine island beaches are everywhere, beckoning you to wander together over lush soft sands or engage in more active pursuits such as parasailing, jet skiing or windsurfing.
There's so much packed into this incredibly gorgeous destination from world-class shopping at duty-free boutiques, to non-stop partying at numerous nightclubs and 12 casinos. Unfortunately, due to the devastation caused by Hurricane Irma, a number of businesses have closed permanently or are still working on renovating and opening back up. Make sure to double-check and call ahead to be sure your chosen activities are available.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of St. Martin / St. Maarten
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- AREA CODE: 758
- CAPITAL: Marigot
- CLIMATE: Average annual temperature: 75 degrees F.
- AREA: 33.6 sq. miles
- ELECTRICITY: Electricity is 220 volts, 50 cycles AC. U.S. appliances need an adapter.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- TRAVEL LIKE A LOCAL: Ride the bus if you want to get a better sense for the true local flavor.
- MARRIAGE RULES: The earliest you can get married is three days after your arrival on the island.
- TRAVEL WISE: Most roads are paved, but all are "corkscrew" curves that demand careful driving and some thought about the return when you choose a restaurant or club destination.
- ORIENT BAY: The soft sand and clear blue water of St. Martin beaches are even more beautiful at Orient Bay than most. This crescent-shaped beachfront on the French side is as good as it gets. You can grab snacks from local concession vendors while you soak up the sun.
- LOTERI FARM: This gorgeous tropical nature preserve is as perfect for adventure as it is for relaxation. The property has had to do a lot of since Hurricane Irma, but is determined to stay open regardless -- albeit with different services. You can rent delightful jungle cabanitas, zipline across the canopy, hike gorgeous trails, and more.
- SOAK UP THE VIEWS: Hike up to the summit of Pic du Paradis, or just drive most of the way up and do the last leg on foot, for incredible views of the island. The vantage point is so stunning, you can even see neighboring Caribbean island of Anguilla in the distance, across the bright blue water. Look out over the tiny buildings, harbors lined with ships, and bright tropical canopies for one of the most jaw-dropping island vistas anywhere.
- SNORKEL THE BLUE: Explore St. Martin's breathtakingly clear blue waters with snorkels or scuba gear, and let the sparkling undersea world enchant you as colorful coral, shimmering fishies, scampering crabs, big eels and stingrays, and adorable turtles pass by on all sides.