British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin Islands (BVI) offer an idyllic and secluded honeymoon destination, comprising pristine islands and clear blue waters. Renowned for their unspoiled beauty, the BVI present a tropical paradise with stunning beaches, lush landscapes, and numerous opportunities for sailing, snorkeling, and exploring hidden coves. Couples can enjoy intimate moments on tranquil beaches, visit the famous Baths on Virgin Gorda, and indulge in fresh seafood at beachside restaurants. The BVI’s relaxed and romantic atmosphere, combined with luxurious resorts, creates an unforgettable backdrop for a honeymoon filled with serenity, adventure, and lasting memories.
The 11 Best Honeymoon Resorts in British Virgin Islands
Anegada Beach Club
Tucked away in the British Virgin Islands, Anegada Beach Club has redefined the art of relaxation. Offering a unique blend of 9 remarkable Palapa Retreats, 16 comfortable hotel rooms, a freshwater pool, a charming restaurant/bar, a beach bar, and even a kitesurfing school, this beachfront haven is the ideal choice…
White Bay Villas & Beach Club
If you’re dreaming of a tropical paradise to celebrate your honeymoon, look no further than White Bay Villas & Beach Club in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). This intimate, beachfront haven is more than just a destination; it’s an invitation to unwind, create lasting memories, and bask in the serenity…
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort emerges as the ultimate honeymoon destination in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) for couples looking for an exquisite, personal vacation. This exquisite beachside retreat, nestled among the beauties of the Caribbean, is the pinnacle of peacefulness, with every detail chosen to offer an amazing romantic encounter. A…
Long Bay Beach Resort
Long Bay Beach Resort on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands attracts couples looking for an intimate and scenic vacation with its boutique appeal, pristine sands, and immaculate comfort. This beachside hideaway is more than a hotel; it’s a guarantee of wonderful moments in the heart of the Caribbean. Secluded…
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Established in 1964 by Laurance Rockefeller, the resort remains true to its founder’s vision of natural harmony while offering an escape from the ordinary. The resort’s accommodations are nestled within lush gardens and shaded footpaths that curve through verdant lawns just a stone’s throw from the beach. The resort features…
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina
Opening its doors in early 2010, Scrub Island is located one mile offshore from Beef Island on Tortola. As the newest private island Resort in the British Virgin Islands, Scrub Island offers its guests an adventure in luxury living at a resort like no other. The resort includes ocean view…
Saba Rock Resort
For honeymooners in search of an intimate, secluded retreat in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), Saba Rock Resort emerges as a hidden gem. This boutique resort on Virgin Gorda is the ideal choice for couples seeking a romantic escape that combines comfort, convenience, and a dash of island charm. A…
The Heritage Inn
Nestled in the heart of the British Virgin Islands, the Heritage Inn beckons to all seeking an escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. Whether you’re a visitor or a local resident, this charming inn provides the perfect getaway. Newly Renovated Rooms with a View: As you step into the…
Leverick Bay Resort
Leverick Bay Resort and Marina in Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, is an ideal honeymoon resort for couples seeking an enchanting blend of Caribbean calm and elegance. This beachside resort, nestled in the lap of “North Sound,” is a monument to natural beauty, peace, and the romantic attraction of the…
Wyndham Tortola BVI Lambert Beach Resort
Nestled on the pristine northeast shore of Tortola, the largest and most populous island in the British Virgin Islands, the newly refurbished Wyndham Tortola BVI Lambert Beach Resort promises to be the ultimate destination for honeymooners. After undergoing a complete refurbishment and an official reopening on November 1, 2019, this…
Maria’s by the Sea
When it comes to finding the perfect retreat in the heart of Road Town, the British Virgin Islands, look no further than Maria’s by the Sea. This delightful hotel is an ideal choice for honeymooners, offering a warm and inviting atmosphere, a host of amenities, and a central location that…
About British Virgin Islands
Average Cost of a One Week British Virgin Islands Honeymoon
Honeymooning in the British Virgin Islands can be a dream come true, but it’s important to plan your budget carefully. Here’s a general breakdown of the average costs for a one-week honeymoon:
- International flights: Prices can vary greatly depending on your departure location and the time of year. On average, expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $1,500 per person for a round-trip ticket.
- Luxury resorts: The British Virgin Islands offer upscale, intimate resorts with prices ranging from $400 to $1,500 per night. For a one-week stay, this can add up to $2,800 to $10,500.
- Dining: Dining costs vary, but you can expect to spend around $100 to $200 per day for meals, depending on your choices and whether breakfast is included in your resort package.
- Excursions and activities: Budget around $100 to $300 per person per day for activities like boat trips, water sports, and island-hopping.
- Local transportation: Taxis and ferry rides between islands can cost around $50 to $100 per day.
- Miscellaneous: Plan for around $50 per day for incidentals, souvenirs, and any unforeseen expenses.
Average Total Cost
In total, a one-week honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 or more, depending on your preferences and the level of luxury you seek. Keep in mind that these are average costs, and prices can vary significantly based on factors like the time of year, specific accommodations, and your personal spending habits. It’s essential to create a detailed budget and research the current prices for your chosen dates to get a more accurate estimate.
Best Time to Visit British Virgin Islands
The best time to visit the British Virgin Islands for a honeymoon is during the dry season, which typically runs from November to mid-December and from mid-January to mid-April. This period offers ideal weather conditions with lots of sunshine and less chance of rain.
Here’s a breakdown of the British Virgin Islands seasons:
- Dry Season (November – mid-December, mid-January – mid-April):
- Weather: Clear skies, low humidity, and comfortable temperatures.
- Activities: Perfect for outdoor adventures, water sports, and exploring the islands.
- Crowds: This is the peak tourist season, so expect more visitors and higher prices.
- Hurricane Season (June – November):
- Weather: Increased chance of rain and the possibility of hurricanes in August and September.
- Activities: While some businesses and activities may have reduced hours, the weather is generally pleasant.
- Crowds: Fewer tourists during the early part of the season.
- Shoulder Season (mid-December – mid-January, May):
- Weather: Transition period with some rainfall but still enjoyable.
- Activities: Most activities and businesses are open, and you can enjoy water sports.
- Crowds: Fewer tourists than during the peak season.
For a honeymoon with the best weather, consider planning your trip during the dry season. However, if you prefer to avoid crowds and can be flexible with your plans, the shoulder season may offer a more tranquil experience with relatively good weather. Be aware that prices and availability can vary during these different periods, so be sure to book accommodations and activities well in advance.
About Honeymooning in British Virgin Islands
Honeymooning in the British Virgin Islands offers a unique blend of Caribbean culture, stunning natural beauty, and a rich culinary scene. Here’s what you need to know about the culture, currency, and cuisine in the British Virgin Islands:
- British Overseas Territory: The British Virgin Islands are a British Overseas Territory, and English is the official language. The local culture is influenced by British traditions and Caribbean heritage.
- Friendly Locals: BVI residents are known for their warm and welcoming hospitality. Expect friendly interactions with locals during your stay.
- Music and Festivals: Music plays a significant role in BVI culture, with calypso, reggae, and soca being popular genres. The islands host various festivals and events, like the BVI Music Fest and the Emancipation Festival, which showcase local music, dance, and traditions.
- Currency: The official currency is the United States Dollar (USD). You’ll find ATMs on the major islands and most businesses accept credit cards.
- Tipping: Tipping is customary, and it’s recommended to tip around 15-20% at restaurants. Some places may include a service charge in the bill, so check before adding an additional tip.
- Local Delicacies: BVI cuisine is a delectable mix of Caribbean flavors, fresh seafood, and international influences. Don’t miss the opportunity to savor local dishes like roti, conch fritters, and “fungi and fish.”
- Seafood: The islands offer an abundance of seafood, including fresh fish, lobster, and conch. Seafood lovers will delight in the variety of dishes.
- Rum: The British Virgin Islands are renowned for their rum. Try the locally produced rums like Pusser’s Rum and indulge in tropical cocktails and punch.
- Dining Experiences: You can enjoy dining at beachfront shacks, fine dining restaurants, and everything in between. Many restaurants offer stunning ocean views, enhancing the romantic experience.
- Local Markets: Explore local markets to discover fresh produce, spices, and homemade preserves. It’s a great way to experience local flavors.
Remember that dining in the British Virgin Islands can be a bit expensive due to the need to import many goods. However, the quality of food and the dining experience make it well worth it for a special occasion like your honeymoon. Embrace the unique blend of British, Caribbean, and international influences as you explore the culture, savor delicious cuisine, and create unforgettable memories in this tropical paradise.
Best Activities for a British Virgin Islands Honeymoon
A honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands offers a range of romantic and adventurous activities. Here are some of the best activities to consider:
- Island Hopping: Explore the diverse BVI islands, each with its unique charm. Visit Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Anegada, and more. Don’t miss The Baths on Virgin Gorda, known for its stunning rock formations.
- Beach Bliss: Spend your days lounging on some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. White Bay on Jost Van Dyke, Smuggler’s Cove on Tortola, and Loblolly Bay on Anegada are must-visit destinations.
- Sailing: BVI is renowned for its sailing opportunities. Charter a sailboat, catamaran, or yacht for a day of sailing and snorkeling, and enjoy the crystal-clear waters.
- Snorkeling and Diving: Explore vibrant coral reefs, shipwrecks, and marine life in the warm Caribbean waters. Dive sites like the Wreck of the Rhone are famous for their underwater beauty.
- Hiking: Embark on scenic hikes with your partner. The Sage Mountain National Park on Tortola offers picturesque trails, while the Copper Mine National Park on Virgin Gorda provides historical and natural wonders.
- Couples’ Spa Retreats: Pamper yourselves with rejuvenating spa treatments. Many resorts and spas offer couples’ packages in serene, natural settings.
- Romantic Sunset Cruises: Enjoy a romantic evening on a sunset cruise with your loved one. Watch the sun dip below the horizon as you sail along the coast.
- Watersports: Try watersports like paddleboarding, kayaking, and windsurfing. Many resorts offer complimentary equipment.
- Beach Picnics: Arrange a beach picnic with your resort or charter service. Savor a private meal on a secluded beach with breathtaking views.
- Private Dining: Savor intimate dinners on the beach, often with a personalized menu, to make your evenings special.
- Day Trips: Take day trips to nearby islands, such as St. Kitts and Nevis or the U.S. Virgin Islands, for a change of scenery and culture.
- Stargazing: The BVI’s clear night skies are perfect for stargazing. Enjoy a romantic evening under the stars.
- Local Culture: Explore local culture and traditions by attending festivals, like the August Emancipation Festival, or visiting local markets.
- Unplug and Relax: Don’t forget to simply relax and soak in the island’s tranquil ambiance. Bask in the tropical paradise with your loved one.
Whether you’re seeking adventure or relaxation, the British Virgin Islands provide a stunning backdrop for a memorable honeymoon. The variety of activities and the natural beauty of the islands make it an ideal destination for couples looking to create lasting memories.
Weather in British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin Islands enjoy a tropical climate with warm temperatures year-round. Here’s an overview of the weather throughout the year:
- Dry Season (December to April): This is the peak tourist season when the weather is most pleasant. You can expect temperatures between 75°F (24°C) and 85°F (29°C). Rainfall is minimal, and there’s plenty of sunshine.
- Wet Season (May to November): This period experiences higher humidity and more rainfall. While the rain is frequent, it usually comes in short, heavy bursts. Temperatures range from 80°F (27°C) to 90°F (32°C). Hurricane season falls within this period, with the highest risk from August to October.
- Hurricane Season: The British Virgin Islands are vulnerable to hurricanes, primarily from August to October. It’s important to monitor weather updates during this time and consider travel insurance that covers cancellations due to hurricanes.
- Trade Winds: The islands are cooled by the trade winds, which make the climate comfortable even during the warmer months.
To make the most of your honeymoon, consider visiting during the dry season when the weather is more predictable and outdoor activities are at their best. However, if you plan your trip during the wet season, you can still enjoy your stay with careful planning and flexibility around rain showers.
Is British Virgin Islands Safe for a Honeymoon?
The British Virgin Islands are generally considered safe for a honeymoon. It’s a popular destination for tourists, including honeymooners, and it has a reputation for being one of the safer Caribbean destinations. However, like any travel location, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and take common-sense precautions. Here are some safety tips for your honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands:
- Health and Safety: Make sure you have adequate travel insurance that covers medical emergencies. The BVI offers good healthcare facilities, but it’s always best to be prepared.
- Weather Alerts: Be aware of hurricane season, which typically runs from June to November. Monitor weather updates and consider travel insurance that covers cancellations due to hurricanes.
- Sun Protection: The Caribbean sun can be intense. Use sunscreen, stay hydrated, and take precautions to avoid sunburn.
- Water Safety: When enjoying water activities, follow safety guidelines, wear life vests when necessary, and be cautious of strong currents.
- Island-Specific Tips: Be informed about any specific safety concerns or issues related to the islands you plan to visit.
- General Travel Precautions: Just like when traveling anywhere else, be cautious with your belongings, avoid displaying valuable items, and use hotel safes for important documents and items.
The British Virgin Islands are known for their friendly and welcoming atmosphere. By staying informed and taking basic safety measures, you can have a wonderful and safe honeymoon experience.
Most Romantic Spots in British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin Islands offer a range of romantic locations for a honeymoon. Here are some of the most romantic spots to consider:
- White Bay, Jost Van Dyke: This beautiful beach offers powdery white sand, crystal-clear waters, and beachfront bars, making it a fantastic place to relax, swim, and enjoy a romantic beach day.
- The Baths, Virgin Gorda: The unique granite boulders create hidden grottoes and pools to explore, providing a sense of adventure and seclusion for couples.
- Anegada: Known for its secluded beaches and unique salt ponds, Anegada offers a quiet, rustic escape perfect for couples who want a more remote and peaceful experience.
- Sunset Cruises: A sunset cruise through the islands is a classic romantic experience. Many boat tours offer dinner and drinks while you watch the sun set over the Caribbean Sea.
- Gorda Peak National Park, Virgin Gorda: If you and your partner enjoy hiking, take a romantic hike to the top of Gorda Peak and enjoy panoramic views of the islands.
- Private Villa Rentals: Consider renting a private villa or cottage with stunning ocean views. Many of these accommodations come with amenities like private pools, chef services, and total privacy.
- Scuba Diving: For adventurous couples, exploring the underwater world of the British Virgin Islands can be a unique and exciting experience.
- Fine Dining: Enjoy romantic dinners at upscale restaurants with ocean views, where you can savor fresh seafood and local cuisine.
- Savannah Bay, Virgin Gorda: This peaceful beach is perfect for a romantic stroll along the shoreline or for lounging on the soft, sandy shores.
- Spa Days: Many resorts and hotels in the BVI offer couples’ spa treatments to relax and unwind together.
The British Virgin Islands offer a perfect blend of relaxation, natural beauty, and adventurous activities for couples to enjoy on their honeymoon.