“Jamaica has a way of nestling into your mind, heart and soul.” Every day is a day of discoveries to share and unabashed fun in the sun. Simultaneously sophisticated and simple, it is the largest English speaking island in the Caribbean and offers more exciting honeymoon experiences to share than you can fit into one trip. Most couples leave planning their anniversary trip for next year.
Go in any direction from lively, beach lined Negril on the West and tranquil, laid back Port Antonio on the East to bustling Montego Bay and chic Ocho Rios in the North and you’ll find yourselves surrounded by the kind of opulent tropical beauty that travel brochures promise but seldom deliver. It is one of the few islands to be dotted with palm shaded mountains. Just about anywhere, you can stop to enjoy the lush landscape and savor a cup of the delicious rich coffee that is grown on their slopes.
Some of the Caribbean’s very best resorts sprawl out along the sparkling white beaches. After all, this is where today’s popular all inclusive resorts were born, so it’s no surprise that some of the world’s finest all-inclusives can be found right here.
Water sports abound, everything from deep sea fishing to river rafting, and the island also has a handful of internationally known championship golf courses. There’s enough to keep you starstruck all day long. Just make sure to leave time to relax and let the warm Jamaican sun bathe the two of you in honeymoon happiness.
- MYSTIC MOUNTAIN at Ocho Rios is Jamaica’s newest tourist attraction. Here, you can speed through the rain forest on a high tec bob sled ride; or you can opt for a trip above the treetops on a state-of-the-art chairlift. From the top of both, you can choose to soar above the trees on a zip line!!! This is a thrilling day you’ll never forget. *Share a cool RED STRIPE, the local beer and linger over a cup of rich BLUE MOUNTAIN COFFEE.
- Jamaica’s RIVER RAFTING TRIPS are famous. You ride on a bamboo raft poled along by a friendly raftsman. Buy a picnic and drinks before you board and just lie back and share the thrill of discovery as you steal a kiss and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Jamaican CUISINE reflects the rich island culture. Try local treats like ackee (salted codfish), spicy curried lamb, meat patties, pepperpot soup and other delicacies. They can be found everywhere from restaurants to roadside stands.
- Dance till dawn to lively Jamaican REGGAE RHYTHMS.
- Make a big splash at DUNN’S RIVER FALLS in Ocho Rios. You can climb the rushing falls and swim in secluded jungle pools. You’ll feel like Robinson Crusoe!
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODE: 876
- WEATHER: The average annual temperature is 80 degrees F
- ELECTRICITY: The electric current is 110 volts, 50 cycles. US appliances need adaptors. Get one before leave home or ask at the hotel.
- GETTING THERE: Jamaica is an easy flight from most major US airports. The approximate flight times for Jamaica are: -New York: 3.5 hours -Boston: 4 hours -Philadelphia: 3.5 hours -Miami: 1.5 hours -Atlanta: 3 hours -Baltimore: 3 hours -Los Angeles: 5.6 hours -Chicago: 3 hours -Houston: 3.5 hours -Denver: 5 hours
- WHEN TO GO: Jamaica is best after the hurricane season ends, from October to around the middle of December. Weather is cooler and crowds are quieter, meaning better deals at hotels and less heat to beat.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- Jamaica is one of the top wedding destinations in the Caribbean. Visitors can be married just 24 hours after arriving providing that prior application for a marriage license has been made. Contact [email protected], call the Ministry of National Security & Justice at 876 906 4923, or contact the nearest Jamaica Tourist Board office.
- SAFETY: Gorgeous and wonderful as it is, Jamaica is a poor country and general precautions should be taken. Keep valuables secure and ask your hotel concierge about safety before venturing out at night.
- Use taxis whenever possible.
- A 10% service charge is usually added to restaurant bills. Ask, and if not, tip 10-20%.
- Take taxis with red PPV plates and settle on the fare BEFORE you get in.
Save on a summer wedding at Marco Beach Ocean Resort on Florida's Paradise Coast with this 2015 wedding special. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm89°/80°
Chance of a Thunderstorm89°/78°