The largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands is a peaceful oasis where life worries seem to just drift away. Between its idyllic beaches, lush rainforests, and charming secret spots, St. Croix is quite simply romance brought to life. Dig a bit beneath the surface, though, and you’ll find a rich history with lasting remnants of the 18th century just waiting to be discovered.
While it’s the largest island, St. Croix’s charming size – just 22 miles long and 8 miles wide – is used to its advantage. It’s a singular slice of paradise where time seems to move at its own pace. Whether you want to glimpse sea turtles on a Buck Island reef snorkeling expedition or hop on an ATV for an adrenaline-pumping adventure, your St. Croix honeymoon can be whatever you want it to be.
Couples would be remiss if they didn’t explore the old towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted; charming hideaways where foodies can savor Caribbean cuisine, shop at duty-free boutiques, or simply revel in the vibe of island life. And rum aficionados won’t want to pass up the opportunity to taste both Captain Morgan and Cruzan at the source. But enjoying a rum punch out on Rainbow Beach is an experience in itself!
From fully-customized luxury to intimate hideaways, the honeymoon options in the US Virgin Islands are nearly limitless. Your every desire will be satisfied long before you even thought about it, and the locals are beyond generous with their desire to share their culture. Even if your St. Croix honeymoon is your first trip to the sensational island, you’ll be planning future trips for years to come.
The 6 Best Honeymoon Resorts in St Croix
The Buccaneer Hotel
Founded in the 17th century and family-run for generations, The Buccaneer blends old-world charms with warm hospitality, and the amenities expected by today’s traveler. The Buccaneer is a luxury oceanfront resort located on St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands. Completely self-contained, The Buccaneer offers a challenging 18 hole…
The Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort
A luxury resort with sensational ocean views, first-rate amenities, and renowned dining options, The Buccaneer Beach & Golf Resort is a peerless representation of St. Croix luxury. The rich history of The Buccaneer dates back to 1653 when Charles Martel, a Knight of Malta, first utilized the site as an…
Sand Castle on the Beach
This intimate beachfront boutique is a quite lovely resort that’s perfect for beachy brides and grooms. It’s an adult-only and welcoming to gay travelers. The location is on a beautiful slice of paradise with tranquil, clear water. Here you can just chill, but they have great water sports for active honeymooners that…
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove, nestled on 8 acres of pristine coconut palms and a picturesque white sand beach, beckons honeymooners to discover a hidden gem just 3 miles west of Christiansted in the US Virgin Islands. This intimate oceanfront resort offers an idyllic blend of natural beauty, serenity, and…
Carambola Beach Resort St. Croix
For honeymooners seeking a romantic haven on the enchanting island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands, Carambola Beach Resort is a hidden gem that promises an unforgettable escape. This upscale resort, nestled adjacent to a pristine golf course, offers the perfect blend of relaxation, adventure, and Caribbean charm.…
Bungalows on the Bay
For honeymooners yearning for a romantic escape amidst the beauty of the US Virgin Islands, Bungalows on the Bay at Chenay Bay Beach Resort offers an intimate and secluded paradise that celebrates privacy, stunning views, and Caribbean charm. Nestled on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean Sea and just 3 miles…
About St Croix
Most Romantic Spot in St. Croix
Rainbow Beach is often regarded as one of the most beautiful on earth, and with its stunning blue waters and white sands, you’ll undoubtedly agree. The beloved spot is often graced by dazzling rainbows, and the sheer beauty of the natural gem leaves nothing to the imagination. While you’re there, be sure to grab a bite at Rhythms at Rainbow Beach. The casual beach bar is perfect for enjoying a picturesque sunset with a frozen cocktail in hand.
Things to Do in St. Croix
- Perfect Day at Chenay Bay – St. Croix is home to great snorkeling, paddleboarding, and kayaking adventures, and this aptly-titled package in Chenay Bay is where you can observe everything from huge schools of sparkling tropical fish to officially endangered species.
- Live Music Sunset Sail – An unforgettable experience for honeymooners, this sunset sail from Frederiksted pier takes couples out to St. Croix’s pristine waters on a 63-foot custom catamaran.
- Horseback Riding Experience – This small-group equestrian tour provides the laid-back intimacy that couples will revel in on their honeymoon.
- A quick boat ride over to Buck Island is a fantastic honeymoon day trip. The 176-acre island is uninhabited and protected by the National Park Service, making the reefs around the beach an unbelievable snorkeling experience.
- The bioluminescent bays of Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Altona Lagoon are absolutely breathtaking during a sunset kayak trip.
- Pack light when traveling to Saint Croix, because you’ll want to take advantage of all the beautiful handmade items you’ll find at a bargain price. Shop in the historic towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted, where you can find everything from the popular St. Croix hook bracelet to homemade skin care products.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the 17-acre St. George Village Botanical Garden and keep an eye out for the many tropical birds that inhabit it.
- History buffs won’t want to miss some of the great historic sites like Fort Christianvaern and the Apothecary Hall Museum.
St. Croix Restaurants & Local Cuisine
Before we hop into the island’s best restaurants, know that you can’t visit St. Croix without tasting the sweet nectar of their succulent mangos! In the summer months, you’ll find the staple fruit everywhere, including at local fruit stands and food festivals. As for local cuisine, fish, goat, and pork are incorporated into many of their tastiest dishes. The melting pot of cultures comes to life in their food, where influences from Puerto Rico, Europe, and Africa blend into unique culinary masterpieces.
- Well known for having two unique ambiances, Savant puts the fine in fine dining. Couples can choose to sit in the Old-World-styled courtyard or the inviting New York-style dining room, though the Stuffed Filet Mignon and New Zealand Rack of Lamb taste delicious in both!
- Galangal proudly serves up perhaps the best Southeast Asian and French cuisine on the island. The fine dining mainstay has been around since 2008 and continues to enthrall diners with specialty dishes and an extensive wine list.
- Fresh ingredients and stellar waterfront dining have led couples to Duggan’s Reef since 1983. The restaurant relies on local fishermen and farmers, and the result is a menu bursting with fresh choices.
- Open-air dining and unimpeded ocean views are the hallmarks of AMA at Cane Bay. Sustainable seafood dishes are paired with a fantastic selection of fine wines and craft cocktails fir a dinner you won’t soon forget.
- The biggest food celebration the island hosts is the St. Croix Food and Wine Experience. Each April, this weeklong festival takes over the island. The food is served in heaping portions and the wine is overflowing. Celebrity chefs, cooking show personalities, and top winemakers from the United States and all of the Caribbean make appearances.
- While cocktails and champagne are lovely, when in St. Croix, do like the Crucians! Rum is the drink of choice on this festive island, and both Captain Morgan Rum Distillery and Cruzan Rum Distillery offer tours and tastings.
Traveling to St. Croix
Flights to St. Croix
Honeymooners traveling to St. Croix will use Henry E. Rohlsen Airport, which features direct flights from American Airlines, Delta, and Spirit. Direct flights include New Uork, Boston, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Atlanta. Another option is to fly into Cyril E. King International Airport on St. Thomas and enjoy the famous island-hopping experience among the U.S. Virgin Islands!
St. Croix Weather
Expect beautiful Caribbean weather year-round as St. Croix’s average winter temperature is 77 degrees and 82 during the summer. Travelers are often surprised at how strong the sun can be on tropical islands, so be sure to plan accordingly with sunscreen, cotton clothes, and plenty of shade. Regardless of the season, you’ll be able to lounge on the beach, go for a warm swim, and simply enjoy all that the island has to offer.
How do I get around St. Croix?
U.S. citizens with a driver’s license are able to rent cars and drive on the island, but just be prepared for a left-side driving experience. Many resorts offer shuttles to the island’s best locations, and considering its size, renting a car is not necessarily essential.
When is the best time to visit St. Croix?
Unlike many other Caribbean destinations, the US Virgin Islands don’t have a rainy season, so it’s always the right time for a St. Croix honeymoon! The mild winters mean that tourism is most active during the winter months, thus the summer months are when you’ll typically find the best deals and resort packages.