So many couples automatically choose to fly “first class” on their honeymoon or for that special romantic occasion; no matter the destination or cost. Why? Because going first class seems like it is a natural “Newlywed” choice. Most would typically never dream of paying this much for an airline ticket, but hey it is your honeymoon, this is the time to splurge. With the concept of first class changing so drastically with domestic airlines, we want you to consider a few things before splurging on a first class ticket (think of all the perks you can enjoy ON your honeymoon with the savings).
When you are flying international you need to know what airlines offer with each class ticket. Flying first class international can be astronomically expensive and in some cases with the great airlines, not necessary to receive great service.
Things you should consider BEFORE booking first class:
- How long is your flight? If your flight is only 2 hours, you may want to consider saving the cost of this first class ticket and putting it towards an experience on the trip that you will enjoy more (i.e an excursion or special day trip with a guide). Also, on shorter flights you will notice some airlines offer very little 'extra' service in the First Class / Business Class area.
- What airline are you flying? This makes a HUGE difference. You need to do your homework here: check the airlines first class reviews. Find out what kind of lounge the airline offers and be sure to make sure you are able to get into the lounge pre and post flight. Does the lounge offer complimentary alcohol or food and what time does the club open.
- What kind of plane are you flying on? This is so important! If you are flying on an older plane, the first class “services” may be few and far between - the service many not be any different than coach! First class on older planes may have bigger seats, but the first class "experience" is not always equal on every airline and varies with every style plane! In some cases I’ve experienced plastic glasses, no meal or only a boxed cold lunch, very little bar service, no champagne, single row seating and you may end up not together (what a lousy way to start off your honeymoon)!
- International Flights: Flying on most international carries First Class or Business Class to Europe, Asia and many other exotic & far-off destinations is sometimes a better experience then some of the hotels you will stay in (quite the high-end experience).
- For example some carriers offer: Full reclining seats that turn into beds. A variety of movies and TV programs to view on your own personal, sometimes handheld and portable, TVs. Amazing ServiceRobes. Three-course DELICIOUS meals. Top notch champagne & beverages. Warm cookies & freshly baked breads and pastries. Slippers & socks. Personal toiletries and sometimes much much more!
- Again, do your homework BEFORE spending the extra money to fly First-Class. Some international carriers include complementary wine & beer to ALL travelers and most, if not all, offer several in flight meals (depending on the length).