South Carolina Destinations
South Carolina Overview
The old south beckons you to slow down and explore romance the antebellum way—amid the quiet whispers of palmetto trees and the breezy charm of South Carolina. Your honeymoon in South Carolina places you in easy grasp of 60 miles of excellent beaches, more than 330 top caliber golf courses, and within the grace and warmth of Charleston’s friendly atmosphere.
To be in South Carolina is to step out and shop in quaint small towns, sample wonderfully comforting cuisine from seafood to barbecue or take a more active approach with swimming, hiking and camping in one of the many state parks. In the heart of the United States’ Deep South, South Carolina is bordered by Georgia to the south, North Carolina to the north and the Atlantic Ocean on the east. Its vibrant and influential history in America began as part of the Province of Carolina, then as one of the original 13 colonies, and all the way through the Civil War until today.
The local people are proud of their beautiful land with its hot summers and balmy winters. There’s so much to explore on your romantic escape: the majestic Table Rock at the foothill of the Blue Ridge Mountains, breathtaking coastline with world-famous destinations like Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach, quiet streets lined with extraordinary mansions and, of course, some of the nation’s best restaurants and resorts.
- MYRTLE BEACH AND THE GRAND STRAND. 12 million visitors a year can’t be wrong in making Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand the most popular beach destination on the United States’ east coast. Beautiful and exceptionally fun, the 10 miles of brown-sugar colored sand is your starting point to enjoy amusement and theme parks as well as great on the water action from jet skiing to deep sea fishing.
- GETAWAY TO HILTON HEAD ISLAND, Hilton Head. The 12 miles of white-sand beaches is a favorite destination for sun-lovers. With fabulous resorts, world-class golf, fine dining and tons of activities and events, it’s no surprise that Hilton Head has been called among the most beautiful beaches in the worldwith its gorgeous natural environment of dunes and indigenous palmetto trees.
- CYPRESS GARDENS, Moncks Corner. Once a swamp, Cypress Gardens was transformed into a brilliantly stunning garden filled with magical colors, delicate fragrances and wonderful sounds to delight your senses. Takea gentle journey for an incredible and memorable honeymoon experiencestrolling through the grounds to encounter dazzling flowers like pink and red azaleas, a butterfly house, aquarium, alligator pit and even a flat-bottomed boat ride. Learn more at www.cypressgardens.info.
- CHARLESTON HISTORIC DISTRICT, Charleston. Pastel stucco row houses line the waterfront; while farther up antebellum mansions sit proudly on Battery Promenade. Wending your way through Charleston’s Historic District washes you with such a strong sense of history and southern grace; you may even feel a slight saunter enter your gait as you unconsciously take on a debonair aristocratic air. This city has weathered two American wars, fickle Atlantic climate and the passing of many years, yet all its beauty, stature and significance hasn’t even begun to fade. If you prefer not to walk (although it’s by far the most intimate way to see the district), bus tours and horse-and-carriage rides are also available. However you choose, this is a magnificent and essential outing on your South Carolina honeymoon.
- RENT A BIKE, All regions. In many ways South Carolina was meant to be seen on a bike. The flat terrain provides excellent, relatively challenge-free biking, and even the beaches with their compacted sands make biking easier than other locations. You’ll also find bike rentals are readily available at many resort towns and tourist destinations, as are numerous paved trails. So get out and see the state on two wheels!
- VISIT THE LAKES, All regions. You may not be aware that South Carolina is home to a huge amount of river-fed lakes, amounting to 450 miles of shoreline. Along the edge of many are marinas where you can rent a boat or hire one to take you out for some fun in the sun. In addition to boating, many of the lakes are excellent for fishing and camping.
- RIDE THE RAPIDS, Chattooga River. Near the Georgian border runs the Chattooga River and some truly wild white-water rafting. Several tours offer white-water trips, including canoeing, with packages that supply everything you need. Meals and lodging are also available if you choose to take a lengthier trip.
- DAUFUSKIE ISLAND, Lowcountry. Halfway between Hilton Head in South Carolina and Savannah in Georgia lies Daufuskie Island. A 45-minute ferry carries you through gorgeous regional beauty and extraordinarily memorable scenery. Once there, you can spend just a day or stay overnight, and take a guided tour or see it all yourself by horseback, golf cart or on foot.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODES: There are three area codes in South Carolina—803 for Columbia, 843 for Charleston and the South Carolina coast, and 864 for Greenville, Anderson, Spartanburg and the Upstate area.
- CURRENCY: The United States dollar. You should have no problems finding ATMs all around the state at banks and most stores and markets.
- LANGUAGE: English.
- GETTING AROUND: Renting a car in South Carolina can be a great idea especially if you plan to see more of the state. Expect traffic around the touristy areaslike Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. The major towns and cities generally have transportation such as buses, taxis and limos. Locally, you may want to rent bikes to see the wonderful countryside up close.
- WHEN TO GO: Spring, summer and autumn are perfect times to enjoy the beautiful scenery of South Carolina when the weather is at its finest.
- ELECTRICITY: All of the United States and Canada use the 110-volt system. Finding converters can be difficult in the U.S., so if you need one, bring it with you.
- TIME ZONE: South Carolina falls under Eastern Standard Time, and it observes daylight saving time beginning on the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
WEBSITE We've partnered with WedPics, a free app that gives you a place to get all your wedding photos in one place without digging through social media profiles after the wedding! Organize, download and even order prints right from the app, and don't spend even one minute scouring the web for friend's photos and videos. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm91°/70°