The grandeur of the Canadian Rockies, the glamour of Paris, the jaw-dropping beauty of Tahiti…sensational destinations exist all around the world. While those locations can make for a wonderful getaway, they aren’t solely dedicated to romance. That takes a special place – welcome to your Poconos honeymoon!
Pulling together the best activities on land and water such as golfing, sailing and horseback riding with gourmet dining, the finest resorts and luxury accommodations that fit any budget, the Pocono Mountains have it all with an added bonus: you can easily find a honeymoon package where everything’s included!
The Pocono Mountains are located in the northeastern region of the state of Pennsylvania. At about an hour and a half drive from New York City, the region is part of the Allegheny Plateau, much like the neighboring Catskills, and has long been the state’s premier vacation destination. The scenery is quite beautiful and though the mountains may not be the highest, they’re perfect for skiing, sledding, hiking, camping, swimming and numerous outdoor adventures throughout the seasons. In fact, one of the Pocono Mountain’s best features is the exquisite kaleidoscopic colors of the leaves changing in autumn.
In the past, a Poconos honeymoon may have had a reputation for being less than sophisticated. But all that has shifted in recent years as the area has made a contemporary move from chintzy to chic. If you want a wild experience in a giant champagne glass whirlpool bath for two, that option is certainly available. However, you’ll also find picturesque resorts, excellent cuisine and activities to rival the finest of pampering anywhere.
Due to its close proximity to major metro areas, a Poconos honeymoon is ideal for any length of time from a quick weekend to a full two weeks. Ignite that romantic spark by celebrating each other with beautiful scenery, casinos, kayaking, white water rafting and more in a destination that’s as committed to your love as you are.
- VISIT THE NIAGARA FALLS OF PENNSYLVANIA. Eight spectacular waterfalls await you at Bushkill Falls. Hiking on the miles of nature trails just touches on the fun to be had here. Check out Native American and wildlife exhibits, play miniature golf, take a romantic paddleboat ride, fish and even indulge your sweet tooth in a fudge kitchen. The falls are open at 9 AM seven days a week from April through November, weather permitting. For more information, visit www.visitbushkillfalls.com.
- ENJOY THE VINO. It may surprise you that numerous wineries and microbreweries are located throughout the Poconos. So wherever you end up staying, chances are good that you're just an easy drive from one. Many are family-owned and open for tastings, like the Mountain View Vineyard in the town of Stroudsburg. In addition to all the wine to sample and buy, you'll also find handcrafted jewelry, gift baskets and other collectibles. Learn more at www.mountainviewvineyard.com.
- JUST RELAX AT A SPA. While you are both wrapped up in an intimate celebration of your honeymoon, you can indulge in an even higher level of "you time" at the many of fantastic spas in the area. Several spas are full resorts while many more can be enjoyed for a one day mini-getaway. The Spa at Mount Airy, Skyview Spa at Skytop Lodge and Laurel Spa at Pocono Manor Resort are a few excellent locations to melt away any tension that may still exist from your pre-honeymoon life.
- SLIDE DOWNHILL ON A TUBE. That's right—a tube. If skis or snowboards are not your style, then you'll be happy to know that snow tubing is an easy way to enjoy fun on the slopes. Offered at locations such as the Jack Frost Big Boulder Pocono Resort in the village of Harmony and Blue Mountain in Palmerton, tubing can be enjoyed by yourself or together for a snowy adventure you won't soon forget.
- TAN ON THE SAND, Beltsville State Park. From late May to mid-September, the beautiful beach at Beltsville State Park is ideal for relaxing in the sun. You'll also find the park a terrific spot for boating, taking a nature walk or picnicking in the pristine woods that surround the lake.
- DON'T SAY NEIGH TO ROMANCE. What could be more romantic than a peaceful carriage ride through the lovely Pocono Mountain countryside? This is a truly wonderful touch that can make your honeymoon extraordinary. Sugar Mountain Carriages provides horse-drawn carriage rides throughout the year and open sleigh rides in winter. Horseback riding is available as well.
- PROFESS YOUR LOVE TO THE HEAVENS. At one point or another, everyone has claimed the limitless nature of their love to their significant other. Well, thanks to Sky's The Limit, here's your chance to prove it with a skydive jump! Based in East Stroudsburg, this one-of-a-kind activity takes you so high above the Pocono Mountains you can actually see the Manhattan skyline. After a minute of free fall, you'll enjoy a five minute trip that puts the Poconos in a breathtaking new perspective.
- TRY YOUR LUCK AT THE CASINO. A slow dance in a jazz club or a gentle kiss under a starlit sky can make your heart beat a little faster, but nothing gets the adrenaline pumping like winning big. At the Mount Airy Casino, you'll find over 2,200 slot machines and an immense, nearly 70,000 square foot gaming floor with all the classics like Blackjack, Craps, Roulette and Poker. Plus, you can play and wager as much as you want from penny machines to high-stakes tables.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODES: 570
- CURRENCY: The United States dollar
- LANGUAGE: English
- GETTING AROUND: The Poconos is a large area split into a Mountain Region, Lake Region, Delaware River Region, Upper Delaware River Region, and Lehigh River Gorge Region. Though no public transportation is available per se, buses and taxis are available within certain towns. The best way to get around is by car, which allows you to travel on one of the interstates that easily connect the major attractions and locations. As with the rest of the USA, you drive on the right!
- WHEN TO GO: The Poconos is an ideal place to visit at any time of the year. In typical northeastern United States fashion, the weather is cold in the winter and warm in the summer just as you'd expect, but with so many outdoor things to do at any given time, there really is no "wrong" time to go.
- ELECTRICITY: All of the United States uses the 120 volt electrical system.
- TIME ZONE: Like New York City, the Pocono Mountains are in the Eastern Time Zone.
Ring in the new year in style with a glamorous party at Hilton Naples. MORE