North Carolina Overview
There are some destinations where the name alone is enough to conjure up very specific and wonderful images. North Carolina is one such place. This region rich in history, both Native American and colonial American, is a state of incredible diversity from cities like Charlotte and Raleigh to rolling farmlands and a huge coastline that includes the sensational beaches of the Outer Banks as well as memorable offshore islands. Yet in between are the Appalachian Mountains, award-winning golf courses, excellent local dining and,of course, the famous hospitality of the Carolinian people. A honeymoon in North Carolina is an ideal celebration of your union together within a land rich in possibilities.
Located in the southeastern United States, North Carolina is bordered by South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia. For lovers of the outdoors, it’s a fantastic location to be at sea level today and at the top of Mt. Mitchell, the East Coast’s highest peak, tomorrow, all while enjoying the warmth of the state’s subtropical climate.
Fast times in bustling and ever-growing cities, relaxing on beautiful Atlantic beaches, hiking majestic mountains—a honeymoon in North Carolina has appeal for everyone, whether you want to feed your adventurous side or drift away in gorgeous serenity.
How you spend your time during your honeymoon in North Carolina largely depends on the region you choose to stay in, so it’s a wise idea to know before you go. North Carolina is much wider east to west than it is north to south. On the Atlantic side, water fun is the nature of the game with marvelous white sand beaches with numerous opportunities to be with people or enjoy the company of one another in relative solitude. The Outer Banks have many delightful towns like Kitty Hawk and Duck where you’ll have no problem fishing, boating, water-skiing or finding incredible action among the dunes. Head on over to the western part of the state and you’re presented with hiking, camping, hunting, biking, skiing and white-water rafting in the natural beauty of mountains and reserves such as the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. From engaging in adventure to luxuriating in peaceful bliss, romance is certain to spark in this sensational state.
- GET OUT AND GOLF, Southern Pines and the Pinehurst Sandhills. If you’re a golfing fanatic, you’ve come to the right place. For the best courses, few areas of the U.S. rival North Carolina, which is known as the Golf Capital of the World. What’s more, the Southern Pines and the Pinehurst Sandhills regionishome to over 35 legendary courses. Many of the area resorts boast top-notch courses, and the Pinehurst Resort is among the finest with eight signature courses!
- FIND DOWNHILL ADVENTURE, Blowing Rock. You’ll be hard pressed to find better skiing in the region than at Appalachian Ski Mountain. With peaks ranging from 4,000 to 5,500 feet, a multitude of perfect slopes are ready to accommodate all skiers from beginners and advanced. Plus, the Appalachian Ski Mountain is not far from other major resorts, which gives you an unprecedented opportunity to sample the best skiing east of the Mississippi River. Find out more by visiting www.appskimtn.com.
- ROMANCE IN LUXURY,Asheville. There simply is no finer resort in North Carolina than Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa located in the town of Asheville. Since 1913, some of the biggest names in world history, such as Thomas Edison and F. Scott Fitzgerald, have enjoyed the lush pampering of this exquisite hotel. With its multi-million dollar full-service spa, you’ll also experience relaxation on a level you never dreamed possible!Phone:800 438 5800Website: www.groveparkinn.com
- TRAVEL BACK IN TIME, Beaufort. An enchanting taste of 18th century American life is alive in the narrow streets and 200-year old homes of Beaufort. North Carolina's third-oldest settlement feels virtually untouched since its start in 1713 and is as charming a stop on your honeymoon as it is historical.
- SLIP AWAY TO OCRACOKE ISLAND, Outer Banks. Discover the beauty of North Carolina with a romantic excursion to Ocracoke Island. This is the former home to none other than Blackbeard the pirate, but today you’ll find a gorgeous getaway that can only be reached by boat or air. Ocracoke is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore and while peaceful most of the year, during the summer many visitors come from far and wide to enjoy it. If you plan to go and use the free ferry service, be sure to make reservations well in advance.
- GET YOUR HEAD IN THE CLOUDS, the Great Smoky Mountains. In the center of North Carolina is the wonderful preserve of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, your entry into a world of wildlife from bears, deer and wild turkeys to a plethora of colorful flowering plants. Named for the smoky blue haze that rings the mountain tops, this pristine forest land is the perfect location for hiking or camping.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODES: There are six area codes in North Carolina—828 for Asheville and Banner Elk, 919 for Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh; 704 for Charlotte; 252 for the Outer Banks; 910 for Wilmington, and 336 for Winston-Salem.
- CURRENCY: The US dollar. You should have no problems finding ATMs all around the state at banks and most stores and markets.
- LANGUAGE: English.
- GETTING AROUND: Renting a car in North Carolina can be a great idea, especially if you plan to see more of the state. The major towns and cities generally have transportation such as buses, taxis and limos. Locally, you may want to rent bikes to see the wonderful forests and winding roads of the state’s countryside. Also, the bigger attractions like you’ll find in the Outer Banks have transportation options ready for travelers. Ferries, boats and jumper planes can get you to some of the more remote locations. Plan ahead and reserve a spot so you don’t get caught waiting in long lines.
- WHEN TO GO: Spring, summer and autumn are the very best seasons to enjoy the stunning foliage and scenery of North Carolina. Late March and early April bring a lively splash of color, while the falling leaves of late September and early October put on an equally spectacular show with colors from the other spectrum. Of course, the excellent skiing in the state is reason alone to come visit during the winter months.
- ELECTRICITY: All of the United States and Canada use 110 volts system. Finding converters can be difficult in the U.S., so if you need one, bring it with you.
- TIME ZONE: North Carolina falls under Eastern Standard Time, and it observes daylight saving time beginning on the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.
BOOK NOW! This flash sale for a Cook Islands getaway includes round trip airfare for a cheap honeymoon package that doesn't skimp on fun, relaxation and pure seclusion in an island paradise. Just $1949 per person until April 30th! MORE
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
WEBSITE We've partnered with WedPics, a free app that gives you a place to get all your wedding photos in one place without digging through social media profiles after the wedding! Organize, download and even order prints right from the app, and don't spend even one minute scouring the web for friend's photos and videos. MORE
Chance of Rain77°/52°