New England Overview
What could be more romantic than to begin your new life together in the place where the U.S.A. was born – New England?
These six historic states are value packed destinations for honeymooners with a love for the Great Outdoors, a penchant for history and a yen for contemporary creature comforts and fun during all four seasons of the year.
Few places in the world can match the beauty and challenge of the ski resorts in Vermont, the awesome colors of the New Hampshire mountains when leaves change color during the Fall, the beautiful sandy beaches of Connecticut and Rhode Island in the
Summer, and the rolling green hills of the Massachusetts Berkshires in the Spring.
Everything in New England is easy to reach.
Boston, New England’s unofficial capital, is only a few hours away from the pristine beaches of Cape Cod, the awesome hiking trails of New Hampshire or the craggy wooded coast of Maine. Beaches with sprawling sweeps of sand, dazzling dunes and amazing rock formations are everywhere and lonely light houses, weather beaten farms and hosts of tiny towns invite love struck couples to explore and enjoy.
- A VISIT TO BOSTON. Bunker Hill, the Boston Commons, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall, the Harbor and many other sites where so much U.S. history took place are all within Boston's borders. New England's unofficial capital doesn't disappoint. It's a large city with a small town feel and an old city with a young spirit. World famous museums, universities and historic spots are all within easy reach via public trans- portation.
- A RIDE ON THE SWAN BOATS, Boston. Any time between mid April and September you can cuddle up for a leisurely paddleboat ride along the lagoon in the Boston Gardens.
- A TYPICAL NEW ENGLAND DINNER. Whether it's a juicy lobster roll at a roadside stand or fancy Lobster Thermidor at a gourmet restaurant, be sure to try some of New England's famous seafood. Clams, oysters, lobsters, scrod and other fish are just a few of the local delicacies that delight.
- A CLIFF WALK, Newport, Rhode Island. This is one of the country's grandest strolls. It is a 3.5 mile historic district lined with mansions and chateaux that were built in America's Golden Age. There are 15 historic properties to visit, all with spectacular water views. You'll be amazed to see how America's richest families lived.
- MYSTIC SEAPORT, Mystic, Connecticut. This reconstructed 19th century community is one of New England's top attractions. Its Maritime Museum is considered to be one of the best in the world.
- A GONDOLA RIDE. Many ski lifts have gondola rides that also offer panoramic views in all seasons. Non skiers can get the feel of being at the top of the mountain!
- LIPPIZANER STALLIONS, North Hero, Vermont. These magnificent, world famous white horses whose breeding dates back thousands of years perform in the summer at Knight Point State Park.
Tips and Advice
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- RENT A CAR. You can spend time in a big city, then get out into the countryside to enjoy your favorite sports or trace the paths of history.
- DRESS IN LAYERS. You can be high in the mountains or down by the seashore in the same day. Temperatures can be cool at night, even in summer.
- DON'T FORGET SUNSCREEN. The sun can be strong, even in the Northeast.
- INVEST IN A GOOD MAP. You'll be glad you did.
- DRIVE THE BACK ROADS. Stop in tiny towns. You'll see the heart of New England and find unexpected pleasures.
- CHECK FOR FERRIES. They can cut driving time by hours and you'll have fun being on the water.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
Chance of Rain66°/61°
Chance of Rain73°/61°
Chance of a Thunderstorm73°/63°