Enjoy a swimsuit-clad, carefree honeymoon in Rio de Janeiro. Though known as a beach paradise with sandy white beaches and the cool tide wherever you roam, this tropical city also has a lively culture, tasty dining, hip nightlife and fantastic shopping. For couples debating between the rest and relaxation of a beach and the lights and action of the city, Rio checks both. With breathtaking mountains and the tranquil ocean, the tropical setting of Rio oozes excitement and passion – the perfect honeymoon fiesta.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Rio de Janeiro
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- LANGUAGE: Portuguese
- CURRENCY: Brazillian Real (BRL). Comparison shop at different Cambios, or exchange houses, to find the best rate. However, Copacabana is known for having the best rates compared to other neighborhoods.
- VOLTAGE: 127V/60Hz
- AIRPORT CODE: The largest airport in Rio is Galeão International Airport (GIG).
- TIPPING: Tips generally aren't expected. Restaurants and hotels add a 10% service charge, and taxis charge a little bit extra for the same reason. If you thought service was exceptional, however, tips are still welcomed.
- STAY SAFE: As with all large cities, take basic precautions to stay safe as a tourist. Use zipperable and hidden travel pockets, and avoid flashy jewelry and watches. Try to blend in by dressing like a local. Stay in well-populated areas at night, and don't walk around by yourself. Also, stick with ATMs that are inside buildings such as banks and shopping centers.
- LGBTQ-FRIENDLY: Rio is known as an LGBTQ-friendly honeymoon destination, with a high level of acceptance generally making it comfortable place for LGBTQ couples to take their romantic getaway.
- LEAVE EARLY: If you have to be somewhere at a certain time, leave extra early! Traffic jams in Rio can appear suddenly and cause heavy delays.
- TAXIS: To avoid overcharging and safety issues, arrange your local transportation through the airport, your hotel or tour company, or a taxi stand rather than flagging one down.