Blue bays and lush jungles, charming little streets, expansive plantations and unspoilt ecological reserves... in the Mexican state of Oaxaca lies the magic land of Huatulco.Fine sand beaches line the 22 miles of tropical coast, with rocky cliffs and lush green hills that roll across the landscape. Honeymooners will adore the vibe and seclusion, where things stay much quieter than in Mexico's more popular resort areas.
History-loving honeymooners will want to trip back in time to local museums and ancient ruins, then give their brains a rest lazing on the white sandy beaches under the warm Oaxacan sun. The town itself is quaint and colonial, with old churches, artisan markets and wonderfully-authentic restaurants where honeymooners can enjoy true Mexican bargains without the usual inflated resort-area prices.
But that doesn't mean couples on their Huatulco honeymoon can't be pampered from head to toe at luxury hotels where delivering newlywed bliss is always numero uno. From big-name resorts to charming inns, lovers can find a place to stay in Huatulco that's the perfect fit.
A honeymoon in Huatulco, Mexico means you can slow down, stay sweet and taste the flavors of a south-of-the-border honeymoon treat.
Our Top Recommendations
Imagine yourself in Huatulco
The Best Parts of Huatulco
Though the Huatulco nightlife scene includes very few nightclubs there are tons of cool bars, pubs and lounges to make up for it – just means that the vibe is more intimate than some of Mexico’s harder-partying tourist destinations like Cancun or Acapulco. That being said, the party can still get pretty rowdy at Huatulco bars! Check out some of our favs below, and if you discovered a local gem on your honeymoon, leave it in the comments and maybe we’ll post it here!
- THE TIPSY BLOWFISH BAR & GRILL. Fun and funky, The Tipsy Blowfish is a local watering hole with great drinks, a fun crowd and live music. Dance your pants off, drink to your heart’s content and enjoy the fun vibe all night long.
- LA PAPAYA. One of Huatulco’s hottest clubs, mostly catering to a younger crowd, La Papaya is a great option for couples looking to shake it at a traditional discoteque. It’s a relatively small club, but the vibe is fun n’ wild and the reggaeton and electronic beats will have you dancing until the wee morning hours.
- WIKIKI BAR. One of the hippest bars in Huatulco, Wikiki Bar is a sweet nightlife spot with table games, pool, and a super-fun vibe. The crowd is fun, the drinks are cold and the TV screens play funny videos all night!
- LA MINA. La Mina, a trendy Huatulco discoteque, is a perfect place for a night of dancing to heavy beats. It’s a no-frills nightclub with a nice bar, a fun crowd and music that goes late into the night, especially during the high season!
- OCEAN BAR AT COSMO RESIDENCES. Great food and drink by the ocean at the Cosmo Residences development. Enjoy cold beers under the stars, watch the waves crash on the shore and relax to a setting that’s nothing short of paradise.
Intimate, romantic dinners provide some of the most precious honeymoon moments, so couples never want to skimp when it comes to mealtime. Luckily, Huatulco has plenty of delicious options from more casual lunches to beachfront dinners, all in a breathtakingly beautiful part of Mexico. Check out some of our favorite romantic Huatulco restaurants below!
- Hemingway's: This hip, funky little spot combines a unique atmosphere with unbelievable food. Coconut shrimp, tacos and ceviche are just a few of Hemingway’s specialties, not counting the incredible margaritas! Live music is the icing on the cake.
- La Crema Bar: Combine funky-yet-romantic romantic ambiance with incredible pizza and cold beer and you have La Crema Bar. Mexico probably isn’t the first place that comes to mind when you think of amazing pizza, but New York, eat your heart out – even seasoned connosseurs of the perfect pie will be blown away by La Crema.
- Terra-Cotta: Terra-Cotta has a fantastic location near Huatulco’s main plaza and not only are the food and atmosphere incredible, but the prices are too! Serving Mexican, American and international cuisines, Terra-Cotta’s dining room is bright and modern, decorated with beautiful pottery and flowers. Add on the excellent wines and Terra-Cotta is one of Huatulco’s best places for a romantic dinner night.
- Il Giardino del Papa: Phenomenal Italian cuisine and a romantic atmosphere are all at the table when you dine at Il Giardino del Papa. Beautiful artwork and crisp white tablecloths help complete the perfect picture, and the food will top off your perfect honeymoon evening.
- Cielito Lindo Centro: One of the best spots for breakfast or lunch in Huatulco, Cielito Lindo Centro is a great little bar and grill for seafood and authentic Oaxacan specialties. The dining room is warm and inviting with Mexican style accents and a calming color palette of reds, oranges and warm yellows for you to bask in while you please a palate of your own!