Riviera Nayarit Overview
The wild and wonderful Riviera Nayarit, 180 miles of pristine beaches, lakes and rivers on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, offers a magical backdrop for your wedding trip. The area has some of Mexico’s most spectacular scenery, a host of small towns and picturesque fishing villages, and a wide variety of accommodations ranging from seaside bed & breakfasts to ultra-modern chain hotels. You can establish honeymoon headquarters in one hotel and day trip to other towns, or you can rent a car and drive up the coast to discover the many beautiful, unspoiled places along the way.
Over 50 sun splashed beaches will warm your bodies and your souls. Several championship golf courses with ocean views await. You can go bird watching for rare species or fishing for marlin, tuna and sailfish. Try surfing or jet skiing in the ocean or relax beside a quiet lake or a rushing river. Hike through the lush rolling hills. This is the Great Outdoors at its finest. Riviera Nayarit is a natural paradise that has everything to make a honeymoon happy.
Begin in sophisticated Nuevo Vallarta, just a few minutes from the Puerto Vallarta airport, and travel up the coast. Here, there are three miles of wide beaches to sun on and a host of all inclusive hotels to choose from. The next town, Bucerias, has a charming cobblestoned main square, a long, wide stretch of beach and a cozy place to enjoy a meal, Mark’s Bar & Grill. La Cruz de Huanacaxtle is a former fishing village with a modern marina and four miles of glorious beaches. The Punta de Mita area is surrounded by water on three sides. It is dotted with upscale luxury resorts that line the beaches. Try the tony Four Seasons or the exquisite St. Regis and you’ll be pampered beyond belief. Further up the coast, Sayulita is an international surfers’ paradise as well as the Riviera’s “place to shop.” Stock up on decorative folk art and handicrafts to decorate your new home. Many are made by the Huichol Indians who inhabit the area. “San Pancho,” a local nickname for the town of San Francisco, and Lo de Marcos are two beachfront hideaways that you’ll love. Stop for lunch in a restaurant by the sea and relax and swim until the sun sets. Waters are so clear here that you can watch marine life swim by without a mask! Another day, explore the seaside towns of Rincon de Guayabitos, El Capomo, Punta Raza and Chacala. The port of San Blas, with dramatic ruins from the 1600’s, may be your last stop before you reach the state of Sinaloa border. Climb to the fort on the top of the hill to get a sweeping view of the coastline and breathe the fresh, balmy air.
The Riviera Nayarit is for couples who appreciate breathtaking natural beauty and fantastic beaches that you can make your own for a day or a week. Tranquility and the simple life reign but be assured that all the comforts of home and more are available everywhere. You’ll love it all!
- TRY SURFING: You can find the perfect wave around Sayulita, San Francisco, Lo de Marcos y Rincon de Guayabitos.
- GET OUT INTO THE COUNTRYSIDE for a first-hand look at the amazing natural beauty. Four wheel drive vehicles can be rented at Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Sayulita and Rincon de Guayabitos.
- PLAY GOLF: There are seven great courses to try, ranging from 6 to 18 holes. Courses are challenging and many holes have spectacular water views.
- WATCH FOR WHALES: You can see hump back whales breaching around Banderas Bay from November-March.
- GET AN AERIAL VIEW OF AMAZING FLORA AND FAUNA from a zip line. Soar over the thick jungle to see exotic birds, animals and foliage.
- SWIM WITH DOLPHINS: You can get an up close look at the friendly creatures in Nuevo Vallarta.
- GO BIRDWATCHING: There are an inordinate number of tropical birds to see throughout the area, especially around Sayulita.
Tips and Advice
- ELECTRICITY: 110 volts
- WATER: Drink bottled water at all times. Most hotels offer it free of charge.
- FAUCETS: Hot water faucets are marked C (Caliente), cold water, F (Frio.)
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- BRING BUG SPRAY: Certain areas have pesky mosquitos.
- DON’T FORGET SUNSCREEN: This is an area where you’ll want to spend a lot of time outdoors.
- RAINY SEASON: From July to October. Showers usually fall in the late afternoon. Vegetation is lush and this is the most photogenic time of the year!
- MORE INFORMATION is available at www.rivieranayarit.com
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm88°/69°