Puerto Vallarta Restaurants
Puerto Vallarta is a food lovers paradise! It now competes with Mexico City for having some of the best chefs and the best restaurants in the country. Few resorts in Mexico offer such a wide variety of culinary magic at such reasonable prices. Every day can be a romantic feast for the senses from breakfast through dinner. You’ll love choosing a different dining spot to share your dreams every night!
Every meal is a celebration. Restaurants range from simple to sophisticated, but almost all have picturesque settings that ring romance. Even the busiest ones have candlelit tables and soft music in the evenings. An amazing number offer tables for two just off the beach or right on the sand or high on a hill with a lovely view of the bay, so you can share your love and wish on a star over desert. More restaurants are nestled along downtown streets or locations along the river. Most of these have a cozy, intimate décor and almost all make dining easier by translating their menus to English.
Restaurants featuring every ethnic cuisine from Austrian to Thai (Puerto Vallarta is one of the few Mexican resorts that has not one but three Chinese restaurants!) can also be found.
Service is generally superb and diner friendly. If you look like you’re enjoying yourselves, you’ll never by rushed and circumspect waiters will let you while the night away over coffee and savor the moments as well as the food.
To get the best of everything, slip into a Mexican dining schedule: Breakfast is at 10:00 a.m.; Lunch around 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. and Dinner is at 9:00-11:00 p.m.
Wonderful meals made from fresh ingredients are an integral part of the fun and fantasy of a Puerto Vallarta honeymoon. You don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the number of super romantic places to dine. You’re sure to find some personal favorites, but here are a few of ours:
- MANGO’S BEACH CLUBis outrageously romantic. You can choose to dine on the terrace overlooking the ocean, at a candlelit table on the sand or in bed on the beach at this trendy restaurant which has the “now” look of a private club. There are a few pristine double beach beds where you can recline and dine while you watch your white curtains flutter in the breeze, listen to the waves and see the stars glittering overhead. Mediterranean dishes star on the menu. Get there in time to watch the sunset. This heady experience is what honeymoons are made of!
Uruguay 109, Col. 5 de Diciembre,
Tel: (322) 222 0796
- LA PALAPA RESTAURANT & LOUNGE. It doesn’t take long to fall in love with this place! Being there is like starring in a movie and watching it at the same time! Though it looks brand new, it’s been here for 50 years! Located on Vallarta’s most action packed beach, it serves up delicious seafood and Mexican snacks day-into-night. You can choose a quiet table for two in the shaded dining room or on the sand for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Itinerant vendors of just about everything under the sun pass by and “bring the shops to you” until sundown. Sunset is a joy and dinners after dark are as romantic as they come. The owner supplies the music while you just relax, dream and listen to the waves as you enjoy your dinner. Prices are reasonable and the scene is unforgettable. Don’t miss an afternoon or evening here. You can take a dip in the ocean between courses!
Pulpito 103, El Centro. Tel: (322) 222 5225
- TRIO. This tiny place tucked away on a downtown side street is typical of the small, cozy restaurants that you’ll find scattered throughout town. It’s quiet with excellent service and a pleasant décor that makes you feel as if you’re dining in a private home where you can linger over dinner as long as you like. The Mediterranean/Italian dishes taste like they’re prepared with love and the high quality of the cuisine is not reflected in the price. This is the place to go when you want a relaxed, just-for-the-two-of-us night out. Leave room for one of the scrumptious deserts and follow your dinner with a stroll along the Malecon in the moonlight.
Guerrero 264, El Centro.
Tel: (322) 222 2196.
- CAFÉ DES ARTISTES. When you’re in the mood for refined dining, this is your place! The contemporary white restaurant, considered to be one of Vallarta’s finest, is on a side street in the midst of town. A local chef who has spearheaded Puerto Vallarta’s internationally famous Gastronomic Festival, creates innovative French/Mexican dishes for sophisticated palates. You can order a la carte, or enjoy a 3-5 course prix fixe gourmet dinner in an upstairs room where your tasting menu can also be paired with appropriate wines. Here, you’ll dine to the soothing sound of the waterfall that spills down one wall. This is a place where you will savor every morsel as well as every moment. It will be an unforgettable evening that’s worth every penny! Their famous art gallery is just across the street!
Guadalupe Sanchez 740, El Centro.
Tel: (322) 222 3228.
- VISTA GRILL. What could be more romantic than seeing the sparkling lights of the city and the moon shimmering on the waters of the Bay spread out below you? Reserve a table for two by the railing (Ask for the corner!). To make it even more romantic, get there in time to watch the dramatic vermillion sunset over the water. The subtle flavors of modern Mexican cuisine will delight you. Relax, let the soft breezes caress and listen to soft jazz. Have a drink in one of the comfortable arm chairs in the bar after dinner. Fireworks may light up the sky. You’ll feel as if you’re on top of the world!
Pulpito 377, Colonia Alta Vista
Tel: (322) 222 3570.
- LE BISTRO JAZZ CAFÉ.
Slip into another world just below the bridge over the Cuale River that divides the downtown area! You’re in the heart of Puerto Vallarta but you feel as if you’re in an outrageous country home. This over-the-top restaurant stands on a small island in the river. Reserve a table by the railing and you’ll hear the murmuring water and be surrounded by lush tropical vegetation as you enjoy a candlelit dinner. The rich décor could be the home of a daring millionaire who has an eclectic art collection on display. Have a drink at the bar, and then walk around to see it before you dine. A tempting menu features everything from game to seafood dishes and the drinks list is as creative as the food. By day, you can stroll along the river walk after lunch to visit the shops and the small archaeological museum. By night, stay for a drink and you’ll be serenaded by soft jazz. This is the place to begin when you’ve decided to have a night on the town. Hip bars and dazzling dance clubs are just a few blocks away on the Malecon.
Rio Cuale 16 A
Tel: (322) 20283.
- LAS PALOMAS. This is a great place to be when day turns into night. Its corner bar and dining room, a few steps up from the sidewalk, are an open window to the seaside promenade. You can watch the world go by and the ocean behind it as you enjoy a Margarita and/or a tasty Mexican dinner. The décor recalls colonial Mexico, complete with colorful, cut-paper flags! Locals and visitors have loved the simplicity and the friendly atmosphere of this homey place for years. Hollywood celebrities, international statesmen, and local movers and shakers stop for drinks to take in the scene. It’s like watching a sunset with a picture frame around it! You’ll love it too!
610 Paseo Diaz Ordaz (The Malecon).
Tel: (322) 236 3675.