Mazatlan is closer to the USA than it is to Mexico City. Thanks to fabulous deep sea fishing, it was one of the country’s first resorts to attract international visitors. It is a “working” resort that doubles as one of the country’s busiest sea ports an doubles as home base for Mexico’s largest shrimp fleet, so guess what heads most menus! Rough and ready, it attracts sports minded travelers who like a casual fun and a laid back lifestyle.
- THE AQUARIUM: A visit to the tiny Aquarium which is one of the best in Mexico, and its tiny zoo and botanical garden.
- SHRIMP BUCKET: Try lunch or dinner here. It's a Mazatlan institution near the old part of town where the fun began.
- TRY PACIFICO, the zesty local beer. Try it, you'll like it. There's nothing better when you want to cool off on a hot day.
- THE MAIN DRAG: Most hotels, restaurants and discos can be found along or just off the broad coastal highway which changes names frequently.
- COOL RIDE: Try a "Pulmonia" or "Pneumonia" (jaunty golf cart contraptions with a fringe on top) instead of a taxi. One day, take a ride to see the old restored part of the downtown area and to the deep sea fishing port where Mazatlan began.
- CRAZY CARNIVAL: Mazatlan's rip roaring February Carnival is considered to be one of the best in Mexico. If you honeymoon here in February, reserve your hotel at least six months in advance.
Tips and Advice
- DISTANCE FROM THE AIRPORT: 1.5 miles
- CITY CODE: 691
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
WEBSITE We've partnered with WedPics, a free app that gives you a place to get all your wedding photos in one place without digging through social media profiles after the wedding! Organize, download and even order prints right from the app, and don't spend even one minute scouring the web for friend's photos and videos. MORE