This is a ‘twofer’ destination that delivers top value for couples who like to mix old and new. IXTAPA is a collection of glittering modern hotels strung out along Palmar bay which is bordered by flat white sand beaches and gentle waves. ZIHUATANEJO, four miles away, is an old fishing village with lots of charm and a laid back lifestyle. The destination has Acapulco’s fine weather without the crowds and delivers some of the best value for your money of any Mexican resort.
- An afternoon on IXTAPA ISLAND. Lunch at rustic El Marlin Restaurant on Varadero Beach.
- A day on PLAYA LA ROPA with lunch at Rosi's or Villa del Sol.
- Plan your SUNSET in a new romantic spot every day. Make it an event. A few good places--the Westin lobby bar; the seaside promenade in Zihuatanejo, the tiny bar at Puerto Mio hotel in Zihuatanejo, your own hotel balcony, etc..
- Lunch or a late breakfast along one of the SEASIDE PROMENADE RESTAURANTS such as La Sirena Gorda.
Tips and Advice
- Average year round temperature: 78 degrees F
- DISTANCE FROM THE AIRPORT: 13 miles
- AREA CODE: 755
- RIDE THE BUS. Busses link major hotels in Ixtapa's Hotel Zone. Some operate to Zihuatanejo.
- BEST BEACHES - Playa La Madera and Playa La Ropa - are beyond downtown Zihuatanejo. Taxis will take you there and pick you up at an appointed hour.
- EXPLORE MORE: Get out and explore together beyond the Ixtapa Hotel Zone to see beaches with dramatic rock formations like Playa Las Cuatas.
Chance of a Thunderstorm99°/68°