Mexico's largest island, 28 mi. x 9 mi., is proof that great things can come in small packages. It is cozy, lovely, laid back and easy easy on the eyes, easy to get around, easy to love. There is a relaxed, barefoot informality here that larger resorts lack. It also has many unique features that lovers love. Reefs around the island have been ranked as one of the world's top five scuba diving sites. The Mayan language and culture are on display as the island was isolated from mainland Mexico until relatively recently. Most of the island is uninhabited. The resort area is on the West Coast on both sides of the tiny town of San Miguel, pop. 30,000. Snorkeling and other water sports are also fun due to the fact that water visibility is amazing. You can stand in the water with a mask and see everything. Everything is easy to find, and there's lots to discover off the beaten path.
- CHANKANAAB PARK: Make a day of it for snorkeling, sunning, and cooling off in the botanical garden, seeing the mini museum and lunching by the sea.
- DIVERS can see the sunken plane in front of La Ceiba Hotel. Snorkelers can top the car almost anywhere, stand in the water, and see the wonder of marine life.
- SAN GERVASIO: See Mayan ruins without having to leave the island.
- WALK along the downtown seaside promenade and side streets around sunset.
- LAS PALMERAS: Have a meal or a snack here in front of the ferry terminal. Everyone does.
- ISLA DE COZUMEL MUSEUM: Combine seeing the island's history with lunch or breakfast on the upstairs terrace overlooking the ocean.
Tips and Advice
- Average year round temperature: 77 degrees F
- Distance from the airport: 5 miles
- City code: 987
- Bring your own snorkel mask so you won't have to wait in line getting fitted for rentals and so you won't miss any underwater excitement.
- Ride the bus to major hotels on both sides of town.
- Test drive rental cars or mopeds before you take off. Be especially careful with mopeds. Do not ride on loose roadside gravel.
- Shorts and a tee shirt (not a tank top) will take you just about anywhere by day; long pants and a shirt will do for the best restaurants and discos.
Chance of Rain81°/63°
Chance of Rain81°/63°