Dining is an integral part of the Cancun adventure. Restaurants in all price ranges are plentiful. Everything from Chili’s and Hard Rock Cafes to the finest gourmet cuisine is available in a wide variety of attractive settings. The Yucatan has its own distinctive dishes. You’ll enjoy trying some of the recipes that date back to Mayan times! The most popular international restaurants are in the Hotel Zone. Couples seeking less expensive meals can visit downtown restaurants or some located in shopping malls. You have only to choose a place to suit your mood!
Here are a few of the most romantic restaurants we found. All are conveniently located on or just off Boulevard Kukulcan in the Hotel Zone and all have water views that inspire relaxing and sharing your dreams. Reservations are recommended.
- TERRENEO: Small and cozy restaurants are an exception here, and this is one of the most delightful. The modern décor offers romance plus. Have a drink in one of the big leather chairs in the bar then move to the table you’ve reserved on the right hand side of the restaurant to enjoy a quiet meat or seafood dinner cooked to order. Soft background music mixes with the sound of the waves. You may want to return to the bar for an after dinner drink! Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 13.5, Tel: (998)275 0214. www.terraneo.com.mx
- HARRY’S STEAK & LOBSTER HOUSE: If you’re in the mood for a juicy steak, this is your place! A sleek and sophisticated stone and glass décor with soaring archways and tables over-looking the lagoon create the setting to enjoy the raw bar, prime aged meats and scrumptious deserts. Some say these are the best steaks in town! Afterwards, enjoy a drink in the hideaway garden bar where you can listen to a gentle waterfall and watch dancing fountains. You won’t want to leave. This is First Class all the way! Boulevard Kukulcan Km. Tel: (998)840-6550.
- LORENZILLO’S: This is a tried and true restaurant complex that delivers value. Reserve a candlelit table next to the railing overlooking the water so you can dine to the sound of soft waves. Lobster is the house specialty, and you can buy some fresh bread to take home from the bakery on the premises. Couples who want to go “over the top” can reserve a table in the gazebo at the end of the dock and linger over a private dinner for two. The staff will help plan your meal and even provide decorations to order. Call at least a day in advance to reserve the gazebo. Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 10.5. Tel: (998)883-1254. www.lorenzillos.com.mx
- JC CAPITAN: This tiny rustic restaurant under several small palapas overlooking the lagoon offers plenty of romance at reasonable prices. Tucked away at the far end of the Hotel Zone, it’s the kind of tranquil atmosphere where memories can be made as you enjoy a tasty seafood dinner. Blvd. Kukulkan, Km. 19.5. Tel: (998)885 3126.
- MOCAMBO: This is the only private restaurant overlooking the ocean. It is ultra-romantic and reasonably priced. Reserve a table by the water and get there in time to watch the sunset with a view of Isla Mujeres in the background. The informal dining room is under a tall palapa, and soft music plays in the background. Although the dining room is large you’ll feel as if it’s just for the two of you as you listen to the waves and feel the soft ocean breezes. Mention that you’re on your honeymoon when you reserve and you’ll get a special surprise! Bld. Kukulkan Km. 8.5. Tel: (998)883-0398. www.laparrilla.com.mx
- SASI: Oriental flair adds to the romance of this Thai restaurant housed in a collection of small raised palapas with soft lights and a stream running through. Thai specialties share the menu with international dishes. The tranquil setting makes you feel as if you’re in the Far East! This is a place to relax and enjoy. Marriott Casa Magna, Blvd. Kukulkan, Km. 14.5. Tel: (998)881-2000. www.marriott.com.mx
- CASITAS: If you want to treat your new mate to something very special, this is the way to do it! Dinner for two is served on the beach in “your own” lanai on the sand. “Walls” are diaphanous curtains that blow in the soft breeze. Tables are set with red roses and soft lights. You can choose from special menus for two and service is circumspect. After dinner, you can stretch out on lounges for star gazing and dreaming. This is romance at its best, a honeymoon experience that you’ll never forget. Ritz Carlton Hotel, Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 13.5. Tel: (998)881-0808. www.ritzcarlton.com
- LE BASILIC: When you feel like dressing up for a special occasion, book a table on the center “island” of this sophisticated restaurant. Mediterranean cuisine with a French touch, a subdued atmosphere, soft music, candlelight and impeccable service set the scene in this air conditioned oasis. Relax and enjoy. You won’t want dinner to end! Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Hotel, Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 9.5. Tel: (998)881 3200 Ext. 3380.
- LA HABICHUELA SUNSET: This three level restaurant is a pioneer in Cancun and still has a branch downtown. Seafood dishes that have been pleasing visitors for years are the specialty. You can choose a table in the air conditioned dining room or outside in the garden under the stars. Learn Mayan from the menu and see a tiny archeological site in the dining room! Prices are reasonable. Blvd. Kukulcan 12.6. Tel: (998)840-6240. www.lahabichuela.com