Cancun is Mexico premier tourist destination. Few places in the world offer honeymooners such exciting and accessible diversity. From ancient pyramids to modern amenities, Cancun has it all.
Romance and excitement are at your fingertips along the 14 mile long island that houses the Hotel Zone. Beautiful beaches — the kind that travel posters promise but seldom deliver — are right outside your door. The peninsula is bordered by the aquamarine waters and white sand beaches of the Caribbean on one side and the green waters of Nichupte Lagoon on the other.
Sophisticated sybaritic comforts, up-to-the-minute hotels and a spectacular array of activities surround you. Pristine nature preserves and archaeological sites stand beside ultra-modern hotels and mega malls. Clear blue waters with high visibility invite divers and snorkelers to be awestruck by the colorful reefs and marine life. Ancient Mayan cultures are also on display. The archaeological ruins of El Rey lie near a Hotel Zone golf course. Famous sites such as Chichen Itza and Tulum are just a day trip away. Wild tropical jungles filled with exotic birds and animals begin just outside of town.
You’ll love it all!
- SNORKELING & SCUBA DIVING: Cancun and environs are world renowned for aquamarine waters and extensive coral reefs with extraordinary visibility. In some places, you can just don a mask and stand in the water to watch colorful tropical marine life swim by. If you want to see it all but don’t want to get wet, sign up for a submarine or a glass bottom boat ride.
- VISIT AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE: You’re in the heart of Mayaland where an ancient civilization flourished. Get out to see the magnificent pyramids at Chichen Itza, Tulum or Coba. Or, visit smaller Ruinas del Rey, whose entrance is near the Hilton Hotel golf course. These sites make you feel as if the ancient Mayans left just minutes ago. Your Concierge can arrange it all.
- PARTY, PARTY: Have a wild and crazy night at Coco Bongo or one of the other famous clubs or discos in Cancun’s party area. The action lasts till dawn and there will never be a dull moment. Disco dancing, elaborate shows, and lively music are just part of the action packed scene.
- TRY YOUR LUCK: Several small casinos have slot machines, poker, Black Jack and other games. Your Concierge can help you find out the hours they operate.
- GO TO THE VIP MOVIE: In the Plaza las Americas VIP theatre you can watch a first run film as you sit in a soft leather chair, sip your favorite beverages and have a snack. You’ll feel like a King and Queen!
- GET AN OVERALL VIEW of Cancun and surroundings at the Torre Panoramica at the Embarcadero. Travel up the tower and get oriented as you overlook the Hotel Zone and the ocean from a revolving platform. The small Entry Fee is well worth it!
- SEE NATURE AT ITS BEST: Cancun has many biospheres and nature preserves. Take a boat ride through canals to see the birds, flora and fauna of Punta Nizuc. Swim with the dolphins or feed the sharks from an underwater cage at the Aquarium in Plaza La Isla.
- SHOP, SHOP, SHOP: La Isla, Plaza Caracol, Luxury Plaza, and Plaza Kukulkan are just a few of the vast modern malls where you can browse and buy. Downtown open markets like Ki Huic and Mercado Ventiocho offer just about every Mexican souvenir under the sun. Here, bargaining for a lower price is part of the fun. If you forget something, chances are you’ll find it in one of the chic airport shops. To make things even better, it’s all Duty Free!
- LEARN TO COOK A MEAL TOGETHER: Cooking classes at the Ritz Carlton Hotel are open to all. You’ll learn cooking basics and how to prepare dinner for two together in a state-of-the art kitchen. You’ll learn plenty of cooking tips and the meals you prepare back home will remind you of your happy honeymoon.
- SEE XCARET: This is one of the most outrageous and unusual eco parks you’ll ever visit! An easy day trip away from Cancun, it offers a host of memorable things to do. Swim with dolphins, visit a fabulous folkloric museum, see flamingoes and tropical parrots in their natural habitat, and much more. This is truly an exciting adventure!
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODE: 998
- CURRENCY: The peso. U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere but change will likely be in pesos.
- ELECTRICITY: 120 volts, 60 cycles. Bring a power surge protector for your computer.
- AVERAGE YEAR ROUND TEMPERATURE: 80 degrees F.
- GETTING AROUND: Taxis are unmetered, charge by Zone, and are generally expensive. You can take a bus along the main avenue of the Hotel Zone for a few pesos.
- GETTING THERE: Flights are convenient from most major US airports. The approximate flight times are: -New York: 4.5 hours -Boston: 5.5 hours -Philadelphia: 4 hours -Miami: 2 hours -Atlanta: 3 hours -Baltimore: 4 hours -Los Angeles: 5 hours -Chicago: 3.5 hours -Houston: 2.5 hours -Denver: 4 hours
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES: Hotels are especially large so you'll walk a lot. Also, they usually stand a good distance from the main road where bus stops are located.
- BRING SUNSCREEN & TOILETRIES: The sun is very strong and you can get a bad burn in a short time.
- DON'T LOSE YOUR TOURIST CARD: The remainder of the Tourist Card you receive upon arrival has to be turned in when you leave the country. Keep it with your Passport.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE