The beauty of Lisbon is neverending. Stunning surroundings, majestic castles, delicious dining alongside vibrant, postcard-perfect city streets...the city is a place where romance comes as easily as the warm sunshine on terracotta rooftops. With all the culture of a typical capital city but none of the stressful bustle, Lisbon is laid-back bliss for honeymoons as sweet as a Portuguese pastry.
Take a sunset cruise off the Lisbon coast, sip rich espresso and nibble on tarts at a cafe on a cobblestoned street, hop on a trolley and traverse the city's most romantic neighborhoods...sure, Paris is great, but this carefree, charming town is as romantic as capital cities get. Oh, and did we mention the wine here is some of the best in the world? Sip the good stuff while you munch on tapas before climbing a hill to one of the city's scenic overlooks to watch the sunset.
And with an array of romantic boutique hotels to choose from, you always have an intimate honeymoon home base to return to -- and wake up in -- every romantic evening and every crisp, blissful morning.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Lisbon
- CRUISE THE TAGUS: Lisbon's Tagus River is perfect for a romantic sunset cruise. See the twinkling lights of Lison from the water as the colors of sunset splash across the sky above the city.
- VIEWS AND VISTAS: Lisbon is known for its numerous miradouros, or viewpoints, from which you can look out over the city. Some of the best are the well-shaded Miradouro de Graça, overlooking the city's red roofs and nearby Tagus river, as well as Miradouro de Sao Pedtro de Alcantara, which has pleasant gardens and a view of one of Lisbon's majestic castles. Seeing the sunset from one of the miradouros is a must-do for Lisbon honeymoons.
- GO PALACE-HOPPING: Lisbon is a land of castles and palaces. Honeymooners can explore them all, but for an extra special treat, have a dinner date in Palacio Chiado. That's right -- this old palace has been converted into an upscale restaurant where you can dine in opulence like a queen and king.
- GELATO A-GO-GO: Italy, step aside...Portugal is known for amazing gelato as well. Your honeymoon in Lisbon isn't complete until you've shared a cup or cone of the cold stuff on a warm day, kissed by the sea breeze, people-watching while you soak up the scene.
- GO WINE WILD: Portugal is renknowned for her excellent wines, and Lisbon is the perfect place to try a sip. Whether you order a bottle of local wine with dinner or take a day trip touring and tasting at the local vineyards, make sure you make Lisbon's wines part of your romantic getaway.
- SWEET SPAS: Lisbon is a great honeymoon destination for top-notch spas. Give yourselves a getaway within a getaway by taking a few hours off of sightseeing for indulgent, relaxing, and beautifying couple's treatments