An enchanting European archipelago, Malta is picture-perfect for romantic adventure. Malta honeymoons combine Euro-style charm with sparkling Mediterranean views and an island mentality. A warm, pleasant year-round climate makes it a gorgeous honeymoon destination regadless of when you book your romantic getaway, and its quaint towns and cities are perfect for a couple's escape as relaxing as it is invigorating.
Valletta is the captial of Malta, and also a must-visit honeymoon destination in the country. Known as Malta's crown jewel, this vibrant city is one of Europe's best-kept secrets. A "2018 European capital for culture," Valletta is known for its rich array of cultural wonders from museums and artistic productions to elegant concerts and world-class Mediterranean dining. Valletta is small enough to make it perfect for a long weekend of exploring, yet offers a yearlong calendar packed full of events ranging from rock concerts and food festivals to international sporting events and historical spectacles.
After exploring all the treasures of the main island of Malta to your heart's content, hop a ferry to the nearby islands of Gozo and Comino, easily accessible from the Maltese mainland. Wth very few residents, these isles have their own unique character that isn't like any other place on the planet. The tiny islands are home to the clearest waters of the world. Newlyweds can snorkel, dive or simply float in the crystal-clear waters during their visit.
Explore Malta hotels, packages, and more below, and let your hearts run wild in this sophisticated European honeymoon dreamland.
Our Top Recommendations
Explore the Cities of Malta
The Best Parts of Malta
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- WHEN TO VISIT: Malta has beautiful weather year-round, with lots of sun and very little rainfall. Summers are sunny and hot, but get plenty of cooling breezes blowing in from the Mediterranean. Fall and Spring are cooler, with occasional warm blasts that swirl in from Africa. Winters are generally mild enough that for much of the winter, couples can dine outside and enjoy the sun!
- GETTING THERE: Flights from the US stop at major European hubs like London, Rome, or many others before connecting flights, many operating via Malta Air, can shuttle you to the international aiport in Luqa.
- GETTING AROUND: In Malta, you drive on the left. Renting a car is the best way to get the most of the country, and ferries from the capital of Valletta are the best way to explore Malta's other islands. Within the capital of Valletta, try renting some bikes or booking a walking tour to get up close and personal with the city. Public transportation is very reliable.
- LGBTIQ COUPLES: Rising to first place on the 2016 ILGA-Europe Rainbow Europe Index, Malta is a gay and queer-friendly destination. www.GayMalta.com is a great resource to find gay-friendly bars and clubs, and find tips from like-minded allies before your trip.
- LANGUAGE: The official tongues are English and the unique local language of Maltese, making communication with natives a stress-free affair for American honeymooners. Italian is widely-spoken as well.
- CURRENCY: Malta uses the Euro. To swap your home currency, try Exchange Bureaus first, as they're likely to offer better rates than the airports and hotels.
- ELECTRICITY: Power outlets in Malta use 3-pronged plugs, as are used in the UK. The power supply is 230 volts, with a frequency of 50 hertz.
- WATER: Tap water is potable and safe throughout Malta. To save a few bucks while dining, ask for tap instead of bottled!
- BEACHES GALORE: Since Malta is a chain of islands, there's plenty of coast to explore. Soak up the sun and relax on any number of an array of beaches where soft sand meets the sparkling Mediterranean. For sporty couples, book a Scuba expedition or snorkeling trip to experience Malta's underwater wonderland.
- EXPLORE THE COUNTRY: Malta's countryside is a gorgeous place to stroll, bike, and soak up romantic views. The islands are peppered with ancient ruins, making them all the more engaging to explore.
- COASTAL CLIFFS: With its Mediterranean location, Malta's stunning coastal cliffs make for unforgettable sunset picnic spots.
- HISTORICAL HONEYMOON: Give yourselves a honeymoon that's literally historical by soaking up Malta's rich past. Civilizations that have left their mark on the islands include Neolithic peoples along with Romans, Phoenicians, Arabs, Byzantines, and Carthaginians. You gan grab hands and dash through ancient temples, get lost in enormous cliffside castles, and discover the mysterious nooks and crannies of towering citadels. Malta is the perfect place for history buff couples to go absolutely wild.
- PARKS & GARDENS: With its history of passing through the ownership of various kingdoms, Malta is home to an array of verdant royal gardens and gorgeous national parks. Take a romantic stroll, sneak a kiss beneath the trees, or just put down a blanket to people-watch and relax the afternoon away.
- LOVER'S TREE: With a program called The Lover's Tree, your very own tree will be planted in Xrobb l-Għaġin Nature Park to commemorate your love. In addition to a certificate to take home, a heart-shaped plaque will be placed on the tree with your names, home country, and the date of your marriage or civil union. It's a romantic way to leave a little love on Malta to come back to on your anniversaries, making your marriage an inseparable part of the island forever.