Paris is the international capital of romance. From bonbons and kisses beneath the Eiffel Tower to gondola rides through the Seine, the French capital is one of the loveliest cities in the world to propose, elope, or escape.
Sip coffee and munch croissant at a corner café, watching the crowds go by. Shop French brands right at the source by browsing stylish Parisian boutiques. Saunter through a bustling marketplace for fresh-baked baguettes and local cheeses. Hold hands and smell the flowers, sitting amongst the bright orange blossoms of Luxembourg Gardens at the Medici Fountain.
In Paris, it feels like every plaza, park and street corner has something romantic to reveal. Gorgeous bridges provide magical vantage points to look out over the City of Lights.
Our Top Recommendations
The Best Parts of Paris
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- Getting In: We recommend taking a bus or métro from Charles de Gaulle Airport (airport code CGD) to a stop near your hotel. You can then walk or get a cab for the rest of the way.
- Getting Around: Paris is a fantastic city to explore by foot, but renting bicycles is also lots of fun (just wear helmets, and be wary of traffic on the narrow streets). For longer-distance travel the bus system and metro, with over 300 stops throughout Paris, are excellent.
- Dodge the Crowds: Major attractions like the Eiffel Tower are as romantic as it gets, but to avoid heavy crowds dampening the mood, time certain sights for odd times of day. Or, if you can, visit in the off-season of November through March, and you’ll save money on hotels as well.
- Currency Counts: France uses the Euro. Exchange desks will be plentiful at the airport, but may charge higher rates than alternatives.
- Tipping: France adds “TVA,” which is a service charge to restaurant bills. Cafés that don’t charge it, you can leave a Euro or €1 or €2 for every €20 that you’re charged. Tip €5 to €10 to taxi drivers.
- The Temple of Love: The Bois de Vincennes is the largest public park in Paris, and in the center of its lake is an island housing a structure known as the Temple of Love. Enjoy a picnic with views of the lake and surrounding woods, or explore the jagged caves below the temple on paved passageways through the stone.
- Secret Waterfalls: Discover Paris’ secret waterfalls hidden in the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, and steal a smooch beneath a canopy of stalactites.
- Visit a Vineyard: Sample cheeses and rosé at a café next door to one of France’s most famous vineyards. Stroll along the olive rows for one of the most charming scenes you’ll ever see.
- Seine River Cruise: Glide gently along the Seine as day turns into night. Finish your meal at a stunning Parisian sunset, then for the ultimate in romance, bask in the sparkling light of Paris at night while you sip post-prandial cocktails.
- Museum Madness: Buy the Paris Museum pass to access more of the city’s legendary museums including Versailles, Notre-Dame, the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, and more.