More secluded beaches, a more rugged coast, black sand instead of white...Jamaica's stunning South Coast is nothing like any other part of the island. South Coast stretches from Treasure Beach in the west to the tip of Long Bay in the east, offering plenty of shoreline for couples to explore. From the romantic legend (and views) at Lover's Leap to the deluxe all inclusive wonderland of Sandals Whitehouse, the peace, quiet and "Old Jamaican" charm of the South Coast makes romance blooms like the palms here.
Drive past the huge green farms of the countryside, explore the romantic bounty at Treasure Beach, swim in the sea, hike through the jungle or relax in the unique beauty of South Coast's black sand beaches. Have an ice-cold Red Stripe at Floyd's Pelican Bar, "the coolest bar in the Caribbean". Take a rum tour, taste some samples and grab a bottle to take home from the Appleton Estate distillery. Splash in YS Falls, go on a river safari or soak in healing mineral springs. The experiences here are are all about fun and relaxation, and they're truly one of a kind.
Not developed with the ubiquitous mega-resorts of other parts of the island, the South Coast offers a greater variety of small, independently-run hotels that you'll find much more affordable than resorts in other parts of the island. Explore South coast honeymoons and you'll discover an older, simpler Jamaica frozen in time and waiting for a couple just like yourselves.
Our Top Recommendations
Imagine Yourself in South Coast
The Best Parts of South Coast
Tips & Advice
Tips & Advice+
- GETTING THERE: Points on the South Coast are around a two-hour car trip from either of the island's international airports in Kingston or Montego Bay or Sangster, but being off the beaten path is one of the South Coast's charms. Being hidden away and harder to reach keeps it less developed and better-preserved than some more touristy parts of the country.
- GETTING AROUND: Your hotel can arrange transportation to other parts of the island, but cabs can get expensive. The South Coast's roads are rough, rugged, and not well-marked, so getting around the area in a rental car can be quite difficult. Talk to your concierge to get tickets for SouthCoast Jamaica Express bus service, which offers excellent and comfy service around the area, or arrange private taxis and limo transfers to get around.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- KEEPING IT COOL: Sheltered by mountains, the South coast enjoys cooler temperatures than most other parts of the island, which is nice during the warmer months. Bring a sweater for the evening, just in case!
- NARY A NIGHTLIFE OPTION: The South Coast has little to no real nightlife - this less developed area is all about island relaxation and tropical beauty.
- YS FALLS: Located on a gorgeous, sprawling estate, YS Falls is an eco-park offering swimming, tubing, ziplines, and of course, plenty of splashing in the falls themselves! Couples could easily spend half a day here, and many will want to keep the fun going even longer. Website: www.ysfalls.com Email: [email protected]
- BLACK SAND BEACHES: The Caribbean is mostly known for white sand, but Jamaica's South coast offers the opposite. Soft black sand beaches are one of the South Coast's most unique features.