From gorgeous pink sand beaches and limestone cliffs to some of the loveliest people on the planet, a honeymoon on Bermudais what romance on an island paradise is all about. Many think this country comprised of many small archipelago islands is part of the Caribbean, but actually it is much farther north and 650 miles due east of the U.S. state of North Carolina. Yet the waters are stunningly blue and the golf courses are vibrantly green thanks to the warm jet stream current in the Atlantic that passes all around Bermuda ensuring the land gets wonderful tropical benefits.
A self-governing British overseas territory, the island’s people are as legendary as their history, known for their politeness and sing-song speech. One of the final holdings of the once vast British colonial empire in North America, the Bermudans have embraced the great qualities of their parent country as well as a unique culture all their own. As evidence of its strategic location, Bermuda is home to more forts per square mile than any other place on earth, a testament to the important role the land has played in the past.
Now is your time to unwind in a romantic, beautiful destination with balmy climate amid miles of dramatic coastline and superb hospitality. Discover sublime relaxation on Elbow Beach, peruse the shops of Hamilton and explore the colorful400 years of history at Fort St. Catherine in St. George’s. Set yourselves adrift on a stunning Atlantic oasis.
- EXPERIENCE REEF FISHING: The warm Atlantic current that gives Bermuda its mild climate also attracts fantastic fish such as greater amberjack, almaco jack, great barracuda, little tunny, Bermuda chub, gray snapper and yellowtail snapper. Fishing off Bermuda’s three major reef banks is a wonderful activity to add excitement and sporting challenge to your honeymoon. The Challenger Bank and the Argus Bank are further off the island, but offer the chance to nab much larger fish.
- ENJOY FUN IN THE SUN AT HORSESHOE BAY BEACH: Bermuda’s most popularbeach offers clear water, luxuriant pink sand and a lively social scene that includes events such as The Good Friday Annual Kite Festival. The beach can get very busy, but you’ll find all the amenities needed for a great day of sunshine including a snack bar, changing rooms and beach rental facilities. Horseshoe Bay Beach is a particular draw for families with children.
- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE PARKS: The island has many beautiful parks affording you a relaxing time to enjoy Bermuda’s many natural joys. Blue Hole Parkfills 12 acres in Hamilton Parish with plenty of wildlife and is fringed by a natural small pond and caves.The wide-open space and small woodland of The Arboretumcan be found on Middle Road in Devonshire Parish not far from Hamilton. In Sandys Parish, you’ll find the 38-acre Hog Bay Park with well-maintained trails, vegetable gardens and gorgeous wooded hillsides. Another terrific spot for natural lovers is Spittal Pond Nature Reserve in Smith's Parish where excellent trails take you to wonderful bird watching perches and a large variety of wildlife.
- GET SET FOR INTERNATIONAL RACE WEEK: Late April and early May bring the world-famous elimination-style yachting event, which can be a honeymoon highlight if you plan your trip accordingly. Other well-known events include the Marion-to-Bermuda Race in June and, in alternate years, theNewport-Bermuda Race.
- DISCOVER ST. GEORGE’S: Experience authentic Bermudan life in St. George’s town. Picturesque and beautifully preserved, St. George’s is a vibrant reminder of the island’s unexpected start 400 years ago when the English ship Sea Venture crashed on its jagged reefs. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this charming village offers wonderful experiences to uncover within tiny walled cottages, simple colonial churches and winding alleys.
- TAKE A WALKING TOUR: The island is a cozy size, making it especially delightful to explore on foot. The harbor city of Hamilton and the historic town of St. George are particularly easy to walk and offer many of Bermuda’s best attractions. The parishes that dot the island also have walking tours for an interesting way to see the sights and learn the history of this incredible destination.
- ENGAGE IN FRIENDLY COMPETITION: Bermudans enjoy the outdoors with great verve and sports are cherished pursuits. The most popular being tennis and golf, but sailing is much regarded activity as well. Sprinkled about the island are lots of tennis courts and excellent golf courses that you can enjoy together or even with a Bermudan partner, who undoubtedly will shower your performance with high praise in true island fashion!
- VISIT THE ROYAL NAVAL DOCKYARD: The Dockyard, which over time has been transformed into a park, is the site of concerts, the Bermuda Maritime Museum, the Crafts Market, theaters, the Bermuda Arts Centre, a full-service marina with floating docks, a clubhouse and much more. There’s even a ferry run that brings you to interesting points like Ireland Island. With a tremendous variety of events, activities, local vendors and fun, Bermuda’s biggest tourist attraction is a can’t-miss opportunity that’s well worth experiencing on your honeymoon.
Tips and Advice
- AREA CODE: 441
- CURRENCY: The Bermuda dollar is valued at the same rate as the US dollar and most shops and restaurants will accept either one.
- ELECTRICITY: Bermuda uses the 110-volt system, which is the same voltage found in the U.S. and Canada.
- GETTING THERE: Bermuda is a convenient flight from most US and many international airports. There are flights with stops leaving from major airports all over the world, but direct flights leave from the following airlines and cities:
- GETTING AROUND: Visitors are not allowed to rent cars, so there are obviously no car rental agencies. Local public transportation is available with airport shuttles, bicycles, buses, carriages, ferries, mopeds and taxis so you’ll always have a chance to see all Bermuda has to offer. Tours are also a good option.
- TIME: Bermuda’s standard time is one hour later than U.S. Eastern Standard Time. Be aware that Bermuda does follow Daylight Savings Time.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- SMOKING: Smoking is prohibited in public places, including restaurants and bars on the island, and offenders face a $1,000 fine.
- PAYING FOR ITEMS: You’ll have easy access to ATMs all over the island and virtually every merchant accepts major credit cards.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
Chance of Rain66°/61°