Quebec City Overview
Quebec City is so much more than the capital of Canada’s largest province, Quebec. Imagine a honeymoon in Quebec City as North America’s answer to Paris. This gorgeous destination seamlessly blends old andnew in a dazzling array of world-class shopping and dining amid a culture and history both richly traditional and steadfastly unique, rivaling that of France itself. Quebec City recently celebrated its 400th anniversary with great fanfare, revealing the immense pride its wonderfulcitizens place on their past and present as the very soul of New France.
From your first moments in Quebec City, romance envelops you with stunning views of Fleuve Saint-Laurent (St. Lawrence River), charming neighborhoods, stately castles and centuries-old forts that bring to mind European grace and beauty. A Quebec City honeymoon is paradise for lovers of parks, theaters, museums, trendy restaurants and exotic boutiques. While it’s certainly a plus to speak some French, the friendly and gracious Quebecois people are always willing to test their English and help you in any way possible.
Outside of Quebec City, the only walled city north of Mexico, the immense natural spectacle of Quebec province unfolds, offering a wealth of honeymoon adventures from exploring quaint villages that dot the countryside to fishing, skiing, dog-sledding and more in the endless expanse of forested wilderness.
A whirlwind of stunning architecture, innovative cuisine and vibrant, European-flavored romance are ready for you on your Quebec City honeymoon.
- TAKE IN A PLAY. Classic and contemporary plays, opera and dance take center stage at Grande Théâtre de Québec, the city’s main theater.Its two venues, the 1,875 capacity Salle Louis Fréchette and Salle Octave Crémazie, with 506 seats, are both named for legends of French-Canadian writing.
- SEEK OUT THAT PERFECT MOMENTO. With 50 boutiques, businesses and restaurants, Quartier Petit-Champlain in Lower Town is a wonderful location to casually browse local art or jewelry that will commemorate your Quebec City honeymoon.
- IMPROVE YOUR SLICE. A short 25-minute ride to Club de Golf de Cap-Rouge will have you teeing off on a beautiful 18-hole, par-72 course. Stay for a gourmet lunch or get advice from the on-site pro.
- RELAX IN JARDIN DES GOUVERNEURS. Fall in love all over again with a stroll through Jardin desGouverneurs (Governors' Park) near the Château Frontenac. Take in the natural beauty, impressive monuments and wonderful Victorian homes that line the south side for a truly Quebec City experience.
- STAND AMIDST HISTORY. Fairmont Le Château Frontenac attracts visitors from all over the world for a very good reason. The gorgeous turreted castle proudly stands as a reminder of the former governmental headquarters of New France, and is today the city’s most photographed landmark.
- SLOW DOWN FOR A BIT. Begin your romantic adventure in Quebec City with a ride in one of many available horse-drawn carriages. It’s a delightfully charming way to see the beautiful city up close while getting even closer to your new spouse.
Tips and Advice
- ELECTRICY: Canada uses the 110 volt system, which is the same as the United States.
- CURRENCY: The Canadian Dollar.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- SEASONAL ADVANTAGES: Depending on your preference, any time of the year is a great time for a Quebec City honeymoon. Winter weather doesn’t hold anyone back from ice skating, hockey gamesor attending the city’s Winter Carnival in January and February. Meanwhile, the rest of the year presents ample opportunity to revel in the exquisite flora of everything from spring flowers to falling leaves.
- IN TOWN TRANSPORTATION: Very likely you’ll be spending the majority of your time in the city proper, especially exploring the old section. You’ll find a free, environmentally-friendly bus to easily get here and there. Walking is easy, too, as most attractions are fairly near to each other, so it may be your best bet.
- HEADING OUT OF TOWN: Quebec City is replete with excitement to keep you busy for your entire honeymoon, but you may also want to head out to discover the countryside’s waterfalls, centuries-old farmhouses and even the spectacular beauty of the St. Lawrence River.
- DIVERSE OPPORTUNITIES: Gay newlyweds have plenty of ways to celebrate a wonderful honeymoon in Quebec City. For ideas and planning, check with the Quebec Gay Chamber of Commerce website at www.ccgq.ca.
Save on a summer wedding at Marco Beach Ocean Resort on Florida's Paradise Coast with this 2015 wedding special. MORE
Chance of a Thunderstorm76°/61°
Chance of a Thunderstorm74°/56°