The village of Whistler in the Canadian province of British Columbia is the essential destination for newlyweds seeking the ultimate ski honeymoon.The location of the 2010 Winter Olympics, Whistler and nearby Blackcomb boast over 200 ski trails for an exceptional experience for skiers of all skill levels with four glaciers and more vertical feet and lifts than any other location in North America. In addition to the slopes, you and your new spouse can feed your adventurous spirit with cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, heli-skiing and sleigh riding.
In the warmer months, your honeymoon in Whistler can be spent mountain biking on the challenging trails at Bike Park, golfing, horseback riding andsoaring through a temperate rain forest on a zip-line ride. And you can enjoy the stunning countryside high in the sky in the Peak 2 Peak Gondola ride between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.
When it comes to dining, game and fish take center stage at area restaurants such as the homemade fare at Ingrid’s Village Café and the award-winning cuisine of Rimrock Café. Then, evenings present opportunities for romantic interludes reminiscing in front of a warm fire over a quiet cocktail at Mallard Bar, or, if you still feel like moving, mixing it up with the lively crowd and energetic music of Maxx Fish.
The grandeur and excitement of Whistler inspire the perfect blend for romance and adventure on your honeymoon.
- EXPERIENCE NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE. Explore the history and living cultures of the Squamish and Lil’wat Nations at the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre, a stunning glass and stone facility with spectacular mountain and forest views. On display are sacred cultural treasures and icons, while outside is a traditional Squamish longhouse and replica Lil’wat pit house.
- INDULGE IN A SPA. Here’s your chance to begin your new life together feeling revived and renewed. Whistler presents a variety of opportunities for massage therapy, skin care, body wraps, steam baths and more in exceptional spas including the Vida Wellness Spa at Chateau Whistler Resort, Solarice Wellness Centre and Spa and numerous resort and independent locations in the area.
- GET IN TOUCH WITH NATURE. The Whistler Museum & Archives Society, open from June to Labor Day, lets you discover more about the flora and fauna of the Pacific Northwest as well as Whistler’s heritage.
- HIT THE LINKS. Honeymooning in Whistler adds a special bonus for golf lovers with several award-winning courses. At the base of Blackcomb Mountain, you’ll find Robert Trent Jones Jr.’s Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club, an 18-hole, par-72 course chosen by Golf Digest as Canada’s best new course in 1993. Five minutes north of the village is Nicklaus North at Whistler, while the Whistler Golf Club, designed by Arnold Palmer, is set amidst beautiful lakes, and creeks.
- TWO-WHEEL IT. Mountain bikers the world over come to experience the pleasures of Bike Park, complete with 124 miles of lift-serviced trails and mountain pathways. You can also take it inside at the Air Dome, a covered indoor mountain bike training facility. Or for a relaxing ride, head over to the paved Valley Trail that connects numerous local parks and neighborhoods.
- GO TO THE DOGS. See the area forests from a front-row seat dog sledding through the Soo Valley Wildlife Preserve. If the weather and terrain cooperate, you can have an opportunity to drive the dogs yourself.
- TEST YOUR VERTICAL LIMIT. Whether you’re a beginner or a true adventurer, Coast Mountain Guides offers a thrilling climb up a frozen waterfall and provides all the equipment and supplies you’ll need.
- TRY ISLAND HOPPING. Vancouver Island is surrounded by many smaller islands that each hold special beauty and mystique of their own. For example, Galiano Island is considered one of the most gorgeous areas around and is an excellent place for hiking and mountain biking within its miles of forest trails.
- TAKE A ZIP-LINE RIDE. If saying “I do” made your heart pound, imagine gliding high in the air on a zip-line ride! ZiptrekEcotours offers several tours to send you on your way at up to 55 mph over breathtaking vistas. Plus, you can stroll along suspended boardwalks in their TreeTrek at nearly 600 feet above ground.
- CATCH A FLICK. With December comes the prestigious Whistler Film Festival. Boasting a wealth of competitive categories and awards, the festival draws big names and impressive talent to screen more than 80 independent films and awards.
Tips and Advice
- GETTING AROUND: Within Whistler village you’ll find a free public-transit system known as the Whistler and Valley Express (WAVE). To get around the Valley and north to Pemberton, there is public transit, but you must pay. Cabs are also available. Your best bet is to rent a car to travel at your leisure from site to site while experiencing fantastic scenic views.
- CURRENCY: The Canadian Dollar.
- ELECTRICY: Canada uses the 110 volt system, which is the same as the United States.
HELPFUL HONEYMOON HINTS
- SKIING, FESTIVALS AND MORE: Whistler is something of a party destination for vacationing Vancouverites especially during the off-season, so you may want to plan your honeymoon around a seasonal activity or one of the many festivals. These generally take place from 4 to 10 days so plan accordingly.
- ALTERNATIVE FUN: Every February, Winterpride Whistler celebrates gay pride for a week of vibrant nightlife, fine dining, fabulous après-ski, and slope-side fun. It's the perfect time and place for an LGBT honeymoon in the mountains! Find out more at www.gaywhistler.com.
WEBSITE Instant Getaway Package: A Romantic Travel Deal to the Hilton Marco Island Resort is a vacation deal that gives you perks like romantic meals, complimentary dinners, late check-out and more! It's discount honeymoons offer that gives you Marco Island's best from the gorgeous Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort & Spa. MORE
Chance of Rain44°/29°