Once Mozambique’s mighty trading centre, Ibo Island has remained all but forgotten to the outside world for almost a century. Wandering around this colonial little town amongst old forts and ancient romantic buildings you can almost feel the history and fascinating stories crunching under your feet.
The lodge is set in lush tropical gardens and encompasses three magnificent mansions each over one hundred years old with walls over a meter thick and lofty high ceilings. All 14 rooms are individually designed and lovingly restored to stay authentic to Ibo’s history and original architecture. There is a choice of premium sea facing rooms, historical rooms, garden facing rooms or the Paradiso Villa. There are three swimming pools with comfy wooden loungers to relax and recline. Each mansion has its own garden and grounds offering lots of space, and there are day beds dotted around for guests to find a private nook to read, snooze or relax. The restaurant and bar is situated on the roof terrace of the Bela Vista mansion facing out over the bay for unforgettable sunsets. The Cuisine is a combination of traditional Mozambican with the freshest of seafood. Romantic and private dinners are served in a number of locations, or on the rooftop terrace with awesome views over the sea.
Ibo Island Lodge offers a variety of activities to sort everyone’s pace. A motorized or sailing dhow excursion takes you to one of Ibo’s best kept secrets…. A beautiful white sand bank beach totally surrounded by turquoise blue sea. We serve either breakfast or lunch under our Bedouin tent .There is ample opportunity for swimming, strolling, snoozing, and good snorkeling can be found right off the sand bank. We also offer the Guided cultural tour to all of our guests, this allows you the opportunity to interact with the locals - visit the local witch doctor, meet some of the islanders, get an “Ibo face-mask” and soak up the truly authentic island culture.
The Best Parts of Ibo Island Lodge
- Sandbank excursion
- Historical & Cultural guided tour
- Scuba Diving
- Guided Sea kayaking excursion
- Dolphin & Whale safaris
- Guided nature and bird walks
- Traditional Sunset Dhow cruise
- Ibo Spa
- Fishing & Yacht charters
- The Rooftop Terrace. The restaurant and bar is situated on the roof terrace of the Bela Vista mansion for unforgettable sunsets and spectacular views over the bay. Cuisine combines traditional Mozambican with the freshest of seafood.
- Restaurant & Bar
- 3 swimming pools
- Air conditioning
- Ceiling fan
- Large windows & double doors that open for sea breezes
- King size extra length handcrafted bed w. romantic mosquito net (twin beds also available)
- Indigenous teak and mahogany handcrafted furniture
- Antique style ‘pirate chest’ safe with lock
- Linen gown for use whilst on the island
- Healing Earth range of guest amenities
- Hair dryer
- Water flasks in the rooms
- Morning tea and coffee room service